boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 15 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 140 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Navigation Lights Not Working
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lewmar Horizon 900G windlass Problem Topic Next Topic: voltage regulator 1 or 2  

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  16:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 99 Chris Craft 300. Recently, just noticed my navigation lights are not working. I am assuming it is a fuse, since all three lights are not working and the bulbs look fine.

Would the inline fuse be behind the instrument panel where the three way switch is located?

Any ideas? Thought I would ask first before getting behind the instrument panel.

Thanks!

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  16:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be a fuse or breaker panel somewhere. I don't think it'll be an "inline" fuse but who knows. If it's a blown fuse you'll then have to find the problem that caused it to blow.

Could be something as simple as a bad switch, bad ground or a loose connection. IMO this is more likely.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  17:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea where the fuse panel would be? I have absolutely no idea where it is.

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  17:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would expect that there is a circuit breaker panel within arm's length of the helm... Look around.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  17:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kevrock529

Any idea where the fuse panel would be? I have absolutely no idea where it is.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't find the fuse panel on your boat, you need to get more familiar with it even if you have to pay someone to show you around.

At some point (you're already there but you're safely in port) you will need to replace a fuse to get something working and it might be under less than ideal conditions.

You need spare fuses for each circuit and you need to know where, how, and why to change them.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  17:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got to ask this: how long have you owned the boat? you dont' know where your fuse/breaker panel is????????

there should be a DC panel near the helm... could be on the side, sometimes builders put them under the helm even. on a 1999 boat, i doubt you have fuses... has to be breakers.

you really need to know where the basic things are located. breakers, sea cocks, etc... it's a safety issue.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  17:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really, Really, REALLY need to know!!!

As God said to Noah: "How long can you tread water???"

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  20:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huh well due to the great comments I had to pull the dash off since obviously I would had to of been an idiot to not see individual breakers or fuse box. Looks like there are a bunch of online fuses back there. By the way the boat over a year, know there are a few breakers in the stern storage compartment and one is a main breaker. Also have changed the risers manifolds water pumps plugs wires oil and water sensors fresh water pump just came across this light issue recently. Had no need to get behind the dash. Guess some of you guys have no idea what you are talking about either.. Good help on this one.

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  20:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds to me like some redneck has "rewired" the boat; at least you're getting to know it.

mandm1200

RO# 29581

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  21:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most breakers are right by the switch on the boats I've been on. With navigation lights being pretty important, I would thing that circuit should only be connected to your lights. Some basic checks with a voltmeter should isolate were the problem is.

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Homeport: Lewisberry, PA Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  22:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Guess some of you guys have no idea what you are talking about either."

Quite possibly. It is also possible that your boat does not meet ABYC standards ( which require a breaker panel within reach of the primary helm station ).

OR

Your boat has been re-wired. In any event, I think most are surprised that you waited over a year to inspect the wiring...

Glad you discovered the problem, however.

-edit-

( I believe that it is the ABYC standard that specs that the breaker/distribution panel be near the helm. I do not believe that it is the USCG requirement )

Bill

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - Radioactive on Jun 22 2009 22:21:13

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  23:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in line fuses for nav lights? not standard... this is red neck wiring, no offense to our resident red necks :)

you should not have to pull the dash to get to fuses for critical systems like nav. lights, anchor lights, bilge pumps and other critical equipment. Ideally, these should be protected by breakers, not fuses, and the panel shoudl be near the helm, easily accessible. something isnt' right there... that boat has been re wired for a reason or another.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

swabby9009

RO# 11889

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  00:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"By the way the boat over a year, know there are a few breakers in the stern storage compartment and one is a main breaker. Also have changed the risers manifolds water pumps plugs wires oil and water sensors fresh water pump just came across this light issue recently. Had no need to get behind the dash."

Sounds to me like you might think the "stern storage compartment" is actually the engine room. You found fuses or whatever in the engine room?

Homeport: brewerton ny Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  00:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat the breakers at the helm are located under the dash they are push type to re-set. I will be replacing this panel it has seen better days. I need to flip up the dash/console to see them or stand on my head this is a terrible set up. I just got done vacuuming the area out and cleaning and tightening all the connections and the breakers themselves. The breakers are round and have a trim ring and backing nut to tighten them up.
Bill

WirelessOne,
40 Mainship
Sedan Bridge
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

.......... Guess some of you guys have no idea what you are talking about either.. Good help on this one.

Most of us wouldn't be familiar with your particular make and model boat but we are familiar with how boats in general are set up and safe boating.

I don't think any of us said you were an "idiot", but we did say that you needed to become familiar with your boat in case you need to fix a problem in a hurry or under less than ideal conditions.

If the fuses for your navigation lights are in in-line fuse holders and you have to remove the dash to get to them, I'll bet this is not a factory setup. In any event, if this is the case, have it changed by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"By the way the boat over a year, know there are a few breakers in the stern storage compartment and one is a main breaker."

many builders install the main battery switches and breakers for the windlass in storage comp. near the stern. This allows you to get to the switches without opening the eng. compartment (in case of an electric fire...). Sometimes, breakers or fuses for the bilge pump float switch will be there as well. And near the shore power inlet, you will have a main AC breaker. When the AC panel is 8' or more from the shore inlet, they need to put a breaker near the inlet to protect the wiring to the main panel.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  10:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are breakers in the stern storage compartment, next to the two battery switches. There are only 4 or 5. There are two bilge breakers, which is for the direct battery connection, there is a main breaker, and i forget the other two. But there is not a seperate one for everything. I knew those were back there, but I am assuming the one main breaker goes to everything on the dash.

I do not believe the boat has been rewired. Pretty sure the surveyor would have told me that when I purchased.

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  10:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and PascalG is dead on with what breakers are in the stern storage compartment. I cant imagine the boat has been rewired. The dash looks completely original and there are no holes or anything where the breakers would be. I had an older Donzi prior that had those round pop out breakers on the dash.

vic33004

RO# 27361

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  10:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
back to the original post. pull one of the lights that is not working and check for current at the fixture. its not all that uncommon for the connections at the bulb to corrode slightly and stop working. if you have no current at the fixture you have either a blown fuse or some other wiring issue.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, FL Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  12:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not familiar with that boat but sometimes the fuse/breaker panel is in the cabin (sometimes behind a cabinet door) on the other side of the bulkhead from the helm. I can't imagine Chris Craft using inline fuses.

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  00:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW-Besides the bulbs, which I've been switching over to much more reliable LED fixtures, the DPDT switch to the nav/anchor lights is one of the most common replacement items on my boat.

Kevrocks- Perhaps you could run those fused wires to a more accessible consolidated & labeled fuse panel, or at the very least clearly label each of those inline fuseholders with the name of their load appliance and fuse type & rating. Then put all that info in your onboard maintenance log book as well for easy access to the info & location next time something fails to energize.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. I am a complete idiot. I went down again and looked at it. I sat back stared at the dash. NExt to every switch there is a rubber nipple looking thing. THAT IS THE BREAKER! It has the pop out breaker, but its covered over to protect from water with these rubber nipple things. I felt the one next to the navigation light switch and sure enough it needed to be pushed in. I think the post light snapped it, because it was loose and jiggled alot. CRAZY EASY!

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  12:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you were able to find the breaker and rset it. Sometimes things just stare us in the face but we don't see them. Don't let some of the comments get to you; they're usually not trying to be mean. They're just concerned that you, as the captain, seem unfamiliar with the locations of key elements on your boat. During an emergency while on the water would not be the time to try to find them. So, take some time at the dock to find and list the locations of all fuses, breakers, switches, safety equipment, etc. You should also make sure you have properly-sized spare fuses on hand. Safe boating, Hy.

Homeport: Eastport, NY Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  12:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been there, done that!!!

Kicked yourself yet???

rnbenton

RO# 31163

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  14:19:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good deal! Now, take a little time and check all of your connections for thightness, corrosion, etc. Something made that circuit breaker pop. So, it may be a bad breaker, loose ground or corroded connection. So, check it all out and prevent it from popping agin.

quote:

Ok. I am a complete idiot. I went down again and looked at it. I sat back stared at the dash. NExt to every switch there is a rubber nipple looking thing. THAT IS THE BREAKER! It has the pop out breaker, but its covered over to protect from water with these rubber nipple things. I felt the one next to the navigation light switch and sure enough it needed to be pushed in. I think the post light snapped it, because it was loose and jiggled alot. CRAZY EASY!

Key West 196 Bay Reef, 150 Yamaha
USCG 50 Ton MMC, Tow Assist Endorsement

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

kevrock529

RO# 29877

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  19:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't take offense just get frustrated sometimes. I need to learn with boat stuff it isn't always super co
plicated, I just assume it's going to be. Hahaha

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  19:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep enjoying the boating experience. And you are correct: very little of the required knowledge is difficult. But there IS an awful lot of "simple stuff". It takes a while for it all to soak in. Just keep on trying to learn something new about your boat everyday. It is a pleasant exercise and useful, too.

I think you will find that boat designers will make you nuts; I know that they get me cuckoo all of the time. ( "But, why's they do that!" )

Bill

Previous Topic: Lewmar Horizon 900G windlass Problem Topic Next Topic: voltage regulator 1 or 2  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.83 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com