boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 138 ]  [ Total: 140 ]  [ Newest Member: Barnett ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Bomar hatch is leaking
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Active week for the USCG in the GOM Topic Next Topic: Excellent first weekend with the boat!  

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  07:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a previous post I had thought the stanchions for my bow rails were leaking into the cabin since I had water stains on the cabin headliner. On the boat yesterday during a rainstorm, I discovered that the Bomar foredeck hatch is leaking. This is a large flush mount style Bomar hatch that is above the vee-berth and is big enough to use as an escape hatch. The clear plastic-glass appears to be loose around the hatch seal so that just enough water is coming in and then the water must be running over to the bow rail stations. Can these type of hatches be repaired? If so, is it a DYI job or a "pro" job? There does not appear to be any mounting devices that secure the plastic-glass into the hatch, it seems to be sealed onto the hatch somehow.
Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  11:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean it is leaking through the clear lid of the hatch or around the seal that the lid closes down on?

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  12:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like the leak you describe is not coming from the hinged frame and the fixed frame attached to the deck but from between the Lexan and the hinged frame, correct?

last year i had the lexan replaced on a hatch (it had been cracked) by a reputable yard... it was one of those, since we're in the yard, let's have the pros do it. Well, it started leaking a few weeks later.

I pulled the lexan, cleaned eveything and resealed with 4200... didn't last long either. I just redid the job using 5200, which i think will do the trick.

from what i see, you need a sealant with good mechanical bonding since it needs to bond the lexan to the frame. Dont'know if your hatch is similar but in my case the lock handles are attached to the lexan, not the frame so whenever you open and close the hatch you are actually lifting the frame by pushing on the lexan. Eventually, the bond will fail.

hopefully, 5200 will do the trick. Not sure if the yard had used 5200 or 4200, but considering how easy it all came off, i suspect 4200.

it' pretty easy, although it can be a messy job. give it shot before paying 4 hours of labor at $100 an hour...

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  12:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hatch is leaking between the Lexan and the hinged frame.

Pascal, my hatch has the same handles you mentioned, the 2 handles are attached to the Lexan and when I open the hatch, I am pushing up on the Lexan.

There does not appear to be any sealant between the Lexan and the frame but this is an OEM hatch so I assume the mfg. has really good application equipment. How difficult is it to remove the lexan from the frame? Do you just pry it off and hope it does not break?

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  18:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well in my case it was just a matter of cutting the seal from the outside, between the frame and the edge of the lexan, all around. once that bond was broken, the lexan pops up easily by pushing from the inside. you may also have to cut between the inside of the lexan and the frame but since you dont' see any sealant there, you probably dont' have too.
how much space is there between the edge of the lexan and the frame? I had about 1/4", filled with sealant.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  18:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"it' pretty easy, although it can be a messy job. give it shot before paying 4 hours of labor at $100 an hour..."

Ditto, just make sure bothe surfaces are spotless, if you need to clean up the surfaces I think acetone would work. Pascal will acetone be ok here, I am thinking it would ?

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  18:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i used acetone which doens't leave any residue. I think there is a warning on 5200 against using things like mineral spirit for instance...

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

270mike

RO# 22261

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  20:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem, I removed the hatch ,pulled out the lexan cleaned frame good and took it to a glass shop ,had it resealed with black urathane,cost $5.00 ,rebedded it with 5200 .easy fix

mike s.- 1985 270 sundancer-Guntersville,Al

Homeport: Guntersville,AL Go to Top of Page

JohnH

RO# 1474

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  20:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, just to make sure it is not coming in from between the deck and the frame, go around the hatch frame and tighten all screws...probably about 12 of them or so. This simple fix stopped a small leak I had through the forward hatch. I was amazed at how loose some of the screws actually were.

John H

2005 Chaparral 290 "Brown Eyed Girl"

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Hudson River, NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  21:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you spray the hatch with a hose, you'll see where the water comes from. I could see the drops coming in between the lexan and the frame.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  23:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The key to getting a good sealant bond on Lexan is to roughen up the smooth portion of Lexan that will be in contact with the sealant by sanding it. Otherwise when the Lexan expands and contracts as it heats and cools it will pull away from the sealant.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  09:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

if you spray the hatch with a hose, you'll see where the water comes from. I could see the drops coming in between the lexan and the frame.

Pascal, that is the same thing that I am seeing. I have about 1/8" space between the Lexan and the frame.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  09:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 270mike

I had the same problem, I removed the hatch ,pulled out the lexan cleaned frame good and took it to a glass shop ,had it resealed with black urathane,cost $5.00 ,rebedded it with 5200 .easy fix

Mike, where did you use the black urethane? Was the 5200 used to reseal the Lexan in to the frame?

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  10:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill made a good point about sanding the lexan although the edge of the lexan is usually rough from the cut and that's where the seal is critical.

What i did is lay a bead in the bottom corner of the frame so that when i put the lexan in it woudl spread the sealant under the lexan. then with the lexan in and centered, i filled that gap between the frame and the edge of the lexan with 5200.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Grand Larsony

RO# 18485

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  13:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
STOP ! I have this same hatch and found the problem only AFTER I completely disassembled and rebuilt the entire thing. Yes, I did rebed the lexan but you CANNOT use anything but that black stuff in a tube. Hang on... I used Spectrum 2 "One Part, Medium Modulus, High Performance Silicone Sealant" by Tremco (got it at a specialty roofing store). You can also use a product recommended by the manufacturer. Don't use anything else or it will not work. My rubber seal (between the metal hatch and the flange on the boat) was all goofy, too, so I fixed that.

Here's the kicker... Did all that and it still leaked. Know what it was? Those STUPID latch handles. They have a rubber o-ring that is supposed to seal the outer end of the shaft (where it sits on the outer side of the lexan). Mine were leaking. Simple fix of new o-rings wiht proper lube. Done.

Hope that helps.

---------------------
1989 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer
Irondequoit Bay, Rochester, NY

Homeport: Irondequoit, NY Go to Top of Page

Grand Larsony

RO# 18485

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  13:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and when you bed the lexan make sure to mask it off. Very easy and no mess.

---------------------
1989 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer
Irondequoit Bay, Rochester, NY

Homeport: Irondequoit, NY Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  19:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please help me here....how do I remove the Lexan from the frame? Do I just pry it out?

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if the handles are a little loose, you will see the water dripping from the handles... i dont' see how anyone can confuse these leaks.

Neal, as i said before, I used a blade to cut the sealant along the lexan and along the frame, all around. by running the blade at a angle, you can pull some of the old sealant from the groove. once the sealant is cut from the outside, the lexan pops up easily from under. just push it up.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  21:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this place, I learn something everytime I visit

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  21:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought our bomar hatch was "leaking" too.. turns out we slept in late on a muggy night and the condensation from breathing accumulated on the hatch (and everywhere else) .. it eventually started to drip from the hatch but right in the middle.. I traced the water and saw droplets all over the hatch glass and everywhere else in the V-berth.. We will now sleep w/ at least ONE port hole window open

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

ericsilv

RO# 10428

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  07:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 270mike

i would use a bedding compound like life caulk not 5200 if you ever want to replace hatch at later time

Homeport: brooklyn Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the problem with anything that will not bond is that whenever you are pushing on the handles to open the hatch, you are slowly working the lexan loose. Eventually enough of gap will be created for leaks.

if you're going replace the entire hatch, then yes, dont' use 5200 between the outer frame and the fiberglass.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Previous Topic: Active week for the USCG in the GOM Topic Next Topic: Excellent first weekend with the boat!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.92 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com