BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 143 ]  [ Total: 146 ]  [ Newest Member: SmokinCigarettes ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Diving Discussions
 Body of Paul Blanchette recovered in Gloucester, M
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dive suggestions in Bonaire Topic Next Topic: oilless air compressor  

lobsta1

RO# 1808

Posted - May 20 2009 :  22:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only met Paul a few times. He was a best friend of my dock master(& friend of mine). Monday,my friend took Paul & two others out to the wreck of the Chester A Poling. The three were to dive for an hour on the Poling at 90'. The two came up short of the hour. Paul never surfaced. They went back down, but were unable to locate him. Came up & notified the CG. Beverly Ma, CG & state police dive teams quickly assembled & started a grid search. They thought they would be able to locate him & bring him up. Paul was using a rebreather & also had two pony bottles. Estimated air supply was 4 > 6 hours. CG called off search this morning (Wednesday) at 0945. State team kept searching. They located his body about 1130.

Needless to say, my friend is really shaken up from this. He has done a number of dives with Paul to 200'. Paul is well known as a technical diver. He has done the Andrea Doria more than once & was also on the team that went down to the wreck of the Portland located in 400' of water.

My condolences to his family & girl friend.

I am upset at the lack of New England media coverage of this whole event including two day underwater search. Instead we were inundated with coverage of a shooting at Harvard & the arrest of a couple who tossed their Chihuahua out a car window.

Al
1978 Bertram 33

Homeport: Beverly,Ma

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - May 20 2009 :  23:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was very well known in diving circles throughout the area and will be sorely missed. First mention I heard was from Boston's Channel 5 earlier tonight.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19518786/detail.html

Condolences and prayers for his family. I know what you mean regarding the news coverage Al. Very poor...

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - May 20 2009 :  23:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never knew him, but it's sad to see a fellow diver pass away like that.

My heart goes out to the family and freinds.

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - May 21 2009 :  02:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always tragic to see needless deaths. I've got nothing else to say.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Dive suggestions in Bonaire Topic Next Topic: oilless air compressor  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com