BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Wellcraft Owners
 Wellcraft Californian
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 19 85 Californian 35 Convertible Topic Next Topic: Props for 1985 Wellcraft 3200 Coastal  

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  02:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there any fellow Wellcraft Californian owners out there?
Al

1977 34 Californian LRC Trawler
2006 Achilles LEX-96 w/ Honda 2HP O/B

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." Anonymous

Homeport: CA Delta, Riverboat Marina

chc

RO# 28591

Posted - Feb 02 2009 :  20:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess there aren't too many of us around. Mine's on the Chesapeake Bay. 1984 4 LRC w/twin Detroit's. Slowly rebuilding it; hard to get it apart 'caiuse it is so heavily built. Great boat.

Homeport: Essex, MD Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  02:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why limit to just the Wellcraft Californian's? Why not include the Marshall's too? After all, they started the line! I think they were the best ones, but ours was one of the first under the Wellcraft baner.

My FIL used to own a 34 with twin Perkins. Prior to that he had the 3rd 30 off the original line.

Great boats.

The 34 is now living its latest life in Hawaii.

bp

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Blues Cat

RO# 30222

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  08:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good to see someone else with a Californian. Mine is a 1981, 34' with twin 85 hp Perkins. That makes it a Wellcraft. It makes a great liveaboard. I'd take it out more often, but in post Ike Galveston Bay it's a bit like tiptoeing around your kid's room barefoot in the dark.
I've got a question for ya. The wood backing the raw water through hulls is saturated and needs replacing. Do I want to have the replaced wood glassed in or should it be exposed (as it is now) without fiberglass?

Thanks, Jeff
1979 Cal 31 Hull #8
"Bonnie Lou"
Kemah, Texas

Homeport: Kemah, TX Go to Top of Page

Solidus

RO# 32004

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  11:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1984 Californian 38 in Charleston, SC. Love it! Twin 454's. First post here, btw.

Homeport: SC Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the Califorinian series. Wish I had one.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

chc

RO# 28591

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  21:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We left NC 1/11/2010, and headed for the Keys. Arrived in Marathon mid March. Now headed back to the Chesapeake via Charleston, SC and othwer points North. Scooter, our Californian 34 has been great; a real workhorse.

Homeport: Essex, MD Go to Top of Page

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  16:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My initial post was a bit misleading as I now read it. Mine is a Marshall Boats model from the first year of production. The reason I asked about Wellcraft owners is b/c this is the Wellcraft Owners Forum.

Al

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." Anonymous

Homeport: CA Delta, Riverboat Marina Go to Top of Page

fighterpilot

RO# 31724

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  16:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone with a 1985 35 foot californian convertible which was built 1985-1987. Trying to find out how it really performs. Owner says 12 knots, papar work says cruise 17. Before I buy it would like to resolve this. Can have it hauled and check props to see if over propped. What should props be on that boat? Thanks

Homeport: florida Go to Top of Page

vonemster

RO# 14410

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  23:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a '85 Wellcraft Californian (35'). Great deep V hull. Low maintainence. I repowered with new 5.7 Crusaiders and props 4 years ago (was over proped). Cruises at 14 knots. Top end is 19 knots (WOT) at 4,500 rpms. That is with a fairly heavy hardshell dingy on davits above the swim step and twin 125 gal tanks. Take it whale watching and crabbing in Monterey Bay (CA). Solid, heavy boat, but stabile and tracks well.

Homeport: Monterey, CA Go to Top of Page

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Jul 13 2011 :  23:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vonemster, I'd love to see your boat sometime when I'm in Monterey. Never saw a 35 Cal up close and personal. I travel to MRY periodically on my job. Was flying over the bay 2 weeks ago and spotted 15-20 whales in about 10 minutes...we lost count. They are sure there in numbers!!

Email me if you'd like to show it off sometime. Likewise, if you ever get to the delta, let me know and I'll take you out on my 34.

Al
flywright34 at gmail dot com

Al

Homeport: CA Delta, Riverboat Marina Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jul 14 2011 :  02:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blues Cat

I've got a question for ya. The wood backing the raw water through hulls is saturated and needs replacing. Do I want to have the replaced wood glassed in or should it be exposed (as it is now) without fiberglass?

I believe having it thoroughly glassed in would be the best protection to prevent future saturation problems.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 19 85 Californian 35 Convertible Topic Next Topic: Props for 1985 Wellcraft 3200 Coastal  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.66 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com