BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 Help Wanted and Position Wanted
 Networking on Linked In
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Qimonda is Gone! Topic Next Topic: Looking to network on LinkedIn  

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  14:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if any ROs are registered on LinkedIn(dot)com? Looks like a great networking tool.
Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD

b_arrington

RO# 18340

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  14:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.

Can be a good tool, depending on how much you used it. I have relatively few "links", and haven't finished my profile. A friend I work with has over 300 links. Lots of group associations, etc, and growing.

Note: probably not a good idea to "link-in" your boss. Any time you update your profile or add a link, they get an update. So if you go update your professional profile to find a new job, they're likely to know.

Brad

"Jennifer B."
2006 270 Sea Ray Amberjack

Homeport: Setauket, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  16:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MikeeH won't have any problem with his boss.....who told him to take a hike last week.

Best of luck MikeeH!!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  16:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup.

Linkedin can be great if you use it right. I've already had a couple of very positive business events occur just in the last few months from actively utilizing it and I am not super active...only around 50-55 links right now. At first I didn't see much value in it but I have really started using it lately and really like it.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

b_arrington

RO# 18340

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  16:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flutterby

MikeeH won't have any problem with his boss.....who told him to take a hike last week.

Best of luck MikeeH!!!!

I read about that, and it really stinks.

For the rest of us still hanging on, I thought it was a good tip. When I linked to certain people I didn't realize that any time you update your profile everyone you link to gets an update. Kind of a "duh" moment when I figured that out.

Brad

"Jennifer B."
2006 270 Sea Ray Amberjack

Homeport: Setauket, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  18:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see how that could bite ya in the b#tt!

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  19:24:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am out there!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  20:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use it. It's a very valuable tool. Plan on taking some significant time to really flesh out your profile. Easy to get some info on there. Hard to make it concise and convey meaning.

Also, while having too few contacts means your not really networking, you can also sting yourself by having too many. There is such a thing as over networking, you might come off as nothing more than a billboard (looks good but only a half inch thick), or leave an impression as someone who does nothing BUT network. Sort of a guilty until proven innocent kind of thing. Though that also varies considerably by your role (A Salesman would be expected to have lots of contacts).

The point is to get out there and develop good useful contacts to network though, not just make your numbers go up.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Nancy

RO# 4224

Posted - Jan 23 2009 :  21:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm out there, and it's been good for finding and catching up with old friends, but hasn't been of much business use. Maybe I just don't know how to put it to good use.

Nancy

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  05:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like a way of inviting junkmail, offers and solicitations.

Am I wrong?

I've been invited to join but have not for that reason.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  09:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made a lot of contacts via LinkedIn, and actually hired someone I found via LinkedIn once. Mike are you out of work? What happened to the job in China?

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  10:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've gotten no spam or junk email via linkedin excepting of course the weekly updates the site sends me but those are useful as others stated as they give you updates on others profiles. I have found linkedin useful in that you can see who is connected to who and there have been several instances lately where I did not know so and so knows so and so and have been able, in a very natural way, procure introductions for business leads and vice versa. I thought linked in was a waste of time until the lasft few months when I actually started to try and utilize it.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

SteveG

RO# 2657

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  13:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, no spam or junk mail, ever from linkedin.

You have to use it right to make it worthwhile, in my opinion. If you just link to everyone under the sun, I think it loses it's value. I've been on there for a few years and have really made some great contacts through it.

Steve - Boatless - for now

Homeport: NH Coast Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jan 24 2009 :  16:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blouderback

I've made a lot of contacts via LinkedIn, and actually hired someone I found via LinkedIn once. Mike are you out of work? What happened to the job in China?

MikeH keeps the ROs updated on things in the NBR forum. He's been laid off by the company that sent him to China. That assignment ended about a year ago......

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Jan 27 2009 :  20:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use it, good tool.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  05:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can find me on LinkedIn as Michael Heffron.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

mannmade

RO# 12689

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  10:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shouldn't what happens in NBR stay in NBR?

"Here's to those who played and never got paid. They played for the love of the game."

Homeport: White's Hudson River Marina, New Hamburg, NY Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Jan 28 2009 :  10:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mannmade

Shouldn't what happens in NBR stay in NBR?

We know every time you make a post!

Been on it for about two years - very usefull both personally and professionally. And you've got all your contact and address info in there so when all your call logs and address books mysteriously disappear from your company Blackberry, you've got a back-up.

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  09:44:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I was going to connect with you on linked in, are the Greater Philadelphia Area | Logistics and Supply Chain ?

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 01 2009 :  12:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Yep, that's me. Michael Heffron.

Mike

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

joesauers

RO# 23205

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  09:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on LinkedIn and have found it to be helpful so far. No junk mail or spam either. Anyone can feel free to reach me at Joe Sauers. Greater Philadelphia Area.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  14:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew a Joe Sauers in Kittridge Colorado; His mother Ann married my Uncle Bill. Are you a relative?

MrsRobinson

RO# 19626

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on LinkedIn, feel free to link to me: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/46a/a56

I have had a lot of success networking there by joining Groups.

Greg
2001 Regal 3780
Twin Horizon 7.4

Homeport: Deltaville, VA Go to Top of Page

rjcress

RO# 29301

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  18:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been on LinkeIn for 6 months or so and never gotten any junk mail. It has been really useful for finding info about hiring managers when recruiters have been intentionally vague.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can ID everyone in an organization, their education and work history, hobbies, etc. It actually made me uncomfortable the last bit of leg work that I did... the recruiter was vague and said the hiring manager is "Amy", who reports to "Craig". Within 5 minutes I was able to find Amy's profile, Craig's profile, as well as those of everyone else in the organization. I'll talk to one of them tomorrow and have to be mindful to to come across as a creepy stalker-type, as I've never met the guy, but know quite a bit about him from his LinkedIn profile.

One use of LinkedIn that I find intriguing is to locate and contact people who have recently left companies that you are interested in. You can find out some interesting stuff that a current employee may be unwilling to share.

Should you care to learn about me, you can find me at:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffcress

I will be laid-off at the end of March, so please let me know if you have any thoughts, leads, jobs, etc. that look like a good fit, after you've seen my profile.
thanks!!

R Jeff Cress
1986 Carver 3607 Aft Cabin
1996 SeaDoo Challenger

Homeport: Smith Mountain Lake, Va Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Qimonda is Gone! Topic Next Topic: Looking to network on LinkedIn  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com