boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: capecodboater ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 what does it cost to transport a boat?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boat Coffee makers…  Small 2-4 cup Topic Next Topic: Replacing a Shifter  

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  17:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A co-worker of mine is spending the winter in FL, and wondering what it would cost to have his boat transported one way, about 1,000 miles from here, on a truck. Boat is a 33 foot, beam is 10', it's a cuddy style boat, so I think it can sit on a truck without height problems.

Just looking for a real rough estimate, something like this cost a grand, ten grand ?

Homeport: PA

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  17:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call my friend Dave. Its what he does for a living and I believe his pricing is very reasonable. Tell him Andrew sent you. 239-462-9914

Homeport: Florida Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  17:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alk,
You may also want to check with manufactures in the Florida area, if they are sending a new boat up north, you may get a good price to bring your friends boat down south (empty trailer, or a paying customer) :)

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

PhilipLankford

RO# 12806

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  19:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the bill to transport a 28' bowrider from NJ to Ft. Lauderdale and that was about 4 grand if I remeber right. That was several years ago, but gas prices are probably back down to where they were then.

Phil Lankford
Chris Craft 328
Luna Sea

Homeport: Philadelphia Go to Top of Page

jlee815

RO# 27501

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  19:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to check out a site like: 1staboard (dot) com. go under "view today's load" and you can get an idea of what people are paying. I had good success with a company called boat moves out of Acworth GA they should still be in business and they go nationwide. The thing to remember is cheap is not always good for this service. You need a safe carrier with the proper insurance safety record etc. Also catching a carrier who is going that way empty to pick up a load is always a good deal.

Jason
Doral Prestancia

Homeport: Lake Lanier GA Go to Top of Page

Type-A

RO# 24241

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May of 2008, I paid $4600 for a 1,500 mile trip from FL to WI - hauling my 300 Express.

Russ
Oshkosh, WI

2005 Cruisers Yachts 300 Express

Homeport: Oshkosh, WI Go to Top of Page

glenncal1

RO# 23116

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really with the price of used boats these days, it may make sense to just buy a older boat in Florida, just the overwidth permits for that trip will be a few hundred dollars.

Jim
Sonic 33 SE

Homeport: Centennial, CO Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  20:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was quoted between 8 to 10 thousand to bring a 42 from FL to NY last summer I thought the sound high. So I bought a local boat.

Dave

I just wish common sense was a little more common.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express
2008 Sea-Doo GTX Jet Ski sold

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Kastlercreative

RO# 15969

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  20:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Typically we've paid 2.75 (when fuel was low) to about $4 per mile (last years quote to move our 42) Hope that helps somewhat...

Lou
SeaRay 420 Aft
"FrequentSeas"
Trophy 1903 CC

Homeport: Omaha NE/Yankton SD Go to Top of Page

Chris_P

RO# 28295

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  20:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased a Rinker 330 (LOA 35'X11'Beam)from a dealer in Mary Esther FL. They are shiping it here to Toronto Canada for $4,000.00.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

mandm1200

RO# 29581

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can place it here and get bids. http://www.uship.com/find

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Homeport: Lewisberry, PA Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  21:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It probably depends on the price of fuel.
We have a friend who got a 45 ft. Searay shipped from the N.C. area to SW. La.
I think he paid about $6K 2 years ago.
They didn't have to pull anything off the boat. It is an express.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Veg

RO# 20854

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alk - I've done this twice. First time, several years ago, it was $3,400 for 31' Doral Intrigue (about 33' LOA, 11'2" beam) about 1,600 miles from Palmetto FL to Prescott WI.

Second time (last year) it was $4,000 to transport Tiara 2900 Open (also about 33' LOA, 11'4" beam)about 1,400 miles from Jacksonville FL to Prescott WI.

Prices on both cases included all permits. Gas was much more expensive at the time the Tiara was transported, which reflected on the steeper price for a shorter distance. The first job was a truck and flatbed, second job was a pickup with tri-axle boat trailer. In the first case, a 25% deposit was required. In the second they agreed to do COD. I've never been willing to pay fully in advance.

Neither time did I have the boat shrink wrapped, and neither of them suffered any damage during transport. The Tiara just rode open, which was easy because the boat is designed to get wet in the cockpit with no real issues. The Doral rode with the cockpit cover in place, which I reinforced by tying down with a few ropes accross the top. Both boats got here in excellent shape, though the Doral got here with a very dirty cockpit, from soot that entered the cockpit as it rode backwards on the trailer. The Tiara rode bow-forward behind a pickup, and it got here seemingly very clean, since apparently it was rained on quite a bit along the way.

BTW, I never had to remove the arch on either of the boats. The Doral arch folded down. On the Tiara, I basically put the antenna and anchor light down and that was it.

Good luck.

2001 Tiara 2900 Open - "O Sole Mio" - Stillwater, MN

Edited by - Veg on Feb 12 2009 10:11:49

Homeport: Stillwater, MN Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Boat Coffee makers…  Small 2-4 cup Topic Next Topic: Replacing a Shifter  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.72 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com