BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 2009 Buzzards Bay Regatta
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What knot to use in this case? Topic Next Topic: Ebon  

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished the regatta this weekend. 3 Days of racing and I am sore and beat. We raced in the PHRF Spin 2 Class with a total of 16 boats in our class. Came in 5th. Not too shabby for beer can sailors. Our most exciting moments were:
1. Seeing a C&C99 get speared at the start by another boat right in front of us. Almost smacked into them both but they came apart and we went between 'um.
2. Droping of crew on another boat so we could head home from the circle on Sunday. We were pitching around in 3ft chop and 15knts of breeze. One guys went into the drink but held onto the life lines and was pulled aboard.
3. Heading to windward mark and getting ready for spin set on Friday. Spin bag came off rail and was haning in water on leward side. Bowman went to get it and as rail burried, he PFD inflated!. Then the bow pulpit broke loose and he was being dragged in the water by the loose life lines. Luffed the boat up, swung him in and managed to set the spin without loosing too much ground.

Wind was flukey on Friday and Saturday, building in the PM. Race committe had trouble setting the line and there were several abandoned races and general recalls. Only managed two races on each of those days. Sunday was steady 10+ out of the SW and we got in 3 races. There were nearly 400 boats in many classes but my understanding is that attendance was down due to the economy. Particularly larger boats like J105's and 109's that sometimes trailer in from other parts of the country. But still had a blast.
1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 11 2009 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was on buzzard bay on sunday, on my way from newport to nantucket, i hugged the islands to woods hole and saw large fleets racing on the west side of the bay. weather was niced with some decent winds.

400 boats is pretty big!!!

we had spent the whole week on charter for the NYYC as committee boat for their 153rd annual cruise/regatta, bwettween newport, fishers sound and shelter. a little under 100 boatsm, as big as 93'... we had to deal with flaky winds too as well as morning fog.

http://www.sandbarhopper.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=31

and www.youtube.com/sandbarhopper

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  10:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pascal, I had heard NYYC had an event going on. Hope it was a good one.

As you were heading up the bay, we would have been the first bunch of boats you saw -yellow circle. We were all flying spins and racing just off of Cuttyhunk. There was also another fleet -red circle further up. In fairness to the "400" number, alot of those boats were lasers, laser radials, 29r's and 420's, not all keel boats.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: What knot to use in this case? Topic Next Topic: Ebon  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com