boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 13 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: MikDee ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 How much should it cost to replace bellows?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bayliner full of water Topic Next Topic: Change Oil Pump?  

Waynepj4

RO# 30904

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  18:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

I have water in the aft bilge. I'm guessing that the u-joints or bellows are leaking and letting water in. My question is how much should it cost for the following:
-haul out
-drive service and replace bellows
-thorough wash, buff and wax of boat.

Im relatively new to boating and dont have a frame of reference when it comes to maintenance costs so I have no way of knowing if Im getting ripped off or not.

Homeport: Martinez, CA

pickconst

RO# 31354

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  20:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
service/ replace bellows about 1000 parts and labor if done at marina or by mechanic i did my own for 125 in parts its a pain but doable

Homeport: ct Go to Top of Page

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  00:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you seriously think the bellows is causing your water in the bilge problemmm.....you'd better pull the boat right away regardless of how much it costs. A leaking bellows is a sinking in the waiting.

KALENA II

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

TheoMD

RO# 15854

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....to say nothing of the corrosion potential to your gimbal bearing/ U-joints

Homeport: Cotuit, MA Go to Top of Page

Type-A

RO# 24241

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depending on the damage done, it could be $4,000 for twins - been there, done that. :(

Russ
Oshkosh, WI

2005 Cruisers Yachts 300 Express

Homeport: Oshkosh, WI Go to Top of Page

Waynepj4

RO# 30904

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanqueray

If you seriously think the bellows is causing your water in the bilge problemmm.....you'd better pull the boat right away regardless of how much it costs. A leaking bellows is a sinking in the waiting.

Ouch..thats a horrible thought. Will have to pull some money together and have the boat pulled if not this weekend, next weekend. So far, I havent seen a substantial amount of water that would lead me to believe the boat is in danger of sinking.

I spend some time on the boat and the auto bilge never comes on.

Homeport: Martinez, CA Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I paid <$700 to get my bellows done on my Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2, including haulout and launch, not including wash, wax, buff. It also included a trim sender.

Agree though, if you have to you have to.

Thanks,
Ron

Homeport: Amityville, NY Go to Top of Page

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just how large is this Boat that you need a few weeks to pull enough money together to get it pulled? Don't take this the wrong way because I in no way mean it as a personal attack but seriously....If you can't afford to get the Boat pulled out of the water when sinking is imminent.....can you really afford Boating?
If I were you and someone credible (maybe you need more people to tell you) tells me that my boat will sink if it has a certain problem (which yours does) then I would find a way to get it out of the water.

If nothing else...I hope you've got Insurance although I seriously doubt that they'd give you anything after knowing that you've got a problem and letting it stay in the water anyway. One of the biggest factors considered in the payment of claims is whether or not you've done everything you can to protect the vessel from any further damage which in this case you have not. A leaking Bellows will NOT fix itself but only get worse. Just because it isn't leaking much right now....does NOT mean that it'll be the same way tomorrow....or an hour from now for that matter.

KALENA II

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

aholst1

RO# 20936

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen to Tanq! A chronic small leak is will become a big deal when you lose power at the marina and then your bilge pumps run your batteries down and/or the volume of the leak exceeds the gph on your bilge pumps. Water in the bilge can be normal, is your bilge pump cycling on and off indicating a leak? Regarding cost, plan on about $1000. If you have twin outdrives, get them both done.

Homeport: International Harbor Company, Friendsville, TN Go to Top of Page

ddurand

RO# 5015

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  15:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are jumping to conclusions when you says its the bellows. There are many other things that can leak and or rain water that could allow water into the bilge.

But having said that you need to determine what the cause is.

All the bellows should be done every 5 years and inspected annually. But if you are new, then you may not know when it was done last.

Also is there just a little water in the bilge or maybe more but the bilge pump pumps it and you only see a little?

Homeport: Hyde Park, NY Go to Top of Page

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  17:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is another good reason to have your boat on a lift. Even if there is a leak and your bilge pump doesn't work, the boat will stay high and dry until you drop the boat into the water. That very thing happened to me! When I discovered the leak, I simply raised the boat above the water again and was able to handle the repair at my convenience w/o an emergency haul out. That one incident paid for the cost of the lift in time and money!

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  23:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a very nice pic of my very very used 1st purchased boat at the mooring. When I have shown it to friends they asked which one is it , the one on the left or right? I have to tell them it's the antenna in the middle. Caused by an undiscovered corroded gimble housing right after full service at the yard . Even that was not noticed by the yard until it started to sink right away the 2nd time at 1st launch after I had paid an add'l $2000+ yard pickle & repair bills for a $1700 boat(over 35 yrs ago.)

As ddurand advises don't assume it is the bellows or only that- inspect everything very closely. The hole in mine was tiny and very hard to see unless one poked it with an awl, but eventually the pump killed the battery & she became a flounder.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

3birds

RO# 14567

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had someone drive the boat while you look around the engine to see where the water is coming from? It may just be a loose hose. Or was the bilge dry when you left the boat and when you came back the next time, the water was in the bilge?

Homeport: Dove Canyon CA Go to Top of Page

vnar

RO# 30791

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once had a problem where the pressure relief valve on the water heater would leak whenever the water pressure pump was turned on or the the engine ran since it heat up the tank with engine water and build up pressure. It leaked right into the bilge so check everything else first.

Waynepj4

RO# 30904

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  15:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vnar

I once had a problem where the pressure relief valve on the water heater would leak whenever the water pressure pump was turned on or the the engine ran since it heat up the tank with engine water and build up pressure. It leaked right into the bilge so check everything else first.

If there is a leak it is in the transom area. How many places can it come from? YOu have teh bellows and ujoints by the outdrive and you have the through hull fittings. Arent there only a finite number of possibilities?
Getting the boat hauled without some sort of ball park quote from the mechanic is like writing the mechanic a blank check.

I paid 900 to have a fuel pump replaced because the boat would not exceed 3000 rpms. A week later I have the exact same problem..but with 900 less in my bank account. Im going back to the same mechanic becuase the parts and labor are still under warranty and they have to repair that issue. So far, my experience with this mechanic has not been good. Once I have these two issues completed..depending on how things go..I might have to find another mechanic, reliable, trustworth and affordable.

Waynepj4

RO# 30904

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waynepj4

quote:
Originally posted by vnar

If there is a leak it is in the transom area. How many places can it come from? YOu have teh bellows and ujoints by the outdrive and you have the through hull fittings. Arent there only a finite number of possibilities?
Getting the boat hauled without some sort of ball park quote from the mechanic is like writing the mechanic a blank check.

I paid 900 to have a fuel pump replaced because the boat would not exceed 3000 rpms. A week later I have the exact same problem..but with 900 less in my bank account. Im going back to the same mechanic becuase the parts and labor are still under warranty and they have to repair that issue. So far, my experience with this mechanic has not been good. Once I have these two issues completed..depending on how things go..I might have to find another mechanic, reliable, trustworth and affordable.

Also, I spent a few hours on the boat this weekend..auto bilge never comes on and I dont see water in the engine area.
A few gallons of water pump out of the aft bilge..non from the forward bilge.

Flutterby

RO# 14378

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  15:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waynepj4

I might have to find another mechanic, reliable, trustworth and affordable.

Two out of three of those would be good. All three is nearly impossible!

Just think about the mess Obama inherit this time. And it ain't Bush's fault!!!

Homeport: California Sierras/Gold Country Go to Top of Page

GaryP

RO# 15124

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  20:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A little water in the bilge is not unusual on many boats, don't jump to the most expensive option till you figure out where it's coming from. Once the motor is warm and runing, carefully look and crawl around to see where the water comes from. Does it "fill" when you're running or after you sit in the slip? If it's when you're running, it most likely is a hose clamp, drain plug, leaking gasket, could be lots of things that are a lot less to fix than the bellows.

1999 Chaparral 2835 ssi

Homeport: CO Go to Top of Page

mchad

RO# 4410

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  10:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wondered about this. If there was a small tear in the drive bellows, but it was on the inside of one of the pleats, would that necessarily leak when the drive was straight? Perhaps turning the drive lock to lock, or raising and lowering it might show a leak that would otherwise go unnoticed?

Homeport: Ossining, NY Go to Top of Page

dinows

RO# 7679

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having my bellows replaced this week, twin Alpha Ones. Price for labor and parts is 750 for the entire job, that includes both sides

Homeport: Portsmouth, Rye N.H. Go to Top of Page

AbsoLoot

RO# 3617

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  15:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne,

I agree with the others that you may be jumping to the worst conclusion too soon. Check out leaks on the engine, both while running and when just sitting. If nothing else, you may want to ask around and see if anyone at your marina has a trailer that will handle your boat. If I remember right is a 28 footer which is trailerable. That would at least get it out of the water so you do a thorough inspection.

Blue Skies,
Dave

As light fades, vision increases
Blind people have vision!

Homeport: California Delta & SF Bay Go to Top of Page

Type-A

RO# 24241

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:18:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clean water = rain water. I have 2 pop-up cleats on the boat and they allow rain to come in. I was bored one weekend when it rained out all weekend so I climbed into the engine compartment and saw it coming in. Did that out of paranoia b/c of my leaking bellows the year before.

Russ
Oshkosh, WI

2005 Cruisers Yachts 300 Express

Homeport: Oshkosh, WI Go to Top of Page

KinCal

RO# 15235

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  18:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Putting your finger in the water and taste it - unless you suspect a black water leak :). If the leak is not found/obvious then wipe the bilge as dry as possible then spread some dry jello mix around then the location of water travel or the leak itself is obvious.

Kerry

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

myoldboat2

RO# 26606

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  00:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> I paid 900 to have a fuel pump replaced because the boat would not exceed 3000 rpms. A week later I have the exact same problem..but with 900 less in my bank account.

yup, i went through two mechanics like that. i'd pay them to create more problems with my boat. being in the midwest, we don't have the wide selection of boat mechanics that those on the coasts do. so i got the manuals and got my hands dirty. i've worked on just about every system now, thanks to the fine folks on this forum who are willing to help out a newbie like me. most of what i've done has been very successful. i'm currently changing my coupler because it looks like i didn't align it very well two years ago, but the cost of parts is almost nothing compared to the thousands i was paying mechanics to not fix my boat.

> I might have to find another mechanic, reliable, trustworth and affordable.

yeah, well, good luck with that. it took me 20 years to find an auto mechanic that is reliable and trustworthy--but he ain't cheap!

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

rwilhite

RO# 3478

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  11:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wayne, I just finished a bellows replacement project on my Volvo-Penta DPS outdrive. It cost me $154 in parts because I also replaced the u-joints and gimal bearing while I had the stern drive off the boat. The Volvo setups are a lot easier to work on than the Mercruiser outdrives - which I had proven to me by doing the same thing on my son's Mercruiser Alpha 1 powered boat. The Mercruiser job took me twice as long and did require the Bellows expansion tool, engine alignment tool and bearing driver tool.

The easiest way to determine if it is the bellows that is causing the leak is to put the boat in the water and then tilt the stern drive all the way up without the engine running. Tilting the engine up flexes the bellows fully and expands the bellows to its full length. Observe the bilge as close to the transom as possible to see if water is coming in. After 15 minutes or so turn the stern drive all the way to port and give it another 15 minutes. Again observe if the bilge water is rising. Then turn the outdrive all the way to starboard and repeat the process. Lastly, trim the stern drive all the way down into negative trim and again observe for 15 minutes. If you can't see water gathering in the bilge during and after this, then you don't have a bad bellows.

In my experience, all of these bellows, whether Mercruiser or Volvo Penta, end up with the bellows splitting along the bottom right inside one of the pleats. This allows very little water to leak into the bellows when the engine is in neutral trim since the bellows pleat is compressed and mostly seals off the leak. But when you give the drive some up trim the bellows expands and the split in the pleat is opened up and water starts coming in pretty seriously.

rwilhite

Homeport: Merritt Island, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Bayliner full of water Topic Next Topic: Change Oil Pump?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.77 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com