BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Sea Ray Owners
 1989 340EC Water Leak
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1992 SD 330 windshield center opening glass Topic Next Topic: Interior Carpet Replacement  

tmal2

RO# 12663

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  00:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a problem that is driving me crazy. I've got a 1989 340EC that's got a water leak somewhere above the galley that gives me water stains when it rains. My first thought was that the water was coming from the hole where the electrical wire goes to the horn which is right above the galley. I've removed the horn, cleaned everything up and resealed it but I still have the problem so it wasn't that. knowing that wherever the water is coming from it must be higher than that spot I've gone as far as removing the windshield mounting screws and resealing them. That did not fix the problem.

Anyone have any advice? I don't know where else to look. I know this was a common problem on many of these boats but have not found anyone that has found a fix for this.

Please Help!!

Thanks

Homeport: Warwick, Rhode Island

SCORPIO

RO# 4810

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  06:35:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any cracks in the deck gelcoat above the galley? They could provide a way for water to migrate into the deck. That could also cause rot in the deck core (balsa?). What about the bow rail stantions and the hand rail down the center of the boat? I have an '89 300DA but I think the basic deck layout is similar. Do you have the little hatches above the galley and dining area? Perhaps they could need rebedding.

Chris USPS AP

Homeport: Lewes, Delaware Go to Top of Page

Capt. Art

RO# 25924

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it may be coming from the railings. My friend had that boat years ago & I recall him having to rebed the railings since water was showing in the headliner. He had said it was a fault in most of those boats? You could try & silicone the top of all the railing mounts & see if this helps stop it. If it does stop it then you know you'll need to rebed all of them? If not, then just peel it off. On my 94 330 DA My hatches & Potholes needed to be resealed.

Homeport: Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

tmal2

RO# 12663

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  09:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys but I don't think it's the bow rail stantions because they are below the area I'm getting the leak. I guess it's possible it could be the hand rail down the center but I doubt that's it because they are at least 5 feet away and I have no staining between where the rail is and where the stain is and there is nothing in that area under the headliner that would carry the water over there.

I do not have the smaller hatches above the galley. I've got the medium sized hatch in the middle but don't think that's the problem for the same reason I mentioned above.

Homeport: Warwick, Rhode Island Go to Top of Page

SCORPIO

RO# 4810

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  19:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Capt. Art, do you know how the stainless steel center hand rails are attached to the deck/cabin roof? I assume they are screwed in from below and the screws are above the headliner. If thats the case, how would you get to the screws to rebed the rails without destroying the headliner? Just curious since someday I may need to rebed mine.

Chris USPS AP

Homeport: Lewes, Delaware Go to Top of Page

BoatPIB

RO# 5423

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same boat and had the same problem. Try rebedding the windshield screws. I found that it was leaking at the wndshield, going forward and coming through the hole where the horn wires were run and staining the headliner. Good Luck!

Homeport: Catawba Island, Ohio Go to Top of Page

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  17:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know about Sea Rays, but I had the same problem with my Carver, and the caulking on the bottom side of the rub-rail needed to be replaced...Took out the old and re-caulked and the problem was solved...

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Captain Cranky

RO# 17497

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  12:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just dealt with the same problem. It is the wiring in the starboard aluminum window channeling. From the helm Remove the rubber filler strip, and silicone it.I had two orange wire going thru the bottom. Windshield wipers wires I think. I had the whole galley boards rot in the corner and just finished replacing the boards. It took that long to find the leak. I tried as you are with the obvious. I found it from the bottom up by removing the wood and then finding the leak.i THEN FORCED silicone into the bottom of the hole and found where it came out on the top. Hopefully this will save you the path I had to take. Good luck.

Capt. Cranky

Homeport: Massapequa, NY Go to Top of Page

Captain Cranky

RO# 17497

Posted - Apr 26 2009 :  12:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to show sea ray did not fix the area
I have a 340 ec 1986.

Captn. Cranky

Homeport: Massapequa, NY Go to Top of Page

DEUTSCHFARMS

RO# 29188

Posted - Apr 21 2013 :  19:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 340 Sundancer 1987 that has the same problem, could you please explain in detail if it is the wiper shaft on the starboard side or where exactly it is. The cabinet in the galley in the corner is always wet after a rain.

Homeport: Portage, IN Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1992 SD 330 windshield center opening glass Topic Next Topic: Interior Carpet Replacement  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com