BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 Maxum Canvas
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Washer/Dryer in Maxum 4600 SCB Topic Next Topic: Spotlight replacement Maxum 4600 SCB  

CaptNCamille

RO# 31130

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  07:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been having problems with my 2 year old Maxum's canvas. Since I put the boat in the water in the beginning of June, I have had one zipper break (lost several teeth), then the seam to another zipper opened up. I had those both fixed. Then yesterday I had another zipper jam, and it looks like that zipper is about to lose its teeth.

What's going on? Have any other Maxum owners had this problem?

BTW, it doesn't cost a lot to fix thesse problems, but it's a real hassel.
I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
Abraham Lincoln

Homeport: W.Babylon, NY

jrpar

RO# 11343

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  22:11:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got nearly 8 years from my canvas.. It wasn't nearly the quality of the new one I had made, but I know I wasn't having problems 2yrs in.
I do know the thread will rot around year 5-6 or so a re-stiching may be in order. Do you apply protectant to the zips?

Homeport: Palm Coast, FL Go to Top of Page

Mike McManus

RO# 958

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  20:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wanted to say if you need to have a seam sewn do yourself a favor and remove the canvas top from te frames when you bring it to a canvas shop. they cant get it under the needle on the frame and will save time and money. if its a small repair alot of times ill do it no charge..

Homeport: Port charlotte , Florida Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Store your boat out of the sun for longer lasting canvas.

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

cdstegall

RO# 13689

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  20:10:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 96 maxum with origional cavas that is still in good shape. All zippers are origional and the glass is still in good shape. our canvas is installed at least 6 mo out of the year.

David
Maxum 2400
Yacht Club of St Louis

Homeport: St Charles, MO Go to Top of Page

giantsteve

RO# 10596

Posted - Oct 09 2012 :  18:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2001 2300SR and I'm looking for replacement covers. Any suggestions?

Steve
Giantsteverb2rb2@gr5tgr5taol.com

95% of PWC operators give the rest a bad name!

Homeport: Tarrytown, NY Go to Top of Page

Captstever

RO# 15892

Posted - Nov 13 2012 :  08:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zippers are susceptible to drying out quickly in certain environments such as very salty or dry conditions. Also, it the boat is being washed frequently with a stronger soap and not completely rinsed off, that will dry it out. I always use a good amount of zipper lube to make sure that the oils remain in the zipper.
The other problem is that if you are looking at having a very tight fit, that is not normal for a plastic zipper and will cause the teeth to start breaking off. The problem happens alot around corners where the owner forces the zipper around. Finally, it could just be the quality of the zippers. Your installer might have scrimped on the zippers or used really old zippers. All of the also applies to the stitching.
So the problem could be.. to tight of fit, cheap zippers, lack of lube and lack of rinsing off after washing.

Capt. Steve Russell

"The frog is on the Right"

Edited by - Captstever on Nov 13 2012 08:07:45

Homeport: Boca Raton, Fl Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Washer/Dryer in Maxum 4600 SCB Topic Next Topic: Spotlight replacement Maxum 4600 SCB  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com