BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Misc. Meanderings
 Help Wanted and Position Wanted
 Qimonda is Gone!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Entry Level Helpdesk/Network Tech Needed Topic Next Topic: Networking on Linked In  

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  18:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The German based computer chip manufacturer company closed its doors today. No severance package for the employees.

Down side is Central Virginia lost another 1300 jobs; because the company filed for insolvency in Europe, there was no need to follow US and VA law regarding mass layoffs. Something to think about when dealing with foreign based companies.

The upside is there are a lot of computer scientists/programmers looking for jobs.

FWIW, Qimonda made chips for iPod, Wii, XBox, Play Station, LCD TV tuners, Cable boxes, digital cameras, graphics memory (nvidia), dRam, etc, etc, etc.....

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA

kd3pc

RO# 14468

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  18:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
david

The upside is there are a lot of computer scientists/programmers looking for jobs.

Where is the upside in this?? Maybe I am missing something here...

dave

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  19:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not talking dot com computer scientists who deployed their skills as being able to change the screen appearance in Windoze; I'm talking people who can think in binary and are very comfortable conversing in machine language.

Additionally, there are several banks in receipt of US taxpayer bailout money who have applied for temp immigration permission for foreign workers (green card) with training in this expertise who otherwise would (based on statistics) send a great of their earnings to their native home as opposed to spending it here. Here is an opportunity for America to do for America. Despite all the doom and gloom in the MSM, there are actually companies hiring. There are jobs available for those willing to relocate and work.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  21:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quimonda just finished building their huge manufacturing facility near (Sandstone) Richmond, VA. last year. I put most of the communications equipment in there. The place was so large Sprint/Nextel installed a cell site just for them on their property. It was called Infeneion during the construction phases which took the last 5 years. They had 2 huge clean manufacturing buildings on the site. I just called my tech. that takes care of them and he was shocked! Another great Nextel/Sprint customer bites the dust! Not only did they employee 1500 people but there were loads of contractors that worked there as well. Even I am shocked. Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Feb 03 2009 22:20:33

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

mandm1200

RO# 29581

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  21:48:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought this was area to post about job openings not plant closings. I guess I can scratch off Qimonda as a potential employer.

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Edited by - mandm1200 on Feb 03 2009 22:17:40

Homeport: Lewisberry, PA Go to Top of Page

Flatsflyer

RO# 16388

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  07:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have until the end of March to try and arrange new financing or a buyer. Know the president personnaly, she was at our house last month. This is strange as it is a subsidary of Infinion, which is a subsidary of Semens. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

John Coffey

Homeport: Palm Coast, Fl. Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  20:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have filed for protection and bankruptcy in Germany. We are at this point unable to recover any of Nextel/Sprint's equipment at the location. Same with Jevic Trucking 2 buildings full of equipment but the trustee will not allow us to remove the equipment it's at Sprint's legal now. Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Feb 25 2009 :  20:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Billylll

They have filed for protection and bankruptcy in Germany. We are at this point unable to recover any of Nextel/Sprint's equipment at the location. Same with Jevic Trucking 2 buildings full of equipment but the trustee will not allow us to remove the equipment it's at Sprint's legal now. Bill

Sorry for your fate. The 200mm chip crew have just had their severance packages taken from them as well. These folks were asked to stay on to clear the queue. The folks that were asked to leave immediately actually fared out better than those with a dedication to the company they loved. Says volumes.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

onthecreek

RO# 11208

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  13:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote] The folks that were asked to leave immediately actually fared out better than those with a dedication to the company they loved. Says volumes.
[/quote]

yup, been there...worked extra hours to help with the 'transition' too.

works that way with severance packages too. get one of the early deals because you don't want to be there for whatever's leftover.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Entry Level Helpdesk/Network Tech Needed Topic Next Topic: Networking on Linked In  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.4 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com