BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Inside Passage 2009
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Finally back! Topic Next Topic: For what its worth
Page: of 2

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  10:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last post from home.

We are underway today, Sunday, June 14, 2009 and already 2 days behind schedule.

The “schedule” is an adjustable guide based on progress up and down the main route on the IP at a mind boggling 12 nm per day. (That’s 4 hours per day at 3 knots! I can’t go as slow as 3 knots – I have to keep taking the boat out of gear!) So, there is a hefty allowance for bad weather and to allow some great side trips from the main route, when we are able to “bank” some time by getting ahead of schedule on the good weather traveling days. 35 days to Rupert, 22 days for the feature side trip to Observatory Inlet, and up to 37 days home.

A rough outline for us would be:

June 14 - getaway June 18 - Blind Channel June 25 - Port Hardy
July 3 - New Bella Bella July 11 - Hartley Bay July 17 - Port Edward
July 18 - Aug. 9 set aside for sidetrip up Portland Inlet and Observatory Inlet
Aug.16 - Hartley Bay via Principe Channel
Aug. 24 - New Bella Bella/Shearwater via Laredo Channel, Meyers Passage
Sept. 1 - Port Hardy via Hunter Channel, Hakai, Fish Egg Inlet, Seymour Inlet
Sept. 8 - Blind Channel Sept.15 - home

We will be on VHF channel 16, when we are traveling, and at 9 am and 5 pm when we are on the hook or at the dock. If you are in the vicinity, give us a shout!

We wish you all a great boating summer.

Old_Salt

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  21:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be sure to post us some of your great photos.....

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  12:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have fun OS, I always enjoy reading your trip reports and the pixs are a big plus.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  16:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navman

"Have fun OS, I always enjoy reading your trip reports and the pixs are a big plus."

You may have visited here, Brad. Our first night's stop at Gorge Harbour on the southwest side of Cortes Island.

I took a photo of the "northernmost arbutus" again this year, at the South end of Wellbore Channel, because I heard a report of one north of Cape Caution, and if I can find it we will have to silence the one spreading evil lies about the limits of arbutus trees. We may even have just cause for WWIII. You can tell this is really important to me ... or I have too much time on my hands.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Dec 02 2009 23:20:17

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  19:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rduhon:

"Be sure to post us some of your great photos....."

.... and if I don't, am I gonna get the rduhon "I will show you my NBR finger when passing by. It will
be pointing towards the sky." ?????

I don't know that I can keep up to the standard you set for me.

Second day out, passing Cape Mudge light, near the south tip of Quadra Island, where the flood from the south end of Vancouver Island meets the flood from the north end. Any strong wind, SE or NW, causes the rip to make you wish you were somewhere else.

No wind this day, but when we went to idle and neutral to take a photo, the rip put us on "spin cycle".

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  21:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS, nope never been there before. we are taking off for a week trip beginning this Friday for the San Juans, then a couple weeks later we do our usual 2 week stint in the Canadian Gulf islands. Nothing further north then Nanaimo again this year. We really need to get over to the sunshine coast again.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  19:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Departed Campbell River June 18 to catch the TTE at Seymour Narrows. Poked around in Hemming Bay in Nodales Channel before heading to my wife's favorite anchorage at Anchorage Lagoon in Thurston Bay Marine Park. I am not permitted to post photographs here. My wife says you wouldn't like it.

The morning of June 19 we waited for the Lagoon to fill a little bit to make it easier to get out and headed north in Nodales and west in Cordero to Mayne Passage and Blind Channel Resort.

Fuel and water at Blind Channel. Had lunch at the BC floats while waitng for slack water at Greene Point Rapids, and ran to Forward Harbour for the o/n, in order to get a good run through Johnstone Strait early the following morning. We usually take Greene Point Rapids early, so that we can hit Whirlpool Rapids in Wellbore Channel nearer to slack.

Forward Harbour is a large anchorage, about 1/2 nm by 2 nm with anchoring depths from 30' to 80'. Lots of room. Typically in a NW blow, most boats will be huddled together at the west end, anchored in gravel at 6' to 30'. If you anchor 1/4 to 1/2 nm off the west shore, with a swing circle to suit your anchoring depth, and well clear of other boats, you can pour yourself a drink, take it to the command bridge, and watch the boats on the beach come unglued and start hiking out to where you are. Those on your boat can engage in all kinds of great betting games, like "Who will come unglued first?", "Who will anchor closest to us", and my favorite, "Who will be the first to drop their anchor on top of ours?". Second and third boats don't get prizes.

Looking east in Forward Harbour at sunset.

Little bit more of a close-up.

As close-up as I can get. Mt. Gardiner is about 20 miles away.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  23:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photos. Great looking trip.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  00:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been at Port McNeill June 22-26 for 4 overnights at the dock, a rarity for us, and had use of the excellent WIFI connection here, so I have been able to post from here. The weather has been crappy. Wind and rain. Today the rain let up in the afternoon so we got out into the real world, got groceries, booze, made phone calls, paid the HM, watched the Commodores parking their 70-footers in the wind, etc.

The forecast for tomorrow is "good-to-go", but we are going to head back east to meet a Commander 30 with friends headed this way. A Commander 26 is heading out this way early July and would like to be "shown the ropes" a little bit. We will likely spend the summer south of Cape Caution this year. That will give me a chance to get back to places like Seymour Inlet, Drury Inlet, Grappler Sound, the Broughton's (where the heck IS that, anyhow?) where I haven't been for a couple of years.

Thanks to navman and rduhon for keeping me company. I'll try to get some pics of the special places. I am stuck with the CHS chart system in Canadian waters, so I can't post links to the charts as with the NOAA system, and at my young age, I would really hate to go to jail for the rest of my life for copyright violations.

Old_Salt

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  09:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forward Harbour (CHS chart 3544) is what I refer to as a "Major Transit Anchorage" for those headed North or South on the Inside Passage. It offers a huge anchoring area, accessed by one relatively narrow passage, and hence protected from a wave buildup from strong winds. It has a good holding bottom (once you decide to get off the gravel pit on the west beach) with reasonable anchoring depths. There is always room for one more boat. It is strategically located at the east end of the 15 nm or so of Johnstone Strait which every boat, northbound or southbound must travel.

A northbound boat can wait for Johnstone Strait to be nice before committing to the run down Sunderland Channel to Fanny Island (CHS charts 3544, 3545) and then on to the Broken Islands and Havannah Channel, (CHS charts 3545, 3564) where one can finally get out of Johnstone Strait to quieter waters. A southbound (eastbound at this point) boat can run from the Broken Islands to Fanny Island, and then leave Johnstone Strait for an overnight stop or just a short pause to get the timing right for passage through Whirlpool Rapids and Greene Point Rapids on the way east in Cordero Channel.

We left Forward Harbour northbound (westbound at this point) for the Broken Islands on the morning of June 20 at 6 am, having heard the forecast, for Johnstone Strait, of "Strong Wind Warning, NW 5-15 kt, becoming 15-25 in the afternoon, NW 30 in the evening, and NW 20 o/n." The forecast is fairly typical for the summer months, when the higher inland temperatures cause the rising warm air inland to be replaced by cooler air from the west end of Queen Charlotte Strait and QChSound. "Go early, really early!". In the summer months the freshwater runoff from the inlets feeding Johnstone Strait is sufficient to maintain an almost constant surface ebb of fresh water and the river fed debris tends to pile up even when the Strait is flooding and the tide is rising.

On the way west in Johnstone Strait one passes the entrance to Port Neville (CHS charts 3545, 3564). On the ebb, this area usually exhibits some turbulence, and usually is filled with debris. Port Neville has a public float, no mooring charges, and a lovely anchorage near the very head of the inlet in shallow water. The approach to Port Neville is marked by this striking home on Milly Island at the entrance.

The public float at Port Neville is visible from the entrance.

OS

In real time we are now in Blind Channel and heading south.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  10:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"In real time we are now in Blind Channel and heading south" ... when the weather allows ...
and this little Gulp is NOT coming with us.

OS

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  12:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS - great to see you on the move again! It's always a treat to join you as you meander the IP and beyond. Thanks for the ride - and keep those photos coming!
Cheers -
Riverbed

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page

shepdog

RO# 16889

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  16:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff, OS....you're making me very anxious for our trip!

Shep
Looking for my next Sabre...

Homeport: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  16:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riverbed:

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I enjoy having your company.

The WIFI opportunities become fewer as we go north, but I'll try to keep up.

Maybe I should spend less time in the pubs ....
NAH!

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jul 05 2009 17:00:49

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  16:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shepdog:

We have invested a lot of time and effort in YOU!

I hope you will use this forum to post as you go.

OS

shepdog

RO# 16889

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  13:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will spend your collective investment wisely....We'll certainly have the laptop with us for chronicling the trip as well as feedback/advice during it!

28 days until we leave the dock in Anacortes....but who's counting!

Shep
Looking for my next Sabre...

Homeport: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  16:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back from our 8 day outing in the San Juans and middle sound cruising grounds. After a couple days back at work I had to get back on the water and fortunately I knew which channel to turn to , IP2009. :-)

Edited by - navman on Jul 08 2009 16:31:42

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  13:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
View west down Johnstone Strait, including Broken Islands. (CHS chart 3545)

Approaching Broken Islands from the east. (CHS chart 3564)

Rounding Broken Islands into Havannah Channel.

We got busy talking to another vessel that we had met up with and didn't get any photos in Chatham Channel. I am sorry. The north end of Chatham Channel joins Knight Inlet (CHS Charts 3545, 3564). Cutter Cove is on the Mainland east side and Minstrel Island Settlement is on Minstrel Island on the west side.

Entrance to Cutter Cove from north end Chatham Channel. Good crabbing here. Good anchorage here but the winds reflect the goings on in Knight Inlet, and high NW winds will find their way into Cutter Cove. You do need good anchoring gear. Stalwyn goes with a LoFrans Marlin winch w 750 watt motor, controls at Lower and Upper helms and foredeck, 60' of chain and 300' of nylon. The 60' of chain always goes on the bottom, even at shallow depths. We have a 20 lb ball that goes out as a kellet to keep the 50'-60' end of chain on the bottom in a serious blow, and a big ol' Fortress, with the same rode, as a backup.

Minstrel Island settlement. It is reported that in it's heyday, Minstrel Island pub sold more beer on a Saturday night than any Vancouver City hotel pub.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  20:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures. As always. Looks like a fun relaxing trip.

Riverbed

RO# 19680

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  22:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS - nice shots again. What's your normal tidal range there and is there much difference between there and at Secret Cove?

Homeport: Saco/Old Orchard Beach, Maine Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Riverbed:

The "official" info is published annually by Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and for B.C. it is contained in 3 volumes (retail $6.50 Cdn. each) of the Canadian Tide and Current Tables, each relating to a major area of the B.C. Coast. Volume 5 (Green) covers Juan de Fuca Strait and Strait of Georgia; Volume 6 (Blue) covers Discovery Passage and West Coast of Vancouver Island; Volume 7 (purple) covers Queen Charlotte Sound to Dixon Entrance. 5 & 6 cover from the US border to the northern tip of Vancouver Island and Cape Caution. 7 covers the Central and North Coasts all the way to Alaska.

The tides are mostly semidiurnal (2 HW's and 2 LW's in a 24-25 hr period). On the WCVI this will range from 0.8' - 13.9' on large tides. On the inside it will range from 3.8' - 18.4 (Secret Cove included here.) Here at Port McNeill 0.1 - 19.3'.

On the north coast Prince Rupert will range from -0.3' to 26.2'.

HTH

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite anchorages is through The Blow Hole, just south of Minstrel Island, west past the north side of Dorman Island, back to the east on the south side of Dorman Island, and further east on the south side of Farquharson Island, and then south (CHS charts 3545, 3564). I will show you pics, but I won't tell you where it is. We call it Three Windows Inlet, and if we go there to anchor, and find you there, YOU have to leave. Anchored here June 20, about 11 am. with forecasted winds of 30 kt in Johnstone Strait.

The First Window. The all-tides entrance from Cracroft Inlet viewing NW.

The sandy south shore of Farquharson Island viewing N.

The Second Window. The high tide exit to Lagoon Cove viewing NE.

The Third Window. The it-doesn't-matter-where-the-tide-is-you-aren't-going-to-get-there-without-bangin'-the-bottom exit to Port Harvey viewing SE.

The charted rock to the west of the anchorage viewing E.

We made it through the night in depths ranging from 23' down to 15' with 100' out.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June 21 we took a relatively short run from Three Windows Inlet to Caution Cove in Beware Passage. (CHS chart 3545)

June 22.
Pearse Islands photos. (CHS chart 3546)
Alternator not charging. Two good reasons to go to Port McNeill: Fix the alternator problem and hook up to power.
The anchorage at the east end of the passage just north of the east entrance. The logs on the beach show this is not the best spot in a SE blow.

Heading west down the passage in the Pearse Islands.... slowly.

Stalwyn at Port McNeill ... first of 4 enforced days.

The Naiad Explorer, a first class whale watching boat, at the fuel dock at Port McNeill.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June 26. Kirei is due to leave the Gulf Islands and head north to Alaska. Ria Sea will be leaving home in Sechelt Inlet on July 4. Our alternator problems have been addressed. The weather will allow a trip back down Johnstone Strait from Port McNeill to Forward Harbour today, and hopefully a meeting with these two boatloads of friends..

Arriving at the entrance to Forward Harbour from the north. View is South to Whirlpool Rapids at slack current. (CHS chart 3544)

The entrance to Forward Harbour.

June 27. We moved down to Anchorage Lagoon. We have Photos but my wife won't let me post them.

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  14:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know now that we really want to see them even more.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June 29. We returned to Blind Channel for fuel, water and groceries. One of our favorite dock stops. (CHS chart 3543)

The store and restaurant at the waterfront.

The Richter family private dwellings.

Some of the float area, and Mayne Passage with shallow anchorage in Charles Bay on the east side. Mayne Passage does not usually receive mention when talking about the faster moving rapids in this general area, but at max. flood (northerly flow) it gets turbulent to the left of the photo area. On max. ebb we have seen a sailboat under power get stopped in it's tracks and retreat south. It must get discouraging to see the trees receding AHEAD of you.

The fuel dock, temporary moorage area, and gangway.

OS

From Echo Bay

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  16:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a beautiful place. Wish I could spend a couple of months there.

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  11:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a great place to visit OS, those deck chairs look like the place to sit and enjoy the view.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  12:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June 30 we left Blind Channel to take the 4 rapids run south to Waiatt Bay in Octopus Islands Marine Park in Okisollo Channel. We filled the water tank with good spring water from the floats, and set off, heading north in Mayne Passage and then east in Cordero Channel to approach Dent Rapids from the west on the last of the flood. Dent turns first. If we timed it right, we could take the flood through Dent, Gillard, Yuculta and then take Hole in the Wall west to clear the rapids at the west end after the turn to ebb, and get a boost through all four. Ma Nature, the boater's friend, helps us out again. Ma Nature, however, had encouraged the weather forecasters to predict NW winds 20-30 knots, becoming 30-40 knots in the afternoon, and NW 20-30 overnight, going to 30-40 Wed. afternoon, for Johnstone Strait, which included the area we were headed for.... Not my kind of boating weather, so we elected to head for good holding and protection from fetch at Waiatt Bay in the Octopus Islands MP. (CHS charts 3543, 3537 )

Approaching Dent Rapids from the west on the last of the flood. Current is with us.

Approaching Gillard Passage from the west on the last of the flood. Current is with us.

A pretty nice fishing and holiday resort just south of Gillard.

Harbott Point at the south end of the Yaculta Rapids on the last of the flood. Current is with us.

The east entrance to Hole in the Wall.

The rapids at the west end of Hole in the Wall at the first of the ebb. Current is with us.

The north entrance to the Octopus Islands and Waiatt Bay.

Boats at anchor in the east cove of Octopus Islands.

Boats at anchor in the west cove of Octopus Islands.

The west cove of Waiatt Bay which is our favorite overnight stop here.
A trail leads over the hill to Small Inlet, which is accessible from Discovery Passage.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  23:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rduhon:

Blind Channel is one of our favorite places to stop, usually for fuel, water, groceries, wangling a deal on skunky beer, Jennifer's fresh-baked cinnamon rolls, exchanging "what-I-read-and-really-enjoyed-this-winter" lists with Phil, taking a hike up the hill to visit the big cedars, and renewing acquaintances with all of the family. The Richter's are in their fourth generation of owner-operators of this resort. Nice folks.

See the website Blind Channel Resort. We have made the run from Secret Cove to Blind Channel in 1 day (92 nm in hr. through rapids).

Fly to Vancouver, B.C. We'll meet you at the airport. You can stay with us on the Sunshine Coast, until you recover from jet lag, or we run out of food and beer, whichever comes first, and then we'll take you to Blind Channel in our 30 footer, for your two month stay.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jul 26 2009 23:35:20

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  23:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navman:

"Looks like a great place to visit OS, those deck chairs look like the place to sit and enjoy the view."

You are right, Brad. It is especially good if we have just made a great deal on skunky beer with Phil, and we have 6 hours to sit in the deck chairs and wait for the current to change.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  23:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July 2. Entering von Donop Inlet. (CHS charts 3538,3541)

The vDI Lagoon entrance, just beyond the Narrows, at LW.

A 3 pic pan of the very shallow anchorage in Buccaneer Cove.

The cove behind our anchorage at LW. The NW wind will get over the treetops here but the fetch is minimal and the waves don't build up to anything serious. The holding is excellent. We consistently require the boat to break the anchor loose, and it always comes up with a ton of mud on it.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  22:14:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July4. We traveled from von Donop Inlet to Refuge Cove, to check out the store and make phone calls, and then Refuge Cove to Squirrel Cove, where we found Ria Sea waiting for us, and had a pleasant happy couple-of-hours with them and a neighbour from Secret Cove. (CHS chart 3538,3541)

July 5. Squirrel Cove to Blind Channel, for fuel and good spring water, waiting there for closer to slack conditions at Greene Point Rapids and Whirlpool Rapids. (CHS chart 3538, 3541,3543)
Blind Channel to Forward Harbour for the night. (CHS charts 3543,3544 )

July 6 in Forward Harbour.

I had posted previously (June 24) about the vast expanse of Forward Harbour, and being somewhat amused at the way boaters seem to find comfort in "huddling" together in the NW corner of Forward Harbour when it gets windy in Johnstone Strait. We dropped the hook 1/4 nm from the west shore in 77' of water, on about a 10' tide, when we came in at 4 pm yesterday with Ria Sea. We had just passed through the Whirlpool Rapids about a half hour before the HW TTE, and 3 24' boats traveling together blew by us, causing us some minor concern with their combined wake. They roared into the entrance at Forward Harbour and when we had set the hook, we noticed them, among the 15 boats already at anchor. They were nearest the shore, 2 of them rafted, the other stern tied to the west shore.

The overnight video was a spectacular electrical storm, with thunderous audio and wind.

The photos below were taken this morning of July 6, before the LW level of 2.3' had been reached. The 2 rafted boats were high and dry. The stern tied boat was trying to kedge himself off the west gravel pit.
I take no delight in the boating misfortunes of others, but the Devil compelled me to relate this to you, to add some credence to my previous caution about getting too near the west shoreline and anchoring in the gravel.

The 2 rafted boats up on the drying gravel.

L to R: Unnamed boat, and Ria Sea (the only ones in the photo a safe distance from shore), 2 sailboats, the 3 stranded boats, and 2 more sailboats.

The 3 stranded boats.

The 3 stranded boats with the tide coming up a bit.

Waiting for the handout of breadcrumbs.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Monday, July 6 forecast for Johnstone Strait gave us hope that we could make a run to the more protected waters in Havannah Channel today. (CHS charts 3544, 3545, 3564 )
The 4 am forecast for Johnstone Strait was NW 15-25 knots, becoming variable 5-15 in the morning and light in the late afternoon. However, the 4:35 am report from Fanny Island was NW 17 with the pressure dropping, so we made another coffee, and the 5:35 am was NW 18, gusting NW24. The 6:35 am was NW 16, gusting NW 21. Another coffee. 7:35 am was NW 16 with the pressure rising. We started getting things ready. 8:35 am Fanny Island: NW 11knots. We are outta' here.

At 9:46 am we roared past Fanny Island westbound at 20.7 knots, listening to the 9:35 am report: Fanny Island: NW 7knots. All good things come to those in boats who wait for the weather ... at just after 10:30 we were rounding the Broken Islands and entering Havannah Channel. We did a little sight-seeing, Port Harvey, Boughey Bay, Matilpi, and on approaching Chatham Channel issued a "Securite". A boat ahead of us was going too fast against the flood in Chatham Channel, and forced us to deal with a 4-5' wake rebounding off the shorelines. Our "Securite" was rewarded with a response from Kirei, who also took advantage of the break in Johnstone Strait to continue their northbound journey, still hoping to make it to Ketchikan this summer, and we met up in Cutter Cove for a chat before they continued to Sullivan Bay for the night..

We anchored the evening of July 6 in Three Windows Inlet, with Ria Sea. We were both still sitting in water when the July 7 morning tide hit 2.3' (on Alert Bay), so I will retract my earleir statement that YOU will have to leave when we arrive. There is room for two, so you c'n stay.

Tuesday, July 7 we led Ria Sea out of the anchorage and on a 6 knot tour of some great o/n stops at Potts Lagoon, Caution Cove, and Dead Point Cove before dropping the hook at Mound Island Anchorage. This spot, like forward Harbour, is a Major Transit Anchorage, with room for one more boat no matter the hour, and protection from serious fetch and wave problems except in gale force or better winds.

The native community of New Vancouver is just visible in the morning fog.

July 8 we poked into a few more anchorages in the Broughton Archipelago on our way north 14 nm to Waddington Bay where we went west of the central island and anchored in 12' of water for the night. Before long, we were joined by the 3 boats that grounded in Forward Harbour!!! They roared up and down the length and breadth of our tiny little 3 boat andchorage, each one either dropping the hook repeatedly in water shown on the chart to be dried out at zero water, or taking soundings of depths that didn't exist at low water. (We were expecting a LW level of 2.3' in the early morning). Slow learners???

July 9 we recognized the need to address our dwindling fuel and water tank reserves and headed for Port McNeill for the night. Posted some stuff above for you bozos on the 9th and 10th from Port McNeill.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July 10 we left Port McNeill, passed by the reporting lighthouse (7:30 am to 4:30 pm only) at Pulteney Point, crossed Queen Charlotte Strait to Wells Passage and anchored in Claydon Bay for the night.

July 11 we woke up to a bear on the beach.

After the photo session, continued north and east and took photos of Roaringhole Rapids, before continuing into MacKenzie Sound and into Nimmo Bay at HW.

Nimmo Bay sunset.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  22:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July 12 we traveled back to the entrance to Drury Inlet and went through Stuart Narrows, west in Drury Inlet, north in Actress Passage, and Acteon Sound and entered Bond Lagoon on the evening 1644 PST HW of 13.1' on Alert Bay. Least depth 10' in the entrance channel.

July 13 we explored all of Bond Lagoon by kayak and dinghy and checked out the entrance at LW.

HW of 13.1' at 1716 PST on Alert Bay allowed us to leave Bond Lagoon on the flood at 1716 with a least depth of 9.5'. I din't use da' pitchoors to any great advantage, did I? We visited the head of Acteon Sound and caught the narrow entrance to Tsibass Lagoon still flooding with vigor and then went back through Actress Passage to overnight in Sutherland Bay.

We exited Stuart Narrows at noon on July 14 and headed back to Port McNeill, stopping only when we saw Naiad Explorer following 4 Orcas. We stopped to watch them for a while and then went on to Port McNeill.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  02:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July16 - Ria Sun - morning sun on Ria Sea in Carter Passage West.

Looking back at the west entrance to Carter Passage West on departure.

The drying bar between Carter Passage West and East, from the East side

July 19. Time to start thinking about heading home. Ria Sea has a July 28 deadline. This morning's weather forecast for Johnstone Strait, (about a 50-65 nm run from here to Broken Islands, with lots to see in between) was a Gale Warning with NW 30-35 this aft. and tomorrow aft. and not much less overnight. Nah! Called Comox Coast Guard Radio, Channel 83A, and requested the extended forecast for Johnstone Strait. My pal, Jim, said Tues.: NW 20-30; Wed.: NW 20-30; Thurs. July 23 at NW 15-25. NAH!
So we are in the Broughtons for another 5 days. What a shame!

Entering Simoom Sound

Deep Sea Bluff

July 25. 2 pic pan of Sunrise in WAIATT Bay. The audio of a single loon greeting the day is, unfortunately, unavailable.

Home on July 26. 43 days. 2122 L Diesel. 941.7 nm. 116.9 engine hours.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jul 31 2009 08:55:30

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  15:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great photo story OS, some of them anchorages looked like a mirror, what wonderful scenery. We have now completed our 2 week stint in the gulf islands, ya know it's time to plan another trip route when the camera hardly comes out, such is the case with us.
It has been a great boating season how ever with fantastic weather. We have the next few weekends planned out here in our local waters and a boat that is full of fuel and ready to go :-)
Again thanks for the pixs, it will be great to make it there one day.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  20:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navman:

I'm always glad that you're along for the ride , Brad. I think you are one of the guys who may actually benefit from (some of) these posts when you get the time to come this way.

Keep in touch, and let me know when you're planning to head out for Secret Cove.

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  10:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do, we talked about this during our trip early in the month, it's been a few years now since we have been over that way. Getting bored with the gulf islands, need new horizons and more time off to explore them.
Last week we have began to explore more of the south sound in our area, I been missing out- we just anchored out at a state park called Penrose and it was beautiful. At dusk we went to visit this house where I was told thousands of Bats fly out of the roof each night. We went and they flew, I never knew until last weekend.
A different experience for us for sure , plus a fun time with buddys and drinking cold ones.
take care
Brad

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Aug 27 2009 :  20:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad:

You said, " ...need new horizons and more time off to explore them ..."

FYI

After the trip of ours posted above, which occupied 43 days and covered less than 1000 nm and went north as far as Port McNeill at the northern end of Vancouver Island, I set out solo to see some things and places that were new to me. Please note:

This solo trip occupied 23 days (3 week vacation) and covered less than 1000 nm and took me as far north as Klemtu on the Northern Coast of B.C. My planning is very conservative, but (as with the 43 day trip) I did not lose a single day of travel due to bad weather. You CANNOT count on doing this, but every once in awhile, God smiles on you and blesses you with the weather to travel and you accomplish something in half (or less) the time that you budgeted. Great, huh? I made Secret Cove to New Bella Bella/Shearwater in 8 days, and returned, Ocean Falls to Secret Cove, in 5 days.

With a 3 week (23 day) period at your disposal, you should not be concerned about trying a trip as far as Blind Channel (where I would buy the first beer at the waterfront tables) and only one day further, we could sit in Forward Harbour and watch 'em beach their boats in the gravel , ... think about it!

The wife and I are off to spend the next week in Desolation Sound, or if it is still too crowded, the surrounding area which is not as congested.

OS

P.S. I'll try to post some pics from the solo trip after the Admiral and I return from Desolation.

Edited by - Old_Salt on Aug 27 2009 21:21:07

OARLOX

RO# 6476

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  16:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see that Old Salt is out here cruising the PNW. Sorry that I haven't been contributing too much on the web sight. We have also been cruising for the past 100 plus days. Our cruise has taken us from Seward Alaska across the Gulf of Alaska into SE Ak an on down into Southern BC. SO far we've logged nearly 2200 miles and we're still a couple of hundred miles away from Puget Sound.We'll leave the lady Anne in Puget Sound for the winter then head back north next year. Looks like we are gonna attempt to sell the Lady Anne (Willard 40 Pilot House) and try to move up to a Krogen 42. If anyone would like more info on the "lady Anne" drop us a email "haysfamilyrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tyahoo.com"

Rob Hays
"Lady Anne"
Willard Pilot House 40
Girdwood, Alaska

Homeport: Alaska Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  17:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2009 Solo Trip to New Bella Bella

After a nice 6 week trip in and around the “Broughton’s” in Stalwyn with my wife, and our friends in Ria Sea, I lit out solo for a few weeks to do some exploring further north. The trip covered 23 days and I am providing some details here to let you know what you might accomplish in a 3 week vacation period, in a fast boat, IF ALMOST EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT.

For this post, I will include some of the weather information I received, and how it affected my plans and timing. That will give you an idea of how weather dependent one’s timing is in this area. If you can let me know whether, or not, it is of any use to you, I would appreciate your response. For those of you who intend to head North one summer, I have included some detail about the conditions involved in the rounding of Cape Caution. If, on your first trip around, you should hit perfect conditions, you will wonder what all the fuss is about. If you hit less than perfect conditions, you will KNOW what all the fuss is about.

Topped up the fuel and water, checked under the hood (CUTH), and got away from Secret Cove on Saturday August 1 at 11:30 am PST (Tide Book Time), 12:30 pm PDT (rest of the immediate universe time). Good weather forecast. Flooding Northwest from 0820 PST to 1628 PST. Heading Northwest for Campbell River.

Passing Sentry Shoal (Ocean Buoy Reporting Station in Northern Strait of Georgia) with Mittlenatch Island in the background,

I made the 60 nm to Campbell River’s Discovery Harbour Marina by 4 pm (all PDT times from here on, except as noted “PST”), and got permission to tie up in order to make a phone call to my wife at home, negotiate with the harbourmaster for a 4 hour stopover for a visit to my aunt tomorrow afternoon, and to phone my aunt in the River to arrange
the visit (and to see if she had been baking recently … she had!), and also to walk over to the fuel dock to determine whether the new management still provided the free oil change pumpout with purchase of the replacement engine oil (they do). I then went 5 nm further up Discovery Passage to Gowlland Harbour to try out a different anchorage there, south of Seascape Resort, arriving at 6 pm. CUTH. The NE corner of Gowlland Harbour is a good place to wait at anchor for Seymour Narrows to be nice. It is out of the IP traffic, and has lots of protected anchorages with good holding.

The flood tide from the south end of Vancouver Island, meets the flood from the north just south of Cape Mudge on Quadra Island. Chart 3538. A slower boat can get a nice boost by taking the flood north in Georgia Strait, and then picking up the ebb north entering Discovery Passage and heading through Seymour Narrows with the ebb helping you noticeably, all the way north to Chatham Point.

Chart 3539 shows all of Quadra Island with Discovery Passage on the west, with an inset for Seymour Narrows, and Sutil Channel, Hoskyn Channel, and Okisollo Channel to the east. Chart 3540 shows the Campbell River waterfront and good detail of Gowlland Harbour.

The pic below is from the anchorage just northwest of Fawn I.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  13:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pic view to the east of the Gowlland Harbour anchorage on a dropping 5’ tide on Sunday morning.

Upped the anchor and underway back south to Discovery Harbour Marina by 9 am Sunday. The NW wind is behind me and Seymour Narrows is flooding South until the turn to ebb at 1539 PST. Oil change completed, water tanks refilled, fuel topped up, and berthed for 4 hours at the marina by noon. Had a nice visit with my aunt and was forced to take a freshly baked 16” diameter Tea ring back down the hill with me! Tea ring, along with pizza, and of course beer, is definitely one of the basic food groups.

CUTH and called the Marina on Ch 66A to advise them of the empty slip I was vacating, and made it to Race Point at 1546 PST, just 7 minutes into the ebb. The NW wind was blowing against the ebb as forecasted, but with a huge chop resulting, and I had to go to the wipers to get the spray off the windshields. At 1734 PST I had enough, and pulled into Small Inlet, already occupied by 14 boats! Hook down by 7 pm. Beer time! A full day and 20 nm further down the road, and the barrier of the first rapids is gone.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 16 2009 :  11:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WX1, from Cape Lazo, is the weather channel for the Northern Georgia Strait. The forecast for Monday Aug.3, at 4 am was for NW gales in Johnstone Strait, becoming light Tuesday morning, so the decision making was not too difficult: go to Forward Harbour today- hunker down- go west in Johnstone Strait early tomorrow.

Photos at sunrise at Small Inlet. Can you spot the heron on the rock? He thinks he's the harbourmaster?

Breakfast was coffee and … Tea ring! Anchor up by 8 am. Passed a nice old Chris Craft Yacht Home in the passageway out of Small Inlet .

The 0735 am automated report from Fanny I. was NW 23 and 0740 am Lighthouse report had Chatham Point at NW 20. At Chatham Point I elected to take Nodales Channel and go to Blind Channel for fuel top-up and their great water. That done, I pulled out of Blind Channel at 1317 PST prepared to take Greene Point Rapids early, well ahead of the 1445 PST Turn to Ebb, so that I could arrive at Whirlpool Rapids closer to slack at the 1440 PST TTE there. Went by the Greene Point light 1 hour early at 1336 PST and Carterer Point, marking Whirlpool Rapids, at 1434 PST, just 11 minutes early. Fanny I. reported NW 26 and gusting at 3:35 pm, so I pulled into Forward Harbour and called it a day at 4:15 pm. Covered 36 nm in 7 hours running for the day, and the second rapids barrier is gone.

This companion at Forward Harbour is in a nice deep anchorage away from the gravel.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  13:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up at 5:31 am Tues. Aug. 4. Wind was calm. Sky overcast. No fog in Forward Harbour. The 0400 am weather forecast, on WX8, from Sonora I., had an 0539 am update for Johnstone Strait: Strong Wind Warning (SWW) NW15 – 25 knots becoming 10-15 late this morning. The south flowing flood won’t start until 1031 PST so the NW wind will be against the surface fresh water runoff in Johnstone Strait. Charts 3544, 3545.

Note that we have moved from the Green (Volume 5) tide book for the South Coast that is subject to the north flowing flood to the Blue (Volume 6) tide book for that part of the South Coast that is subject to the south flowing flood.

Fanny I. reported NW18 at 4:35 am with pressure increasing, and NW 14 at 5:35 with pressure increasing. At 6:35 am Fanny I was NW11, pressure increasing. Yes! At 7 am the anchor was up and we were underway, passing Fanny I., at NW8! Chart 3544.

Got to play with the dolphins in Johnstone Strait, and as we approached Broken Islands together, I did something I hadn’t done before. I have always entered Havannah Channel to the West of Broken Islands, and given the entire island group a wide berth. This time I expanded the Nobeltec screen and followed some dolphins east of the large island and through to Havannah Channel. Piece of cake! … or maybe Tea ring! Chart 3564 for detail.

If the charts and tracks are of interest to anybody, I’ll include some more in future posts when relevant, otherwise I’ll leave them out.

No photos of the dolphins … I was busy.

I took Havannah Channel north to The Blow Hole and then Clio Channel west to Potts Lagoon at 2 pm. (Chart 3545). Got the hook down as quickly as I could, and got the kayak down and was paddling madly up into the upper lagoon with the last of the flood at 2:30 pm. Had a nice hour paddling through the meadows and around the islands, with thousands of sandpipers for company, and got back out before the ebb turned the channel into the shoot-the-chute.

I don’t like the pink too much. I don’t think I’ll do pink again. Sorry.

42.5 nm in 7 hours today. Jumped the Barrier of Johnstone Strait, that all boats must travel, from Fanny I. to Broken Islands, and I get another shot at it coming south.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  13:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forecast on Wed. morning, Aug.5, from WX3 Port Hardy, or WX1 Alert Bay, for Queen Charlotte Strait was NW10-15 going to SE5-15 early in the morning, NW15-20 in the afternoon, and light Thursday morning going to NW15-20 Thurs. afternoon, with fog dissipating by noon both days. I chose to travel in the light wind and fog to Port McNeill today, and get a real early start from there on Thurs. morn and get to the north shore of Queen Charlotte Strait so I could get into a good hidey-hole anchorage if it was warranted.

Leaving Potts Lagoon at 8:20 am I headed west in Baronet Passage (Charts 3545, 3546) and didn’t hit the fog until 9:21 am at the west end of Baronet. I still had visibility of ½ nm and set the radar in the 3 nm to ¾ nm range giving me about 15 min. to 3 min. of lead time at boat speeds of 6 knots, to pick up the motion of any vessels on the screen. By 10:30 it had cleared up and by 11 am I was tied up in Port McNeill. 25 nm in 3 ½ hours.

I plan on leaving from Port McNeill for my run around Cape Caution, so basically I have completed the South Coast portion of the northbound run in 5 days.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  21:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Thurs. Aug.6 4 am forecast, on WX1, for Queen Charlotte Strait was Variable 5-15 becoming NW15-20 late afternoon, and light Fri. morning. Lighthouse reports at 4:40 am had Egg I. sky obscured, visibility 1 nm, calm and Pine I. visibility 0 in fog, calm and at 7:40 am they were unchanged with Pulteney Point giving it’s first report of the day visibility 12 nm, calm. The fuel was filled to spill and we were underway at 9:18 am with the objective of getting to the north side of the strait and being able to duck in at Blunden Harbour, Allison Harbour, Skull Cove, or Miles Inlet when the NW wind came up in the afternoon.

There is some risk involved in heading for the North shore of QCS from Port McNeill or Port Hardy. The forecast gives you one set of numbers for the whole of Queen Charlotte Strait. Typically the forecast represents the worst conditions you could expect to encounter in the entire area. All of the weather reporting stations for QCS are at the West entrance or are on the South shore. There is no reporting from any location on the North Shore. If a forecast for high winds is issued for Queen Charlotte Strait, and you are in Port Hardy or Port McNeill on the South side, and you cannot detect any wind conditions to be concerned about, and none are contained in the reports, 3 possibilities exist:
1) The bad stuff hasn’t happened yet, but it WILL happen.
2) The bad stuff is all on the North side, but since there are no reporting stations to tell you about it, you don’t know that.
3) The forecasters are wrong. I wouldn’t bet on this one.

IMO the Egg I. report is the most meaningful for those planning to go north (or south) around Cape Caution, it being close NW of Cape Caution.

Rounding Pulteney Point at 9:46 am. Sea rippled. Cannot see the North shore but islands in the west end of the Strait are visible. 3150 rpm and 20.5 knots, against the south flowing flood in QC Strait. About mid-point at 10:22 am I was able to pick up both shores on my radar at 6nm range. At 11:18 am we were in the Southgate Group on the North shore. 2 hours since leaving the fuel dock in Port McNeill. All at >3000 rpm and >18 knots in the fog! The 1040 am weather report gave Egg I. at visibility 8 nm with wind E7 and Addenbroke I. in Fitz Hugh Sound at visibility 15 nm winds calm. I am encouraged to keep on going. I can still bail out at Miles Inlet before reaching Cape Caution. The flood in QC Strait will be against me until 3 pm. BUT, that same flood will be WITH me until 2:30 pm NORTH of Cape Caution, going into Smith Sound and Rivers Inlet, as the Pacific flood splits around the North tip of Vancouver Island.

I pass up Miles Inlet. It’s a great spot, but I’m on a roll! At 12:15 pm, I am passing the west end of Slingsby Channel and the Nakwakto Rapids have turned to slack at 11:25 am and are not generating the rough seas as much as 2 miles west of Slingsby, which they do when they are at the full ebb. Going for it!

Approaching the light at Cape Caution. 1:14 pm.

On Chart 3550, I have added 3 red circles around Cape Caution, spaced at 1,2,and 3 nm, and shown some of the recent Nobeltec tracks that Stalwyn has generated going around the Cape. The crappier the weather, the further out you want to be. The depths are actually pretty shallow within a mile of the Cape and the seas will roll up quite a bit. I generally pick my times to go pretty carefully and try to get around as quickly as conditions will allow, and I tend to be in closer than some boats. Today was a good day, but I went out to the west of Egg I. and was riding the swells pretty easily.

Photos of Egg I. from the southwest and west side.

I have now decided to pass up Smith Sound and Smith Inlet as well. 3050 rpm at 17.9 knots. Whale ahead. Not stopping for any more photos. Chart 3934. You can see from the tracks that the usual trip involves a stopover at Fly Basin in Takush Harbour.

Entered Rivers Inlet and headed for Klaquaek Channel (Chart 3934). Anchored in Five Windows Cove at 2:36 pm, using all of the flood to my advantage to get there. 70 nm today in 5 ½ hours, and the barrier of Cape Caution is gone … until I come back south.

At this point I wasn’t all that far from either Duncanby Landing (ESE corner of chart above) or Dawson’s Landing, but I elected not to make a detour to either place for fuel, with my gauge showing 5/8 of a tank, and only about 60 nm to reach New Bella Bella/Shearwater.

Anchored in Five Windows Cove, as named by Douglass, because it has 5 ways in/out between the 5 islands that encompass the anchorage. Port McNeill to Rivers Inlet today. Around Cape Caution in 6 days from Secret Cove.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 22 2009 :  02:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five Windows Cove. Chart 3934. … and the Google Earth locator.

Window To the West

Window To the Northeast. This leads to Magee Channel.

Window To the Southeast (pretty skinny opening). Kayak, high tide only.

Window To the South and the Sunshine Bay community. Dinghy or kayak only.

Window To the Southwest. The main entrance from/exit to Klaquaek Channel.

Depths in the main entrance are adequate at all stages of the tide. This is one of several protected anchorages off Klaquaek Channel, Frypan Bay and Big Frypan Bay among them. There are other good anchorages at Fury Cove on the west side of Penrose I. and Pierce Bay Islands as shown by the tracks. (Cookie Trails … )

Use the Purple (Volume 7) tide book north of Cape Caution. The reference station here is Wadhams in Rivers Inlet. WX3 from Port Hardy is received, as is WX2 from Prince Rupert, via the repeater on Calvert I.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Oct 22 2009 15:21:06

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  13:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are in a new forecasting area: Central Coast from McInnes I. to Pine I.
The reporting Lighthouses on the Central Coast Inside Passage (from North to South, and reported in that order) are McInnes I., Ivory I., Dryad Pt., Addenbroke I., Egg I., and Pine I. That is 6 reports spread out over 90 nm “as the crow flies”. Pretty decent coverage.

The 4 am forecast for the Central Coast for Fri. Aug.7 on WX2 and WX3 was winds light becoming W10-20 by noon and W20-25 by midnight. There is a separate forecast for Queen Charlotte Sound which flanks the Central Coast to the west.

Broke the anchor loose by hand, with some difficulty (but, I’m an old guy) and it came up with a big, solid chunk o’ mud between the flukes. Good holding. Underway by 9 am. Humpback whales in Darby Channel. 0 for 5 with the pics.

I have previously posted pictures of an arbutus tree at the South end of Wellbore Channel that was referred to, in the cruising literature, as the northernmost arbutus (madrona) on the West Coast. Last winter I read an article by a boater, who stated that he/she had seen an arbutus tree in Fifer Bay at the southwest entrance to Fish Egg Inlet. I spent an hour touring the entire shoreline of Fifer Bay, looking for an arbutus tree, and not finding one in Fifer Bay. Then I thought about it, and wondered what kind of self-respecting bird would pick up a ripe arbutus berry in Wellbore Channel, or even further south, and fly 110 nm or more (as the crow flies) just so it could be dropped (or more likely … expelled) in Fifer Bay, in order to claim the record for planting the northernmost arbutus tree in B.C.? I don’t think so, Tim! It took me 5 days by boat. I can’t see this little birdie flying 110 nm with a berry in its beak without swallowing and digesting the doggone thing.

At noon I was passing North of Addenbroke I. reporting visibility 15 nm, and winds SE10 with 2’ chop. I passed up some nice anchorages in Fish Egg Inlet, Kwakume Inlet, and Fougner Bay, and I did so because entry/exit was limited by tides where I wanted to go, and I didn’t want to wait to get in and then have to wait 25 hours to get out again. I crossed Burke Channel and shut down in the NE corner of Kisameet Bay just after 2 pm.

Kisameet Bay anchorage. I keep meeting all these nice old boats like “Miss Vicki”.

37 nm in 5 hours and not an arbutus tree to show for it. Had a nice long kayak paddle around my wind-shielding island, south of my anchorage.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  10:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prince Rupert Coast Guard issued a 4 am forecast on WX2 for the Central Coast of SE15-25 with fog for Sat. Aug. 8. The 4:30 am Lighthouse report was Ivory I. visibility ½ nm, SE10 ; Dryad Point visibility 2, S5; Addenbroke I (now to the south) visibility 8, SE2. Raining in Kisameet Bay.

I normally take on good water at New Bella Bella and fill my fuel tank there even though their prices for fuel are noticeably higher than at Shearwater, 2 nm away, where the “boil water advisory” is usually in effect all summer. I pay the higher fuel price as a “Thank You” for the water. I don’t put the Shearwater water in the tank.

Made an 8:30 to 9:45 am run to New Bella Bella, about 18 nm, only to find the grocery store was out of food, the liquor store was out of beer, and the water in the dam was low enough that no water was being made available for cruising boats, and the fuel pump was just a trickle! So I passed on the $1.25 per liter diesel, and went 2 nm to Shearwater where I got my beer, and topped up the diesel at $1.05 per liter, and passed on their “boil advisory” water. One needs to be aware of the possible supply problems in this area. It helps if you know when the Ferry is scheduled to arrive. I was only 2 days out of Port McNeill, so I wasn’t concerned about my water supply, and good water would be available at Ocean Falls, 25 nm to the NE, and at Klemtu, 50 nm to the NW along the IP.

The New Bella Bella/Shearwater area is surrounded by great pleasure boating waterways and for those who fish, it may currently be the best spot on the B.C. Coast. The 2 communities are on 2 different islands, but are just 2 nm apart, and access major waterways in 3 directions. On the Charts with tracks shown below, it is 15 nm from Shearwater to the anchorage shown in the NW corner of the lower chart (which is not Tom Bay, but Tate Lagoon) and 25 nm from Shearwater to Ocean Falls.

I decided to head for Tate Lagoon for the overnight. I had 2 hours before high water, which I prefer for entry there, and it was sort of on the way to Klemtu, where I wanted to replenish my water tank after a couple of days poking around in previously uncharted waters.

Entrance to Don Peninsula Inlet, which is now called “Tate Lagoon” on new CHS chart 3941. Arrived within 2 hours of leaving the fuel dock at Shearwater.

Made it to the 5 Meter Hole and anchored by 4 pm. In 23’ on a 14’ tide. I musta’ missed the “Hole”. 3 pic pan of the HW surroundings of the “Hole” anchorage.

OS

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Finally back! Topic Next Topic: For what its worth  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.69 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com