BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 80 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Rip off at a marina
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: solar panel to trickle charge batteries? Topic Next Topic: Looking for a Boat Hauler in Upstate NY
Page: of 2

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  13:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend who is a boating novice approached me with a estimate from his marina on replacing a prop on his 5.0L Mercruiser with a alpha drive for 271 bucks for an aluminum prop which is a little high and than 4 hrs labor at 95 bucks an hour. Over 700 dollars to replace an aluminum prop. I told him to go to the local police and file a report for Robbery. How can the marina justify 4 hours to change a prop. The boat is still layed up on the hard so they don't have to take it out of the water. I told him to run like the wind. The bad part his he was going to do it until he talked to me.
Al

Homeport: FREEPORT

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  13:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find a new Marina.

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  13:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"How can the marina justify 4 hours to change a prop."

Very slow workers with nothing else to do :)

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the marina has a minimum labor charge?

--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALKA2710

Posted - Mar 24 2009 : 13:42:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A friend who is a boating novice approached me with a estimate from his marina on replacing a prop on his 5.0L Mercruiser with a alpha drive for 271 bucks for an aluminum prop which is a little high and than 4 hrs labor at 95 bucks an hour. Over 700 dollars to replace an aluminum prop. I told him to go to the local police and file a report for Robbery. How can the marina justify 4 hours to change a prop. The boat is still layed up on the hard so they don't have to take it out of the water. I told him to run like the wind. The bad part his he was going to do it until he talked to me.
Al

If he is a novice the first thing you need to do is direct him here. Second, tell him it is an easy DIY and help him.

My $0.02.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure it was not a gold prop?

And why even replace, pull it, have it reworked and reinstall after greasing shaft with Merc 101.

Why is he not doing it himself.

He should buy a small supply of the fancy locking tab washers you need to replace each time, a prop wrench that on the non wrench end has a hook to deal with the fancy locking tab washer and some Merc 101 grease. If he wants to replace the prop, save the old one as a spare, maybe get it reworked.

And if he is really into learning, then tilt outdrive up, lean over swim platform wear some blurry glasses and change it from there mostly by feel.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez, tell him to change it himself! I'm a little old lady and I change my own props every year. No big deal. Takes me 15 minutes now; took me 1/2 hour the first time I did it.

I think the marina saw him coming.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should mention the name of the Marina so others can be warned. Should be a half hour labor total. My old marina was a rip off too but they only charged 1/2 labor to R/R a prop.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you getting the whole story.
It's possible the prop stripped out more than just he prop and they need to replace part of the lower unit.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

blouderback

RO# 24057

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:51:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's called free trade. If they want to charge that much, fine. We don't have to pay them if we don't want to.

-Bob-
"Annabo": 2005 Larson Senza 206 w/5.0L Bravo III

Homeport: Chalfont, Pennsylvania Go to Top of Page

Bill 2

RO# 1779

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

Are you sure you getting the whole story.
It's possible the prop stripped out more than just he prop and they need to replace part of the lower unit.

My thoughts as well. It certainly is possible that there's more to just this one side of that story and that there's something else more labor intensive needed as part of this prop replacement.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01

Homeport: Cape Cod Go to Top of Page

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  14:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that the prop is "frozen" on the shaft ... if not I agree with the rip off!!

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

SteveG

RO# 2657

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  15:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've changed a prop, in the water, in less than 15 minutes. 4 hrs is nuts. But then again, he doesn't have to have them do the work. Maybe that's a "not to exceed" quote, to account for what Pete is suggesting?

Steve - Boatless again

Homeport: NH Seacoast & Lakes Region Go to Top of Page

Crownline 242

RO# 21744

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  15:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Siezed is my first guess. But the price sounds more like a prop shaft replacement

Homeport: Ocean Gate, NJ, Bayport, MN Go to Top of Page

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  16:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the invoice in my hand and read the estimate my self. That is all it said new prop 271 and 4hrs labor at 95 an hour. Now we are good friends and I told him I will find the prop for him and if the marina doesn't let him work in there yard I will jump in the water and change it for him. He is going to have to buy and extra nut and washer because I am sure 1 is going in but it is alot cheaper than there price. The marina is in Rockland County when I go to work tomorrow I will post it.

Homeport: FREEPORT Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  16:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree we probably don't have all the details; but bear in mind this was an ESTIMATE. Who knows what kind of "problems" they would have encountered, given the opportunity!

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  16:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walterv

"How can the marina justify 4 hours to change a prop."

Very slow workers with nothing else to do :)

They could be Union Members...

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  16:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He should have taken estimates.
I changed removed and replaced my own when I had an outboard.
I do know that I paid $400 for a 19 inch, 4 blade stainless
steel prop for a 200 HP Mercury outboard. Aluminum should be
close to half that much.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  17:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't just buy one washer and nut buy a few. Maybe even a thrust washer (there are older and new ones (thicker and thinner). Get a prop wrench to deal with the washer. If you try and use a screwdriver you will chip the hub.

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

winters remedy

RO# 28820

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  18:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bravo 3 drives and takes me 15 minutes to do all 4 props. maybe they had to go get the prop and is charging for travel time.

Homeport: stony point ny Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  19:48:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Wonder if it is a typo. It says "4 hrs labor at 95 an hour." maybe it is missing the "1/" part, so it should read "1/4 hrs at 96 an hour.".
Your friend should ask the marina directly why it says 4 hours when all your boat buddies say it should be 30 minutes maximum. It would be interestin to hear their response.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  19:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember the last time someone charged me for "1/4" of an hour... I think it's correct.

I think they saw him coming, knew he was a newbie, and decided to milk the cow...

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Edited by - stmbtwle on Mar 24 2009 19:59:33

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

NY Weasel

RO# 11933

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  20:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, read too fast, thought the boat was in Freeport.

2004 Albin 28TE

Edited by - NY Weasel on Mar 24 2009 20:13:25

Homeport: Freeport, NY Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  20:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

<<...."I can't remember the last time someone charged me for "1/4" of an hour."..>>

A couple years ago, I had a shop in RI charge me 12 minutes (1/5 hour) to put back a brake bolt that fell out. ..Plus about 5 bucks for the bolt that was lost on the road somewhere. Of course, that was an auto shop; not a marina.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  20:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought an aluminum prop for my Alpha I a year ago from BoatFix for about $100. This was a Mercruiser prop, the Michigan Wheel and other brands are a little less. $25 more for a hub kit, so $125 or so tops for the prop. I can change mine in 10min, in or out of the water. I can't imagine any scenario where the costs estimated here are justified. The prop alone is overpriced by at least 300%.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  21:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have the explanation tomorrow and will post. He is going to challenge them to explain how it takes 4 hours to remove one large nut.
Al

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  21:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it.

The marina was out of props and needed to order one from boat-fix. The marina wanted to complete the job in one day, so they drove down to boat-fix, which took 1 3/4 hours. Purchased the prop which took 15 minutes. Drove back to the marina which took another 1 3/4 hours. They installed the prop in 15 minutes.

Total 4 hours plus the cost of the prop.

See, you guys just don't know how to add.

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

gardnersf

RO# 13607

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  22:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starry,

They are even being generous by not charging for the mileage :)

Scott Gardner
Smithfield, RI
1986 Trojan 10 meter Mid-Cabin Express "More Family Time"
Twin Crusader 454 Straight Inboards
1963 17' Boston Whaler - 90HP Evinrude

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  06:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
siezed or corroded to shaft is my guess, but...they should have outlined that in the estimate. It takes about 10 whole minutes to swap a Mercruiser prop...and that's if you're doing it in the water!

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

Homeport: Cedar Point Marina, Ohio Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  07:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marinas are hurting in this economy. Padding the bill seems rather commonplace it seems. The good part is you learn whom will never get your business again.

Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  08:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rommer...yes, things are bad. Although, for our marina, service is doing well. When things weren't looking so good, we still would never pad a bill. Over 55 years in business was not attained by "screwing" the customer.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  09:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
couple of years ago i questioned the bill from a reputable air con service company which has been in business. They were charging me 5 hours of labor at $90 when the guy actaully showed up on the boat at 9:30 and left at 12:30...

first excuse was that the clock starts when the guy gets to the shop and starts loading the van with the stuff he needed... figure 1/2 hr. I explained to the manager that it doens't take 1 1/2 hour to drive from the Miami River to the marina, more like 20 minutes...

turned out the tech stopped for breakfast on the way... so i was getting billed for $60 for the guy to have breakfast!

paid the adjusted bill and never used their services again.

oh, they've been in business for like 30 years! means nothing.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

bazza

RO# 19536

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  10:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to the BVI,Had a wood and rattan door made once. About 2 feet x 1 foot. 3 guys turned up at the marina, All with food in hand. Stopped along the dock several times to talk to friends. One climbed aboard to measure and confirm the size I had already told them. Took him 15 mins to do that? then they trundled back,I am paying for 3 guys from when they left the shop. turned up the next day with an ill fitting door with wonky rattan in it a different size to what they had measured and a bill for $1200 bucks. Yep they never get a recommendation from me. Another metal working shop made a stainless bracket for me once, I used to run a fabrication shop and if any of my guys took more than 3 hours to make and polish the bracket they would be looking for a new job. Maybe $50 bucks worth of materials in it. Went to the shop to pick it up and they wanted $2750. After a big fight they ended up with a nice shiny ornament. Another boat went there to have the rail clamp for a fish rod holder extended, Got a bill for $450. What are they thinking??? Fridge and engine guys here want between $120 and $180 per hour. Everyone works on island time. no one will ever give an estimate and you will get laughed at when you ask for a firm quote. Oh the price of living in paradise!!!!!!!
Bazza

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  10:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starry Night

Got it.

The marina was out of props and needed to order one from boat-fix. The marina wanted to complete the job in one day, so they drove down to boat-fix, which took 1 3/4 hours. Purchased the prop which took 15 minutes. Drove back to the marina which took another 1 3/4 hours. They installed the prop in 15 minutes.

bob, if they ordered it from Boatfix on-line and had it shipped, it would have taken way less than 4 hours to get it.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Grady Wahoo

RO# 16408

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  11:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell your novice friend it takes one guy to hold the prop nut/wrench and 20 guys to flip/unscrew the boat from it......

Mike
1971 35' Bertram Caribe
"Black Bart"

Homeport: .Salem, MA Go to Top of Page

Bill 2

RO# 1779

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  16:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelNJ

You should mention the name of the Marina so others can be warned. Should be a half hour labor total. My old marina was a rip off too but they only charged 1/2 labor to R/R a prop.

Let's not publish or post the name of the boatyard/marina until the facts are established, and then the outrageous statements made by possibly otherwise reasonable, lucid, and genteel boat owners can then be "justified". And even then, it is still the business of the boatyard/marina and the consumer, novice or otherwise.

Bill 2
Remembering 9.11.01

Homeport: Cape Cod Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  17:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

couple of years ago i questioned the bill from a reputable air con service company which has been in business. They were charging me 5 hours of labor at $90 when the guy actaully showed up on the boat at 9:30 and left at 12:30...

first excuse was that the clock starts when the guy gets to the shop and starts loading the van with the stuff he needed... figure 1/2 hr. I explained to the manager that it doens't take 1 1/2 hour to drive from the Miami River to the marina, more like 20 minutes...

turned out the tech stopped for breakfast on the way... so i was getting billed for $60 for the guy to have breakfast!

paid the adjusted bill and never used their services again.

oh, they've been in business for like 30 years! means nothing.

My dad is an a/c refrig. repairman and he starts his time when he gets on location. No travel time unless it is over 1 hour away. He also doesn't charge overtime unless you get him out of bed and it cannot wait till the next day.
Shop time is on his time, as well as meals. The per hour charge is to pay his salary, insurances, fuel, truck breakdowns/parts and tools.
My wife has a tennis partner who plays in a cancer tournament with her every year who charges an outrageous per hour charge and from the time the trucks leave the shop until they get back. He is in Memphis and says that is the norm for that city.

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  18:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stmbtwle

I can't remember the last time someone charged me for "1/4" of an hour...

When I had my Camano hauled and surveyed, the zincs needed to be changed. I had to pay the yard for the zincs but since one needed a hole drilled in it, they did that. They charged me for 1/4 hour labor in addition to the zincs.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Edited by - rawidman on Mar 25 2009 18:15:01

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  18:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A friend who is a boating novice approached me with a estimate from his marina on replacing a prop on his 5.0L Mercruiser with a alpha drive for 271 bucks for an aluminum prop which is a little high and than 4 hrs labor at 95 bucks an hour. Over 700 dollars to replace an aluminum prop. I told him to go to the local police and file a report for Robbery.

You didn't really tell him that, did you?

It's not robbery. Look up the definition of "robbery".

It seems very high, but as others have pointed out, we don't know the whole story. Your friend has the choice of declining and having the work done somewhere else. A "robbery" victim does not.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Pigmeister

RO# 5555

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  18:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Their answer is "that's the way we've always done it."

Homeport: Gateway to the West. Go to Top of Page

RamSport47

RO# 28240

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  18:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

When I had my Camano hauled and surveyed, the zincs needed to be changed. I had to pay the yard for the zincs but since one needed a hole drilled in it, they did that. They charged me for 1/4 hour labor in addition to the zincs.

We charge at 1/4 hour intervals...if it only takes 10 minutes, why charge 30?

Oh Pascal...they may be that way down in Florida, but we aren't so please don't lump everyone together. Some reputable businesses actually are reputable.

Kenny
1998 Carver 310 Santego
T-Merc 350 Mag V-drives

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  19:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RamSport47

quote:
Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

We charge at 1/4 hour intervals...if it only takes 10 minutes, why charge 30?

Years ago I developed and implemented a database tracking system for a public school maintenance division. The system divided hours into tenths (six minutes). The maintenance mechanics didn't like it, they were used to putting most anything on the work orders, but tenths of hours work really well for computing time spent. 1/2 hr, 20 minutes, etc. does not. I had to give some of them tables showing 6 min = .1 hr, 12 min = .2 hr, 18 min = .3 hr, etc. Then I had to explain that if a job took somewhere in between they should round up or down as appropriate.

So how could a job take .1 hr? Look at the work order, call the school, and tell them to turn the switch on!

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

oneillch

RO# 30796

Posted - Mar 25 2009 :  21:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our FORMER marina on Pilot Road in Brick, NJ tried the same thing with us. Quoted us $600 for new aluminum prop, pull boat, install new prop and put boat back in. After hearing that, my husband jumped in, took off the prop himself, brought it to prop place to be fixed and put it back on. In addition, he lucked-out at prop place and they had another prop (same size) that was abandoned by a customer. Total cost for repair and second prop was $250.

Homeport: edison, nj Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  20:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had our boat hauled, blocked pressure washed and bottom painted, plus the props refurbed
for about $650, last year.
Changing out an aluminum prop for $700 is way too much.

mrknowitall

RO# 4979

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  22:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen props freeze on the shaft... very common with mercury products. Most manufactures recommend the shaft and prop splines be greased each season, this a common problem in saltwater applications. This problem can be a challenging one for a technician as you need to burn the hub out of the prop with a torch while not over heating the prop shaft or you burn out the prop shaft seals. Sometimes you use a prop puller, inboard style to assist separating the prop from the hub. Once the prop is removed then the rubber hub is cut off with a knife, KY jelly will make the cutting easier. This leaves the alloy spline portion on the shaft which can be split with a cutting wheel and chisel, again very little heat can be used or you burn up the seals and that leads to pulling the carrier bearing assemble and replacing the seals. If this is the problem then four hour seems a little high but not by much because rushing the process will only make more work. IMO

Homeport: Sequim Bay, WA Go to Top of Page

psugar

RO# 8116

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  22:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately.....I think its two ways in this economy....the first is people really want your business.....the second is they have no work so really try to milk your business.

Homeport: Chesapeake City, MD Go to Top of Page

Starry Night

RO# 18025

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  23:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

quote:
Originally posted by Starry Night

Got it.

bob, if they ordered it from Boatfix on-line and had it shipped, it would have taken way less than 4 hours to get it.

Hogan,
OK you missed the joke.

Bob

Starry Night
2001 44' Trojan 440 Express Yacht
1985 21' Chris Craft Scorpion
2011 SeaDoo RXT 260 Jet Ski
1988 34' Carver Montego (Sold)

"Anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron

Edited by - Starry Night on Mar 26 2009 23:06:54

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina and Yacht Club, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  09:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no I didn't!!!

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  12:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That ain't how you spell di'ant.

Edited by - rduhon on Mar 27 2009 12:25:31

ALKA2710

RO# 25407

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  17:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the response to the estimate.
Attached are photos of your outdrive unit.
As you can see the leading edge of the lower fin or "skeg" as it is
called has some slight contact damage which is on the leading edge which
is very common. Most people don't realize it even happens as it only
takes a slight bit of debris floating just under the surface to cause
it. B the unit is aluminum, we can either dress it up a bit with a file
and or clean it off and TIG weld it and make the profile perfect. It'd
not critically important either way, it's optional.

What concerns me more it is the propeller.
As you can see it is suffering from galvanic corrosion not only on the
tips, but across the center part of the blades as well. Several things
can happen, the blade can fail out on the water and you'll end up
getting towed in or the balance will go away more than it is now and
the prop shaft itself will become distorted or bent if it fails at a
high RPM. It can cause the oil seal that seals the oil in the drive to
fail and you will lose all of the oil in the drive while underway. Even
if you don't do anything with the fin, the prop should be replaced and I
would keep the old one as an emergency spare.

50% DEPOSIT ...
BOAT NAME:
MUIREANN
LOA
MANUFACTURER
Maxum
REGISTRATION
NY 1003 UR
COLOR
White
MOTOR & TYPE
Merc I/O 8 cyl.
If you would like this work performed please sign
and return this form to us as soon as possible. Estimate Total:
DESCRIPTION QTY RATE Estimate Total:
While we were servicing your boat, we noticed the following areas that
need attention:
Mechanical Labor: Propeller is damaged and needs to replacement.
Outdrive Fin is damaged and suggest a weld on replacement.
4 95.00 380.00
Boat Parts: 275.00 275.00
SALES TAX 7.375% 48.31

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  23:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here is the response to the estimate.
Attached are photos of your outdrive unit.
As you can see the leading edge of the lower fin or "skeg" as it is
called has some slight contact damage which is on the leading edge which
is very common. Most people don't realize it even happens as it only
takes a slight bit of debris floating just under the surface to cause
it. B the unit is aluminum, we can either dress it up a bit with a file
and or clean it off and TIG weld it and make the profile perfect. It'd
not critically important either way, it's optional.

What concerns me more it is the propeller.
As you can see it is suffering from galvanic corrosion not only on the
tips, but across the center part of the blades as well. Several things
can happen, the blade can fail out on the water and you'll end up
getting towed in or the balance will go away more than it is now and
the prop shaft itself will become distorted or bent if it fails at a
high RPM. It can cause the oil seal that seals the oil in the drive to
fail and you will lose all of the oil in the drive while underway. Even
if you don't do anything with the fin, the prop should be replaced and I
would keep the old one as an emergency spare.

50% DEPOSIT ...
BOAT NAME:
MUIREANN
LOA
MANUFACTURER
Maxum
REGISTRATION
NY 1003 UR
COLOR
White
MOTOR & TYPE
Merc I/O 8 cyl.
If you would like this work performed please sign
and return this form to us as soon as possible. Estimate Total:
DESCRIPTION QTY RATE Estimate Total:
While we were servicing your boat, we noticed the following areas that
need attention:
Mechanical Labor: Propeller is damaged and needs to replacement.
Outdrive Fin is damaged and suggest a weld on replacement.
4 95.00 380.00
Boat Parts: 275.00 275.00
SALES TAX 7.375% 48.31

Thanks for nothing. I had to go up a flight of stairs, comb through my wallet, get out my red Pelosi card and come all the way down stairs to throw it. As if my week was not bad enough. .

Let's see if I understand this. Galvanic corrosion on the prop but not on the drive proper. Sorry....uh....NO. I'm not buying this one. The prop is not islolated from the remainder of the drive. Cavitation bubbles burning the prop...Yes. That is plausible.g IF (and that is a big IF it was galvanic, tell him to call Piranha and get a composite prop cheaper.

TIG weld a skeg ding. That's laughable! I have only seen three sets of drives that did not have some sort of skeg ding. The first was on one of Reggie Fountains boat's he ran on the James River Poker Run. The second was on a new go fast a friend just bought. The third was on a set of rebuilt drives on a boat of another friend when he hit a submerged log and totaled both B-2's. A file, a block of wood, a BFH and some paint is all I ever needed to fix a skeg. I have only seen one welded when it was more than 50% missing.

He is lining up on a hook and getting ready to swallow it if he considers doing business with these folks.

My 2 cents.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: solar panel to trickle charge batteries? Topic Next Topic: Looking for a Boat Hauler in Upstate NY	 
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.8 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com