BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 Water supply for inboard shaft
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Twin Buoys - need contact info. Topic Next Topic: Its official!  

Time 2 Play

RO# 30860

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  15:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 97' 3075 Rouge and this past weekend the packing around the propellar shaft failed! I bought this boat a few months ago so i don't know the history of it, but here is what I found. The water that is supplied to the dripless assembly had a blockage at the "oil cooler". For some reason silicon chaulk was used when it was put together, thus only allowing a small amount of water to pass through. Then this weekend I must have picked up some trash and finally blocked of the remaining water flow. Needless to say it toasted my packing and was leaking water like a sieve. I was able to get the boat out of the water and make repairs. Since I had the boat out I did check the other "oil cooler" and found the same thing. I looks like the chaulk was used instead of teflon tape on the threads, don't know if the previous owner had done this and I would hope Cruisers didn't. Anyone else come across this?

Homeport: Seabrook, Texas

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  21:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There shouldn't be any packing in a dripless shaft seal system. Something doesn't make sense here.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  07:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gregory, something amiss

If their PPS/PYI brand you might want to look here:
http://www.shaftseal.com/about/installation_instructions

If their tides marine brand look here:
http://www.tidesmarine.com/kbindex.php

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Time 2 Play

RO# 30860

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses guys. I am sure you are correct that they are not dripless units, I am guessing that these are the original to the boat. When I called Cruisers to confirm what packing to use, I was advised to use 1/4". I will be changing both of them for true dripless seals this coming winter. It's just to difficult to work on these and really need something that is easier to maintain. What that, what would you guys suggest? I am not up to speed on the quality of shaft seals. Thanks again!

Homeport: Seabrook, Texas Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  08:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd stay away from dripless. I would have your shafts re-packed with GFO packing and nothing else. It's pretty much dripless and doesn't require adjustment very often.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Twin Buoys - need contact info. Topic Next Topic: Its official!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com