BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 151 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Marion - Bermuda 2009
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Questions from a wanna-be (GSB) Topic Next Topic: I met a sad old couple today.  

Gerrynoank

RO# 29036

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:38:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd share a little vid of this years race. We're 300 miles out with 250 miles to go when a watch-member took this. The boat is a J-44. That evening, our watch got 17.7 knots surfing/reaching in about 28 knots of breeze with 40' trails of phosphorescence behind the boat. An awsome sight!

We finished 3rd in class with the last 150 miles absolutely grueling. 30 knots on the nose, 40 knot sustained gusts, and 25' seas.

Can't wait for Newport-Bermuda next year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWSaXqgBUro

Homeport: Noank, CT

saltysam

RO# 26

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks Great!. That's a wonderful momento of the Race. I did Newport-Bermuda about a million years ago in the 1950s and every now and then I recall some beautiful sailing.

Cheers!
Bill

Homeport: New River, Ft Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW that looks like a blast. I never sailed but it looks exciting to be moving throught the waves at that speed. If you ever need an extra i'm in!

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great footage. Know several people who did the race in an Alden 44(?). They said it was the hardest Bermuda race they've ever done. Busted two Jib halyards and the boom. They were not out of sight of the Vineyard until Monday and then got brutalized. Said the last 48hrs beating toward Bermuda was a real adventure. Hoping to do the Newport Bermuda next year. I have requested calm seas and a reach in 15-20knt winds the whole way!

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  14:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for sharing- looks like fun to me!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Gerrynoank

RO# 29036

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last 32 hours of the race we -
Blew out our heavy #2, delaminated the #3, tore through the main on one of the battens to where we could only use it in the second reef point, cracked the fuel tank on a seam dumping 40 gallons of diesel fuel into the cabin, which in turn shorted out ALL battery power in the boat.

Still managed to hold on to 3rd in class.

Marion/Bermuda & Newport/Bermuda are like childbirth (as child birth has been discribed to me). It's painfull during, but after, you just want to do it all over again.......

Homeport: Noank, CT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Questions from a wanna-be (GSB) Topic Next Topic: I met a sad old couple today.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com