BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 So I've been a stink potter forever
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Animosity - Real or Imagined? Topic Next Topic: What knot to use in this case?  

Larry B

RO# 7053

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  20:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved traveling aboard my power boat. Doing the loop was one of my greatest achievments and doing it aboard a sailboat would have been cumbersome.(to many rivers) Now I no longer own that trawler and find myself owning a 40+MPH cruiser on an inland corps of engineers lake. It is about 6 miles long and 1 wide. Taking the cruiser out means I am around the lake in a few minutes and the only thing left is to go around the lake. I find the social aspect of visiting with my fellow boaters, while at the dock, enjoyable but it laks a bit in boating experience. At the same time I see the resident blow boaters impatient to get out on the lake (especially on the wednesday race day). It takes them hours to cover the lake, they seem to come back to the dock feeling they had been boating.I am begining to think if I am to remain on this landlocked lake, sailboating is the way to go. Getting one about the same size as my cruiser would be best. I have never sailed! What would be the best 30 to 35 ft sailboat to buy, in the 50 to $100,000 for an inland lake, and a novice?
Larry B

Homeport: Des Moines

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  23:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Catalina, hunter, benetau, J boats etc all make suitable boats but for racing find out what the locals favor and buy that. IMO you need to start with some sailing lessons. Sailing is a lot more complicated than power boating and racing is a anther higher degree of skill. I'm not saying that you cant learn it but expecting to race a boat without a lot of sailing expertise wont work. Racers are frequently looking for crew, why not start that way and see what happens.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  10:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been sailing and racing much longer than I've been a powerboat owner. As far as racing goes, I second pdecat, racers are always looking for crew and crewing is a much better and cheaper way to learn than buying a boat. As for cruising, I (and my kids) like powerboats because I can get places quicker. And Foot for Foot/dollar for dollar, I think powerboats are better suited to staying/living on while cruising then sailboats are. But it sounds like your objective is to be out longer. What about a daysailer to start. Perfect for a lake. Maybe in the 16-20ft range. Maybe even with a small cuddy cabin to stow stuff. Great way to learn before committing to a larger boat.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:07:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love sailing... wish i had boat a sailboat instead of the Hatt...

for now, i get my fix on Naomi's Hobie 16 which is a ton of fun but eventually I know i'll end up on a sailboat... We often go sailing with a friend who has access to a J24 or catalina 27, just for a couple of hours. very therapeutic. We've been playing with the idea of getting an old cheap 26/30 footer to keep on a mooring nearby so we can go for quick sails now and then...

It's indeed the getting there that's fun, or even going nowhere; just sailing around for a while is fun. Obviously, assuming the lake you're on has some decent winds.

you are probably better off looking at what's already there instead of trucking something from elsewhere, unless it's a small day sailer.

Sailing ins't rocket science. you really what the boat is doing and quickly learn to adjust your sails. racing is another matter, there is nothing like the rush of the start but you'd better know what you're doing.

start going out with some friends, see if it's for you. I've always found that the moment where you turn off the engine the sails take over is absolutely magical.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  23:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Itoo have found myself becoming a sailor.we have 34ft powerboat that we spend a lot of time on.however last summer we joined a yachtclub and my "new friends" are all sailors."Iike othets have said,I started to crew on race days.I was essentially rail meat or ballast.this past winter we started "frostbite" sailing on saturdays on flying scotts. Its quite exhilerating to get to the dock and there is skim ice on the bay.some days it was in the teens!

So I caught the bug,and am taking adult sailing lessons at the club this summer.its a good group of people and a great atmosphere.I am now part of a steady crew as well.

I still love my silverton,it was My first "big boat".this winter I busted my but with the elbows,risers,etc etc.in the back of my head I'm thinking sailboats just have an atomic 4 that run forever,and its only one motor.

Anyway,join a crew,get your feet wet and I bet you'll get the fever and a new boat

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page

saltysam

RO# 26

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On and off I've been sailing since 1947 and I must agree with the most excellent advice that you've been given. The comments are spot on and the wisdom written here should carry you on very well.

I'll add a few words of welcome. Get one of the picture books that advertise "how to sail". Usually well written and good for a quick read. Then jump in with some of your new friends. After a while you might consider a proper short sailing course should one be avalable in your area.

Good Luck!

Cheers!
Bill

Homeport: New River, Ft Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Concorde27

RO# 31518

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  14:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Find out what boats the sailors on your lake are racing. If they have any one-design fleets, then think about getting one of those. I would saunter over to their dock before they go out and ask around to see who needs crew. I am positive you will be offered a ride with someone. Crewing on somebody elses boat is the best deal in sailing. You get your sailing fix on the owner's dime. Owners always are looking for reliable crew. I've been crewing on the same boat with pretty much the same folks for 8 years. Get to know them and the boats that they race. Won't take too long before you will know what kind of sailing experience is right for you.

Larry

Homeport: Niantic, CT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Animosity - Real or Imagined? Topic Next Topic: What knot to use in this case?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com