BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 '95 regal 322 w/454 stern drives
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for a Boat Hauler in Upstate NY	Topic Next Topic: Mary Kate for Barnacles  

autlaw

RO# 20045

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  22:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, looking to move up from the 265. Does anyone have and feedback on this model. Any problem areas? It has merc454 w/b3's. thanks, Alan
Regal Commodore 265
Annapolis, MD

Homeport: Annapolis

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  23:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is my dream boat. The 322 or 3260 in the more recent years. There is a guy on this board with that exact boat. It is a great looking boat. He added the extended swim platform and it looks real nice. I'm not sure about the 95, w/454's, but some of the specs I have seen is a cruise speed around 27 MPH burning 15 GPH. Lots of storage, nice cockpit layout, roomy helm, and the cabin looks well layed out as well. There is one in NH for $38k and several others spread around.

Check out this link from Boat Test. I am pretty sure it is a very similar layout.
http://www.boattest.com/boats/Overview.aspx?ID=218

Let me know how you make out. If I could sell my boat at a good number I would be asking the same question as you.

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  23:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are not really getting much more for the jump you desire. The 322 is in reality a 29' + some smoke and mirror advertising to get it to a 32'.

Don't get me wrong, it is pretty, rides well and fast. A friend has one. He cruises at 32 Knots at 32 GPH with the same power you are looking at.

Beam makes a boat. I believe the Regal has a 10' +/- beam. That makes for a fast day cruiser, but not a boat you would want to spend a week on. Again. It is a great boat.....what do you want from it is the real question.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  23:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen claims of LOA 35' and Beam of 11'-2". Is that only the newer models?

MJK

"Party of Five"

jeremyp111

RO# 11603

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  03:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the exact boat I have and my wife and I absolutely love it. (I think King5899 was referring to my boat?)
There are no real problem areas that I can think of which is usually hard to say, but Regal built it right. The only issue that I had to deal with was with the fresh and waste water tank monitor. The sensors crapped out on me and I replaced the entire system with one from Snake River which works flawlessly as it does not use in-the-tank sensors.

One of my friends also has a 95 Regal 322 and he didn't have any problems with his either. The only thing I didn't quite like was the ladder, but with the new swim platform came a new ladder so problem solved.

As long as the previous owner(s) kept up with proper maintenance then you should be good to go. Just get yourself a quality survey. The boat has a 32' LOA with an 11'2" beam and with the extended swim platform I put on last year the LOA is now 35'. King5899, those measurements are correct for all 322 and 3260 models with the extended platform, regardless of year. Without the extended platform the LOA is 32'.

It's a fast boat for it's size with the Twin 7.4L / B3 sterndrives. I cruise around 33-34 mph rb2rb2rb2rb2@gr5tgr5tgr5tgr5t 3200rpms and it tops out just over 50mph.

I have to disagree with David about the 322/3260 being a 29'+ smoke and mirrors....
I've looked very closely at other 32 footers over the years from just about all the major manufacturers (Sea Ray, Maxum, Monterey, Rinker, Cruisers, Chaparral, Four Winns, etc). The LOA and beam specs put it on the larger side of the other 32 footers out there. Some have the same beam, but I'm pretty sure that none of them have a larger beam than the 322/3260.

Autlaw, If you have any questions or want to chat about it, feel free to PM me or send me an email me to jeremyp111 (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Here's some pics of my boat with the new platform..

Jeremy
1995 Regal 322 Twin 7.4L Bravo 3s
"CLOUD 9"

Edited by - jeremyp111 on Mar 24 2009 03:56:16

Homeport: Lake Winnipesaukee, NH Go to Top of Page

autlaw

RO# 20045

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  05:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm going to go back soon and do a full survey. BTW, does anyone have an electronic copy of the owners manual? Can't find the shower sump or access to the forward bilges. thanks, Alan

Regal Commodore 265
Annapolis, MD

Homeport: Annapolis Go to Top of Page

jeremyp111

RO# 11603

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alan,

Here's where the aft bilge pump access panel is located.

Here is where the shower sump access panel is located. See the metal strip across the carpet? The carpet tucks underneath, but all you have to do is grab it and pull up. Look closely and you'll see what I mean.

Hope this helps...

Jeremy
"CLOUD 9"

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  07:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeremy,

Yes, you were who I was thinking about. Great looking boat. You mention your cruise is 33-34 MPH, what type of GPH do you get with the 454's? Do you know if the hull is cored at all and with what material?

Thanks,
MJK

"Party of Five"

jeremyp111

RO# 11603

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  08:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MJK,

Thanks for the compliment on my boat. I try to keep it in tip top shape. My wife might even say I'm a bit obsessive.

I've never calculated the gph, but I may be installing flow meters this year. I do know the 7.4's are thirsty! They seem to be OK at 3200-3300 rpms, but if I push it faster I burn through gas noticably quicker. The hull is solid fiberglass, but I believe the transom is cored. Not sure with what though. Regal glasses and seals all the cutouts in the transom and drain holes in the bilge to prevent water intrusion. Every spring I go around my boat with a plastic hammer to check and she's been good so far.

Regards,

Jeremy
"CLOUD 9"

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  10:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<"...I have to disagree with David about the 322/3260 being a 29'+ smoke and mirrors....
I've looked very closely at other 32 footers over the years from just about all the major manufacturers (Sea Ray, Maxum, Monterey, Rinker, Cruisers, Chaparral, Four Winns, etc). The LOA and beam specs put it on the larger side of the other 32 footers out there. Some have the same beam, but I'm pretty sure that none of them have a larger beam than the 322/3260...">

They all did it. Look at the Regal 360 and the Regal 402. Virtually the same boat. LOA is LOA and IMHO is a piss poor way to measure a boat unless you are going to transport it with multiple boats. LWL is more accurate. In an express cruiser, usually anything foward of where the bow hits the water is not really useable space and other than access and fun time, neither is a swim platform.

I say the same about Saint Max. The factory drawings show her to be 33' w/o the pulpit. 35'10" w/ the pulpit. Probably close to 38' with the extended platform (not on factory drawings).

I calculated her to be ~29 at the water line.

Perhaps I did not articulate it well. I was trying to say boats are as much about marketing as anything else, so make sure one does ones homework prior to signing anything. I apologize if it did not come across that way.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Split Decision

RO# 26024

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  12:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beam does help one enjoy longer stays on the boat. Since Four Winns was brought up..... I believe the 328 Four Winns has a 11'9" beam. That is a little more than half a foot wider than the Regal.

Mike.

2001 328 Four Winns Vista
"Hour Decision"

Homeport: Lake St. Clair, Ontario, Canada Go to Top of Page

jeremyp111

RO# 11603

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  13:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KiDa

They all did it. Look at the Regal 360 and the Regal 402. Virtually the same boat. LOA is LOA and IMHO is a piss poor way to measure a boat unless you are going to transport it with multiple boats. LWL is more accurate. In an express cruiser, usually anything foward of where the bow hits the water is not really useable space and other than access and fun time, neither is a swim platform.

I say the same about Saint Max. The factory drawings show her to be 33' w/o the pulpit. 35'10" w/ the pulpit. Probably close to 38' with the extended platform (not on factory drawings).

David,
I agree 100% with you on this point. There really is no standard used throughout the industry to make it easier for potential buyers. There should be.

Mike, you are right about the four Winns. I just checked, it does have a beam of 11'9". The extra 7" in beam usually does make a difference.

Jeremy

Jeremy
"CLOUD 9"

The Bear

RO# 31034

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  22:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 1993 Regal 9.8 Ventura looks exactly like Jeremyís boat in the pics above even the same color.

Ours has twin 350 mags instead of the big 7.4ís we get incredible fuel economy and can still do 50mph top end on the lake.

When we bought her we got to compare it out of the water sitting right next to a 2004 Regal 3260, both boat lengths in the book were 32ft. the 9.8 that we bought was actually two feet longer when doing actual measuring. Not including any extended swim platforms.

Down inside it was pretty amazing how much more room the 9.8 had compared to the 3260 I could not stand up all the way in the 3260 but I can in our 9.8

I was told by several friends that years ago they use to measure boats from inside forward to inside aft, now days they measure them out side to out side that is why they are different lengths.

By the way we absolutely love our Regal; she is fast, pretty, comfortable, big, tons of storage, and good fuel economy.

"Bear Necessities"

Life is good today!

Homeport: Indiana Go to Top of Page

Greg Schoenberg

RO# 20280

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  11:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I owned a Regal 2465 and it was the nicest boat of it's class. Trouble is....we grew to dislike it's class. Life in a shoe. Subsequent boats have been pilothouse or sedans, and the view from them is fabulous. So...in my opinion, you're getting a bigger shoe.

-Greg

Homeport: Kalama, Washington Go to Top of Page

autlaw

RO# 20045

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  22:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, corvette's and minivans, to each his own.

Alan

Regal Commodore 265
Annapolis, MD

Homeport: Annapolis Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  23:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Ditto Alan. I too had a 2465. The interior room was comparable to most 30 footers. Friends with Maxum's and Sea Ray's were amazed at the fact the 245 was only 25 feet long.

In this economy and based on last summer's gas prices, I really wish I still had the Regal. It was a great boat for the money. I will admit the head room was tight for a 6'4" man, but what boat is not a compromise?

IMHO, Harlen has the best deal around and I may follow in his footsteps....unless the right 6 numbers show up on the right day!!!!!! A 30 footer that he trailers to a reasonable (2 day) distance from his destination and indoor storage on his trailer.

My 2 cents.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Previous Topic: Looking for a Boat Hauler in Upstate NY	Topic Next Topic: Mary Kate for Barnacles  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com