BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 Offer accepted!!!!!!!!!!!The final offer is on the
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cruisers 4280/4285 Topic Next Topic: 300/310 Express
Page: of 2

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  20:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I look at it this way. If they fix everything and I can verify they are done correctly, I'm no worse off than if I purchased the boat from another seller that just had the repairs done before selling it. The engine is the only questionable part and I would like to be there the day of the work to supervise what they are doing. I consider myself pretty technical and mechanically inclined so I can make a pretty good assessment at whether the repairs were done correctly.

As far as the broker/marina doing the work is not my choice as it's not my boat. I also don't have a local mechanic to have done the work. I think the service dept. at the marina is a little light on work so they may be taking the opportunity to get some work from he bank instead of giving the credit. I wish they would just drop the price for all items and I could save on tax and probably do the repairs cheaper, but I'm not taking ownership with the engine in a questionable state unless there is a huge reduction.

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

norman

RO# 6397

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  22:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what happened? I stumbled onto this thread today and it read like a good novel...with no ending. Michael were the repairs done? Did you buy the boat?

Homeport: Orillia, Ontario Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  06:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised Mike hasn't replied yet but he will. I don't know if he had any motor work done but I do know he bought and is enjoying the boat. He docks it on the same dock as I it's a nice boat.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

norman

RO# 6397

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  06:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks David. Glad to hear everything worked out.

~Norm

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:52:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've logged onto the site maybe 3 times since thanksgiving. I'm too depressed to see how the southern boys are enjoying their boats and I'm freezing my arse off. Thanks for chiming in Dave.

Norm, we did end up buying the boat and was able to negotiate the cost of an engine replacement out of the purchase price. I never had the work done but have performed regular oil analysis on the engines and they appear to be much improved and the wear that they mentioned has not appeared in subsequent samples. What’s done is done, but the compression numbers are right on and it runs with no issues. One thought was that they had a previous engine issue that was repaired and never changed the oil, or didn’t get enough oil out and left quite a bit of remnants in the oil. Since the purchase we've logged about 50 hours on the engines and they still perform very well with no issues. We ended up purchasing it as is and no repairs were done by the bank. All the other items in my punch list I repaired replaced or found out it was just a breaker reset. Total investment to get everything on my punch list repaired is > $ 1000. A few items are below.

Generator – Needed plugs changed (This was a big amen)
Windlass – Big Red breaker needed to be pushed in. (hard to push)
Water heater – Was bypassed for winterizing.
Cockpit fridge – Still needs replacing, but it’s on my list for this spring.

Overall we are very happy with how things turned out. We got a great deal on the boat and feel that I’m still ahead of the game. If I could only get more time to enjoy it for more than 6 months a year I’d be happier. Jackson Marine out of Northeast, MD was really good to work with. They were very professional and helpful all along the way. If anyone is looking for a repo’d Formula, give them a call, they were getting in a bunch of them as we pulled out of the marina. (ask for Steve)

And we all lived happily ever after!

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

norman

RO# 6397

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  18:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike...it sounds like you got a great deal. Well done. And now we know the rest of the story.

I know what you mean about the cold weather and short boating season. It's been a bitter winter here in Toronto. I just keep looking forward to that day when I'll be one of those guys down south all winter.

Good Luck.

~Norm

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Cruisers 4280/4285 Topic Next Topic: 300/310 Express  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.43 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com