boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: Logan ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Honda genny exhaust extension
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Caption this... Topic Next Topic: Raymarine RL80C plus  

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  09:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not want to open another thread regarding the safety factor of using a carry-on genny. I just want to know if anyone could offer advice on how to extend the exhaust outlet on a Honda 2000 genny by about 6 inches. Do not worry, I do not plan to run the genny in the cockpit or the e.r.
Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  11:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paper towel center rolls fit perfectly.... Oops Sorry Got that from BOB....
Can you get an extension at a car part place like the ones seen on low riders and pimp mobile exhausts?

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

Shake n Bake

RO# 16525

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  12:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure which Honda generator you have but a buddy of mine simply used some threaded cast iron pipe to extend his exhaust.

Homeport: Marco Island, FL Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  15:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Honda 2000 portable genny.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  16:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shake n Bake

I'm not sure which Honda generator you have but a buddy of mine simply used some threaded cast iron pipe to extend his exhaust.

Did he thread it through the plastic or inside the muffler?

I have seen it done through the plastic, to the muffler and using some high temp silicone to seal the two. The ones I have seen used one of these:

and depending on the use and time of day, had adapters to run the exhaust where it was best suited for the time of day.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  16:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Did he thread it through the plastic or inside the muffler?"

David,
What do you mean by "through the plastic" ? Are you referring to the red plastic exterior housing that encases the genny.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  19:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were to extend it I'd extend it several FEET. Note the skinny little pipe in the center of the pic, that's the genset exhaust.

This particular boat had a MARINE genset, but I see no reason it wouldn't work with a portable.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Edited by - stmbtwle on Aug 10 2009 19:17:38

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

two_rocks

RO# 20862

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  19:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a person that makes an adapter - then puts high temp hose on it, but I forget where the link is (just bought the Yamaha version and probably deleted it).

The guy selling it even mentioned putting the hose under water to dampen the sound even more.

As far as the extension, there are lots of RV'ers who have the exhaust of the Honda 2K extended by many feet.

Edited by - two_rocks on Aug 10 2009 22:23:52

Homeport: MA Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  20:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two_rocks

There is a person whom make an adapter - then puts high temp hose on it, but I forget where the link is (just bought the Yamaha version and probably deleted it).

The guy selling it even mentioned putting the hose under water to dampen the sound even more.

As far as the extension, there are lots of RV'ers who have the exhaust of the Honda 2K extended by many feet.

tworocks
that is exactly what I am trying to do, extend the exhaust by several feet. I am just rying to determine to best method to connect to the genny to feet out an exhaust extension.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

Edited by - folieadeux on Aug 13 2009 18:19:50

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  22:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by folieadeux

"Did he thread it through the plastic or inside the muffler?"

David,
What do you mean by "through the plastic" ? Are you referring to the red plastic exterior housing that encases the genny.

Neal,

I don't know what color the plastic is today. My 2000iu has a black cover over the muffler. The adapter I posted above screwed through the black plastic cover and over the exhaust port of the muffler. The "joint" between the fitting and the muffler was sealed with either a high temp gasket or high temp silicone.

The photo below is similar to my 2000iU.

The black cover on my unit is similar to the one here. The muffler outlet is on the left side of the photo.

Ironically, this photo shows the adapter that allows the 2000iU to run on propane. Interesting....

The photo Willie posted is the result of several CO injuries and unfortunately CO deaths on house boats due to poorly evacuated exhaust gasses. It is the method tested and proven effective by NIOSH. The difference in CO readings with and without this exhaust is astronomical.

I am not an engineer, so I can't speak as to the back pressure effects on a Honda 2000. I would imagine an anemometer could be used to make a comparison. I do know the house boat version routes the gennie exhaust through a separator. The exhaust water goes through the hull into the water; the CO goes up the tube.

IMHO, I don't think it would be that big a deal on your Regal. The length you would have to extend the exhaust to get it out of harms way is no where near the distance required to get it over a house boat.

Keep us posted. Let me know if I can be of any help.

I am looking to make the same adapter for Saint Max this winter. It won't be pretty, but it will be effective.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

two_rocks

RO# 20862

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  22:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look up "Generator , Exhaust Extension" on ebay by jimsoutdoorsupplies

Simple to make - he charges way too much - but you get the idea.

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  22:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sky is falling

Edited by - TIC on Aug 10 2009 22:58:18

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  23:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TIC

The sky is falling

??????????

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TIC

The sky is falling

What David said

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  06:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David

That picture you posted is my exact genny, same colors and material. I guess I mispoke regarding the color of the casing, you are correct, it is black where the muffler is covered.

From your suggestion, does the connector just self thread into the black plastic housing over the muffler outlet? I will have to dig my genny out of the garage tonight and take a closer look.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  08:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neal,

The black plastic is soft. It just self threads in.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  08:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KiDa

Neal,

The black plastic is soft. It just self threads in.

Edit add..

I like the setup two rocks posted. I can't recall if the nipple is that long on the Honda muffler. Agree the price is insane for 2 - 3 dollars worth of parts.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  09:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anytime a honda genny question is posted, the sky starts to fall, if you dare speak of modifying one in any way shape or form, the sky will fall for sure. :)

Glenn Dombroski

RO# 28410

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one way to do it http://www.macgregor26x.com/modt/index.php?view=653

Homeport: Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  15:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Dombroski

Here's one way to do it http://www.macgregor26x.com/modt/index.php?view=653

Thanks for that link, that is a great explanation.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  19:57:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I don't like about the setup in the link above is the 90* bend being permanent, but I see where it works for the application. I would make it a straight shot out of the gennie and have an assortment of extensions to adapt to the situation.

For example, a 90* with long hose for night time. A 45* with a hose to run off the side of the platform if you are swimming off the platform...etc...

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  20:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the 90 degree bend is that permanent; it's screwed into the welded-on coupling, but could still be removed if he wanted to.

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

TIC

RO# 29813

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  21:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bungie ours to the swim platform and use the shorepower cord with household adapter to plug into the Honda.. I really don't see the need to route the exhaust underwater?... As far as weather protection goes, Ours stays on the swim platform rain or shine and it's run through some torrential downpours with no issues. I don't think you are suppossed to leave it run in the rain but we do, being careful not to mess with the cord or touch the genny at all when it's running in the rain.

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  21:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TIC

We bungie ours to the swim platform and use the shorepower cord with household adapter to plug into the Honda.. I really don't see the need to route the exhaust underwater?... As far as weather protection goes, Ours stays on the swim platform rain or shine and it's run through some torrential downpours with no issues. I don't think you are suppossed to leave it run in the rain but we do, being careful not to mess with the cord or touch the genny at all when it's running in the rain.

The newer models have a 30 amp twist lock. I do not know if there is a retrofit.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

mandm1200

RO# 29581

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  21:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TIC

We bungie ours to the swim platform and use the shorepower cord with household adapter to plug into the Honda.. I really don't see the need to route the exhaust underwater?... As far as weather protection goes, Ours stays on the swim platform rain or shine and it's run through some torrential downpours with no issues.

I hook mine up a little different. I use a short extention cord and use an adapter at the shore power connector.

When it rains we run the generator in the cabin so it won't get wet. Of course I don't do that. My portable is used for the battery charger, water heater (sometimes), and for coffee in the morning. It gets about 10-20 hours of use per year while on the hook. I use it more while the boat is on the trailer than on the hook.

"If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Homeport: Lewisberry, PA Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  06:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only thing I don't like about the setup in the link above is the 90* bend being permanent, but I see where it works for the application. I would make it a straight shot out of the gennie and have an assortment of extensions to adapt to the situation.

For example, a 90* with long hose for night time. A 45* with a hose to run off the side of the platform if you are swimming off the platform...etc...

David

I agree with you. it seems to best solution is to have a straight threaded piece connected dirctly into the exhaust that would allow different hoses to be screwed onto the threaded piece depending on conditions.

I just need to find a secure way to attach the straight piece into the exhuast. I checked with the guy mentioned above on ebay but he said he has not found a way to convert the Honda genny for an exhaust extension. I am starting a search to locate the plumbing piece that you pictured in your post about.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

Edited by - folieadeux on Aug 13 2009 18:19:07

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  11:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by folieadeux

quote:

David

I agree with you. it seems to best solution is to have a straight threaded piece connected dirctly into the exhaust that would allow different hoses to be screwed onto the threaded piece depending on conditions.

I just need to find a secure way to attach the straight piece into the exhuast. I checked with the guy mentioned above on ebay but he said he has not found a way to convert the Honda genny for an exhaust extension. I am starting a search to locate the plumbing piece that you pictured in your post about.

Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware have them.

If you know a welding shop in your area, they should be able to fix you up with a metal extension on the muffler. I like the permanent set up a lot.

Here is the only drawing I could find of the Honda muffler.

http://www(dot)superxpower(dot)com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

Seaquel 2

RO# 31451

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  10:24:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread. I too have the same genny. Can I ask why you want to extend the exhaust only 6 inches? And what of back pressure. Is that a problem

Ralph

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The short extension is more or less a holding place which allows one to attach a longer PVC pipe well aft of the boat and under water to dissipate CO and sound.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

two_rocks

RO# 20862

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  13:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'd go with the PVC - opt for high temp tubing. Going to do some testing to see what I can come up with for the water exhaust extension. Thinking of SS tube wrapped in high temp exhaust header wrap - then fed through a high temp hose. Or just the hose depending on how hot things get.

I just got my Yamaha EF2000i and took it apart (completely); the exhaust looks to be very easy to extend to the water (or outside the shed for home use). Nicely built unit with plenty of power for my needs and blue to match the boat (hundred$ less than the Honda and emissions rated for 3x the hours as well).

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  17:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think a 6" extension will be a problem, but like David mentioned "back pressure" may be something to check into, especialy if you have a 90 degree bend.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

248Vista

RO# 20357

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  18:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to the hardware store and buy a pipe fitting. Thats pretty much all the guy on ebay is selling for 30 bucks. I just used a brass fitting that is split into two pieces. One end is attached to muffler and the other end to a copper pipe extension. The two just screw together. I will try to get a pic f\of it. Its kind of hard to explain.

2004 Four Winns 248 Vista Cruiser

Homeport: Mystic CT Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  18:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 248Vista

Go to the hardware store and buy a pipe fitting. Thats pretty much all the guy on ebay is selling for 30 bucks. I just used a brass fitting that is split into two pieces. One end is attached to muffler and the other end to a copper pipe extension. The two just screw together. I will try to get a pic f\of it. Its kind of hard to explain.

What holds the fitting onto the muffler?

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  18:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquel 2

Interesting thread. I too have the same genny. Can I ask why you want to extend the exhaust only 6 inches? And what of back pressure. Is that a problem

My plan is to extend the exhaust with some type of metal attached to the exhaust so that I can then attach hi-temp exhaust hose to route the exhaust under water. My boat is small and many times when crew are sitting along the aft seat, the noise from the genny can be a little bit loud.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

Riverratt

RO# 12842

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a small cruiser like you do. I would buy one of these Honda's today if I could figure out a way to route the exhaust underwater.

Homeport: St Charles, Missouri Go to Top of Page

Padraig

RO# 4792

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  06:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Riverratt

I have a small cruiser like you do. I would buy one of these Honda's today if I could figure out a way to route the exhaust underwater.

Am I missing something? The link posted earlier tells how to do it. Seems quite simple.

Padraig

Homeport: Western NY Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the exhaust extensions at Camping world.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am surprided that the rubber exhaust hose used in those pictures doesent burn. It is designed for wet exhaust not dry.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  09:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the reason why rubber/plastic is OK on the exhaust is because the honda is so efficient in its combustion process, that basically what remains is water vapor.

The combustion efficiency is similar to the new residential boilers that use PVC for the exhaust. No longer do they use metal flues for ducting because the efficiency is so high leading to ultra low exhaust temps.

two_rocks

RO# 20862

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  11:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dl2525

I believe the reason why rubber/plastic is OK on the exhaust is because the honda is so efficient in its combustion process, that basically what remains is water vapor.

Honda has not changed the laws of physics or reinvented the wheel - the exhaust is still hot - but not nearly as hot as the Briggs lawn mower exhaust.

Edited by - two_rocks on Aug 14 2009 11:18:11

dl2525

RO# 31205

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  11:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two_rocks

quote:
Originally posted by dl2525

Honda has not changed the laws of physics or reinvented the wheel - the exhaust is still hot - but not nearly as hot as the Briggs lawn mower exhaust.

If I implied that Honda 'changed the laws of physics', I'm sorry because that's not what I meant.

What I specifically said was that they have engineered the engine in such a way to make the combustion process super efficient which ultimately lowers exhaust temperatures.

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  12:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Honda Eu2000i's exhaust isn't very hot at all. You can hold your hand and inch or two away from it and it's just warm.

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5-7gph. Two hulls are better than one!
This is an ethanol-free boat.

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  12:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
even when running at full load??

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  13:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

even when running at full load??

Kurt is correct, even at full load the exhaust is not very hot.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  13:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I clocked mine at 116* on radar.

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

-- Me

marathon man

RO# 23428

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  23:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sky, the sky.

Homeport: Ketchum, Grand Lake O' The Cherokees Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  23:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I clocked mine at 116* on radar.

David,

Was that the exhaust coming out or the muffler itself? I actually carry a little infrared temp sensor in my "goody bag". I'll try and remember to take a reading on mine the next time we have it lit up.

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5-7gph. Two hulls are better than one!
This is an ethanol-free boat.

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Caption this... Topic Next Topic: Raymarine RL80C plus  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com