BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: aenglebert1 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Looking for a Boat Hauler in Upstate NY
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rip off at a marina Topic Next Topic: 95 regal 322 w/454 stern drives  

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  22:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently slipped at Lake George NY and may have an opportunity to transit the Erie Canal to Buffalo (where we used to live) for a special event in late Aug. We are thinking of hauling the boat out of LG transporting to somewhere along the Erie/barge canal (aka Mohawk River).

We are thinking of several different scenarios. Does anyone have any recommendations for boat haulers in this narrow geographic area.

I am about to contact haulers from the LG area as well as the Buffalo area to get an estimate.

Are there any recommendations as to what I should be concerned about?

The boat is a 2004, Monterey 302 CR. I have a 11’ clearance for bridges and no external appendages other than a radar arch with VHF, nav lights etc… no radar. Gross weight is approx 11K lbs.

Thanks,

Jim

Homeport: Lake George NY

Ken Ralyon

RO# 16759

Posted - Mar 16 2009 :  13:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lake,
check this out.........
http://www.uship.com/landingpages/xtemplate/boat_graphic_promo2b.aspx

you say you have 11' bridge clearance,is that on the water or on a trailer?
you mite have to tack your arch off.

I have heard that people who have used uship were pleased.

I guess you contact them with what you have and where its going and they have people to bid on the job.

woosterken

Homeport: ohio Go to Top of Page

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  22:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ken, I'll try them out.

Homeport: Lake George NY Go to Top of Page

akaweed

RO# 30588

Posted - Mar 18 2009 :  22:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.candjtransport.com

wouldn't ever think of using anyone else. my move was a dream, these are good haulers, ask for jim tell him scott with the 356 carver in missouri sent you his way...

Homeport: Branson, MO Go to Top of Page

tugboat kevin

RO# 24998

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats a pretty small and easy to transport boat ask the marinas around your area and the ones where your headed. i have seen folks buy or borrow a trailer for the task. fishermen around here often truck there boat to the other end of the lake for fishing derbys one boat is a 34 foot 12 wide dual inboard

Homeport: oswego ny Go to Top of Page

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  09:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One More to add to the mix... I used Andersen Boat Transport http://andersenboat.com/index.asp?lg=1&w=pages&r=0&pid=2 two years ago to haul a boat about that size from Alexandria Bay to the upper Hudson with great success. They are the regional pros.

Homeport: East Coast, USA Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  11:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anderson absolutly screwed a buddy of mine last memorial day weekend. He was supposed to haul his boat the Friday before memorial day so he could be in for the weekend. That morning he called and said that he could not make it because a "bigger job" came up. I use Bob at Alcove Carriers in Schuylerville, he will give you a better price and is very depenable.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

RobertV

RO# 28629

Posted - Mar 19 2009 :  22:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second Bob at Alcove - he hauled my 34X from his marina to Sacandaga.

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake, NY Go to Top of Page

swabby9009

RO# 11889

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  01:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't make a Major Project out of it. Just get one of your local Marinas to haul it over to the Champlain Canal and start cruising. You aren't far from it and it's quick and easy. Doesn't make much sense to get it hauled to Buffalo....hence no need for a Transporter from Buffalo. If you're gonna haul it all the way to Buffalo you might as well get in your car and drive that.

Homeport: brewerton ny Go to Top of Page

seven up

RO# 22809

Posted - Mar 20 2009 :  20:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob at Alcove. Used them twice. Very satisfied.

Homeport: USA Go to Top of Page

Lakesponge

RO# 847

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called one of the haulers: $1750 one way. We’re looking into the logistics and time off (vacation) required to do this over a two to three week period, or to do it over the course of a month and still work some.

Work – what a PITA! But we have to do it to afford our toys!

Homeport: Lake George NY Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  22:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That price sounds high. Six years ago Bob at Alcove charged me $1000 to haul my boat from the Finger lakes to Sacandaga. The price included him taking the windshield and rails off the flybridge to get it down to the right height. Anderson wanted $1200 and I had to remove the props and do the flybridge stuff myself.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

albaris

RO# 7807

Posted - Mar 28 2009 :  04:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, myself, have never had a boat transported. But folks at my marina, including the former marina owner swear by Lock View Marina and Transport Company. Their website is::

http://www.lockviewmarina.com/

You can get a quote online from the website.

Al Baris
M/V Lucky Find III
MTOA # 3497
38' PT Trawler Sedan
USPS & MTOA Port Captain
Sodus Bay, NY

Homeport: Sodus Bay, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rip off at a marina Topic Next Topic: 95 regal 322 w/454 stern drives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com