boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 82 ]  [ Newest Member: BUTCH1 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chesapeake and Delaware Bays
 The C & D Canal
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Splash... Were back in the Bay Topic Next Topic: Anybody there?  

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  20:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking about a summer day trip adventure from the Delaware River, through the C&D Canal, to Elk Neck State Park. I'd hang there for the day, on a beachy area somewhere. I figure the whole trip is about 82 miles (one way) from where I launch at the Neshaminy State Park, south on the Delaware River to the C&D, through it, and over to Elk Neck.

Here are my questions:

1. Do I need special permits or permission or reservations or anything to go through the canal?

2. Are there any locks?

3. Are there any "tolls"?

4. Is there a speed limit?

5. What are the dangers of the canal?

6. Once at Elk Neck, is fuel easy to find?

7. Is it permissible / feasible / desirable to beach the boat somewhere and hang out near the state park?

8. Are there any facilities (restrooms) there and on the way?

9. What about camping overnight at the campgrounds there?

10. Is there something I haven't though of?

Thanks in advance...
-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  21:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, have you taken a look at the U S Coast Pilot? I am not from the area, but it looks like Coast Pilot #6 might cover the area involved. The info is directed to large commercial, but there is much valuable info in there...

( They are downloadable as PDFs and right in your favorite price range: $00.00 )

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

froggy3k

RO# 4247

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, as someone who has taken a bowrider into the De river around the canal, it can get rough. Not being a smarta$$ either. I had a Winner 18 footer and took many waves over the bow on a calm day. The ship traffic can cause some wild waves. Even in the canal I used to stuff the bow with the passing ships. This is coming from someone who takes their 11' Whaler under the DE Mem Bridge from the Christina River in Wilm. I'll update more as that's my home ground. I'm sure others will chime in. Fuel is available at Summit North marina about 5 miles before the Chesapeake City bridge. After that, you may have to head up the Bohemia for fuel. Elk Neck park does have camping but I have no idea if they let you come in by boat. No locks, no tolls, no speed limit. However, BIG ships transit the canal. When we come through there (in a 47), I never stay in the middle. Always to one side or the other. If you loose power, they come down on you quickly.

My first REAL boat (the bowrider) spent many of miles from DE City where we put in down to Turkey Point. You could always trailer down to Elk State Park (they have a nice ramp), camp and run from there. Lots of nice anchorages in that area.

Homeport: Sunny SW FL Go to Top of Page

tr_guy79

RO# 10887

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  22:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

As froggy said, the bay can get real snotty, in a short period of time, and also be aware of the some for the turkey point area, as this where several bodies of water converge. I have nearly stuffed the bow of my 23 express (which has A LOT of freeboard) by turkey point on what would otherwise be considered a calm day.

As far as fuel, you have Summit North, then Schaeffers at the bridge, Harbor North another few miles down, and then Jackson about 10 miles or so around Turkey Point and up the river. I am not familiar with facilities on the Bohemia.

Are you looking to camp, or just looking for a nice place to hang? If you are just looking for a peaceful place to hangout you have the "Fish Beach" by the Flats, Greenbank (between Perryville and Charlestown), Lloyds Creek at the mouth of the Bohemia, and Sand Island in Havre De Grace. There is also Garrett Island, but the jury is still out on what is happening there. May, or may not be no tresspassing.

-Shane

"McKenna Renee" '72 Marinette 32 FBE
'94 Yamaha Wave Raider 701R

Homeport: Chesapeake City, MD Go to Top of Page

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  22:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no locks, tolls, speed limits, or reservations required in the canal. Can't think of any dangers specific to the canal either. I take my 23 bowrider on that trip all the time. DE River can get a little rough on a windy day south of Essington and just gets worse until you hit the canal, other days it will be smooth as glass the whole way. Same with the area around Turkey point, although it seems to be boat traffic more than weather that gets things kicking up on that side.

83 miles sounds a bit long. It's 13 miles across the canal, and then 41 miles up the DE river to Philly.

Fuel / reststops on the way should not be a problem. Coming south, fuel would be available in Philly, Essington, Delaware City, Summit North and Schaffers(or whatever it's called now) on the canal, and Harbor North on the Elk.

I would advise against boating to Elk Neck, and camping - for two reasons. It would not be wise to leave your boat anchored overnight in such busy water, and even if you did, from what I remember, the campgrounds are all way up the hill from the beach, which would be a tough walk with camping gear.

As an alternative, you might consider trailering further south, to DE City, Elk Neck, or Sassafras and camping at Hart Miller Island, which is designed for camping from your boat.

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

BAYCRUSIER

RO# 29044

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  22:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob

I have made the trip from Riverside N.J to the Bohemia in a 24ft aft cabin. From the Del Memorial bridge to the Canal can get nasty on a nice day. There is a no wake zone at Schaeffers and the entrance of mechanics cove. There is a nice area up near the 213 bridge on the Bohemia where you can throw a hook and jump in. Short ride from the Elk if you don't want to go down to turkey point. Like tr_guy79 said that area can get nasty also..The Trip is a nice trip but watch your weather. P.S. Follow the channel into the canal Don't cut off that bouy there are rocks alot of them. Joe

Homeport: Delanco,New Jersey Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  06:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Like all have said, its a nice trip if the weather cooperates. That said, if you really want to experience the C&D (kind of boring most of the time and that's when things are good... you don't want an "exciting" trip in the C&D!) and the Chesapeake in your boat I would STRONGLY advise that you trailer down to the Bohemia or the Sassfras Rivers and launch there. You could spend a all day and night on the Sassy alone and not see all the great anchorages.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

nph

RO# 16897

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob,

You can do this trip in your boat with out any hesitation!!! Yes the lower part of the delaware can get snotty, and the canal can be have some big ships, going thru it, you may have to slow down at times, but you can safely do it. The first time I did it was in a 24 foot pontoon boat. Yes I had to slow down but, there are times I have to slow down in my 27 express cruiser also. ALK is right when it is windy, it can get real sloppy below Essington, When the wind and the tide are oppiste each other, it sucks. Plan your day and have fun.

One thing to consider,is swinging by Delaware ciy. It is located confluence of the Delaware River and the original eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal (C&D Canal). Your boat is low enogh that you can continue on to the C&D proper. There is a bridge with 13' clearance. You can get fuel there. Makes for a nice break.

Pick your day, be willing to chnage days if the weather does not cooperate, have fun

Homeport: Bordentown NJ Go to Top of Page

Big Bliss

RO# 13313

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  09:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an absolute no wake speed limit around Chesapeake City until behind the Tow Boat station, behind the bridge.

Dominic and Jacky

Bliss - 2008 Jeanneau Prestige 46

Grasonville, MD

Homeport: Grasonville, MD Go to Top of Page

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  10:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
160 miles in one day will be a bit rough in an 18 footer. At 20 mph average that is 8 hours of pounding. You are going to be beat at the end of the day. I found that 120 miles in my 19 foot Wellcraft in one day was plenty.

I did two day trips in that area. One I started in Riverside NJ and went to Trenton then back down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It was a “Career Day”… flat as glass the entire day. Another trip I did the upper Chesapeake. I put the boat in at a marina near the canal (Town Point/Port Herman area if I recall) and finished the day with a cruise back and forth through the canal as I figured that it would be calmer in the Canal than the Chesapeake Bay and I was right. When I ducked out into the Delaware Bay on the out leg, it was no place that I wanted to be…too choppy

In any event, with that size of a boat, the Golden Rule is to leave early (like when the sun comes up) and get your heavy cruising done before the wind and traffic kick up

Homeport: Ocean Gate, NJ, Bayport, MN Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  11:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool. Thanks for the infor, everyone. Maybe this should be a trip with "Jimmy" and the boys, and not the wife and kids. They might get bored or pounded too much.

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  20:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you need a calm place to anchor overnight, you can anchor in Engineer's Cove, also known as "the basin" at Chesapeake City. It is a protected cove off the south side of the canal in Chesapeake City. There is also a marina there called Chesapeake Inn and Marina if you want to dock. There is a restauramnt there, too. ...But, if you want peace an quiet, do Do not plan to anchor there on the last weekend in June, or you'll run into about 500 other boats in the cove at the Canal Day festival. Think of that as Mardi Gras on the water.

Glenn
Herndon, VA
Four Winns Sundowner 245
"Going Coastal"

Homeport: Upper Chesapeake Bay / Key Biscayne, FL Go to Top of Page

SCORPIO

RO# 4810

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  22:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never done the canal trip myself, but it sounds interesting. I'm at the mouth of the bay in Lewes and would like to run up to the upper Chesapeake sometime. Does the upper Delaware get any more choppy than the mouth of the bay?
BTW boat is a 300 Sea Ray Sundancer 11' beam.

Chris USPS AP

Homeport: Lewes, Delaware Go to Top of Page

tr_guy79

RO# 10887

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  23:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule of thumb... All else equal, the shallower, the choppier (simply physics) Of course all things are not equal and there is a point of diminishing returns. You mileage may vary based on driving habits, level of tune, and dealer installed equipment.

Let me know if I wasn't vague enough, or did not adhere to the EPA's disclaimer well enough...

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  05:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience the upper Delaware Bay can get just as nasty as the rest of the bay if you have a wind out of the north (coming right down the river) and blowing against an incoming tide. We had a very wet flybridge on a 38' Silverton one time when when we made the trip from Cape May and into the C&D.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

PhilipLankford

RO# 12806

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  07:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in 10 foot rollers between the Del Memorial Bridge and the CnD. Not pretty!!!

That being said- on a good day- it's smooth as glass....

Phil Lankford
Chris Craft 328
Luna Sea

Homeport: Philadelphia Go to Top of Page

mrmal

RO# 2958

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  13:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you tell me how long it would take from Cape May to either Baltimore or Annapolis? Is it doable in one day? If not, where is a good place to stop on the way?

Joe
2003 Carver 444 CMY, "Sereni-Tee"

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Bill 2

RO# 1779

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  14:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Weather permitting, it is definitely doable in one day.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01

Homeport: Cape Cod Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  15:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

<<..."Can you tell me how long it would take from Cape May to either Baltimore or Annapolis?"....>>

It deepnds on your speed and if you need a fuel stop(s), which takes time itself.

Glenn
Herndon, VA
Four Winns Sundowner 245
"Going Coastal"

mrmal

RO# 2958

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  06:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
assuming good weather and no fuel stops...

Joe

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  09:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

What spped?

Glenn
Herndon, VA
Four Winns Sundowner 245
"Going Coastal"

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you take a chart you'll see the distance so you can figure out the time it will take... we can't guess how long it will take you without knowing your cruise speed!!!

it's about 120NM from Cape May to Annapolis... so it's an easy run at 20kts. I've done it at 10kts, it's no problem in one day.

not many places to stop between Cape May and the CD, at least for larger boats. plenty of marinas and anchorages between the D side of CD and Annapolis.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

mrmal

RO# 2958

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will be travelling at about 18-19 knots. Is it quicker to go to Baltimore from Cape May?

Joe

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baltimore is a little closer than annapolis, about 100NM to Cape May or so. Check the charts, i dont' have them in front of me right now...

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  12:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Baltimore is about 25 miles north of Annapolis but there is a long NWZ Patapsco River leading into Baltimore so I'm not certain that the actual cruising time is short enough to make you want to change your destination just because Baltimore is further north.

Mike

tr_guy79

RO# 10887

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  22:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One thing to keep in mind, is that in a 20 foot bowrider, it won't take much to make you wish you had a place to ditch off.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. I have seen steep 4 footers, and nothing more than a ripple in the course of less than an hour on the upper bay.

If it were me, and time allowed, I would plan to make it a two day trip, stopping off somewhere along the way to relax and enjoy your surroundings. There is likely, not a more beautiful place to boat on the East coast, than the upper Chesapeake Bay (But then again, I'm a bit biased.)

Big Bliss

RO# 13313

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  09:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending how far into Baltimore you are planning to venture it will take you some 20-30 minutes just from Fort McHenry to the Innerharbour, add another 20-30 minutes form the mouth of the Patapsco to Fort McHenry, you are easy in Naptown in an hour from the northern shore of the Patapsco.

Dominic and Jacky

Bliss - 2008 Jeanneau Prestige 46

Grasonville, MD

Homeport: Grasonville, MD Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Splash... Were back in the Bay Topic Next Topic: Anybody there?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 2.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com