BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 156 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Formula Owners
 41 PC questions
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Formula 27 PC light bulbs Topic Next Topic: 27 PC batteries  

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 10 2009 :  15:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am currently considering this boat circa 2000 and would like to hear from current or former owners. I would be looking at one with diesels but welcome any comments. I like the quality and seaworthy reputation of Formulas but want to confirm that.

In no particular order I am interested in any info on fit/finish, ride in seas, accomodations, engine/mechanical access, known problems and anything else you might want to throw in.

There seem to be a number of these boats available which leads me to believe they were pretty popular.
1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI

GSENT

RO# 12438

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  07:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 41 pc is a very popular boat. Diesels are definitely the way to go. Mannmade has one, and he is the moderator of this forum, so I'm sure he will chime in. Fit and finish are second to none.

GARY STALEY

Homeport: PGH, PA Go to Top of Page

TIMEOUT90

RO# 19919

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  19:05:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 41PC is a 1997 and a close friend just bought a '98. Other than some cosmetics and decor they were unchanged through 2003. The fit and finish is supurb, and you will find that most if not all of the hardware is top-notch. Although this boat only displaces about 18k , the relatively steep deadrise (18 deg.) makes this boat cut through the chop. There is no "shudder" when encountering a large wake or a stiff chop. I'm not running offshore, and I do have gassers instead of diesels, but power really isn't an issue. Top speed would be about 30kts., but the best cruise for me is around 21kts. I think the Cummins run about a 25kt. cruise with a 36kt. top end. No known problems or mfg. defects. I have never heard of bad stringers or blistering issues with this model.

The engine access is supurb with the main hatch open, but you can easily access all the strainers and check all the fluids easily through the day hatch. The shower sump pump can be difficult to access, as well as the back side of the genny, although the front of the genny is very accessible.

The large cockpit, generous sized dinette and overall Formula quality (our 3rd) sold me on this boat. I am not dissapointed at all in any aspect of this boat, and after 12 years it is still a head turner. Good luck, and I hope this info was helpful!

-Dana

Formula 41PC

Homeport: Hudson, WI Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  19:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm liking this boat more and more. I even dug up the brochure from the formula website. Good stuff. Seems to be very well built. I just need to find a clean and cheap one with cummins. I have a line on one w/ diesels. But based on the fuel burn info I got in another post, I'm thinking the cummins are the way to go...

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

PhilipLankford

RO# 12806

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  08:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to help Formula sell at shows, etc in the Northeast. The 41PC is still my favorite model in the line. So well laid out and built like a tank!

Tough to go wrong with it.

Phil Lankford
Chris Craft 328
Luna Sea

Homeport: Philadelphia Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oliver
I know you were looking at a 1999 41PC, & cheaper is better, but what is your budget?

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:47:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abalmuth

Oliver
I know you were looking at a 1999 41PC, & cheaper is better, but what is your budget?

Abalmuth,

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it. As for budget, part of the deal is I have to get rid of my boat. So I'm biased towards someone taking mine in trade plus cash. I have found a couple of willing candidates. All in, I'm probably looking at boats that SELL for around 100-110k. (My boat plus 70-80k max) So I've been looking at boats listed between 120k and 150k. The 1999's seem to fall in that range and the 2000's seem to be higher. One thing I noticed is the older 41pcs, pre 1999 have white cabinets. The 1999's and higher went to maple or cherry. Seems to give the boat a much more contemporary look.

As to your question in another post, space is important as I have four kids plus my wife. My oldest is 10. As they are growing, the accomodations are becomming very cramped for sleeping. Also, it's becomming difficult to bring a sufficient amount of supplies (cloathing and food) for the longer cruises we like to do. At least once a summer we've gone away on 8-9 night cruises. We would even like to do longer but after that many nights, I'm ready to run screaming from the boat. Just too small.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oliver
You know how much I love the 41PC, but with your size family you may want to look at Ďbiggerí 40+ expresses.

The Late 90ís Trojan 44 express is a killer boat, built very well and a monster size express- for 6 people the 2 heads will be a godsend. There are a lot of happy owners of this boat on Boatered.

Also look at the Cruisers 4270 Express, again a 2 head boat with great room. Check out late the 90ís Searays 45 Sundancer- as long as the hull surveys well- also a 2 head boat

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  10:39:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abalmuth

Oliver
You know how much I love the 41PC, but with your size family you may want to look at Ďbiggerí 40+ expresses.

The Late 90ís Trojan 44 express is a killer boat, built very well and a monster size express- for 6 people the 2 heads will be a godsend. There are a lot of happy owners of this boat on Boatered.

Also look at the Cruisers 4270 Express, again a 2 head boat with great room. Check out late the 90ís Searays 45 Sundancer- as long as the hull surveys well- also a 2 head boat

I have looked at all of those boats (on yachtworld at least). I also have some slip limitations. 40-42 feet is the max. I think the Trojan would be too big although I do like it. I have followed the many Trojan related posts of late. Not a SeaRay fan. The circa 2000 40 dancer is okay and there are a ton of them for sale. Don't really like the Cruisers due to the cored hull but still a nice boat. Neither the SeaRay or Cruisers appeal to me from the "rugged ride" standpoint.

The two head thing is really not a big deal to me. In fact, would rather have less to deal with/maintain. I know the 41pc is not the roomiest in it's size but I like the rugged construction and the rep for ride. And compared to my boat it would probably seem like the queen mary!

Another candidate is a Tiara 4000 express. Another "built like a tank" boat. My price range would be the early ones 94' to 96' if I could get a deal. Just fewer available and mostly in FL.

Thanks for the input..

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Waterhog

RO# 31873

Posted - May 27 2010 :  13:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
41 PC questions: I seen one with an integrated hoist build-into the transom was this factory option? Also what is the different between a standard Cummins and a diamond series?

Homeport: Pa Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - May 27 2010 :  14:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waterhog

41 PC questions: I seen one with an integrated hoist build-into the transom was this factory option? Also what is the different between a standard Cummins and a diamond series?

Yes, it was a Factory option- I had it on my 41PC- If you get one of those I have the SS sling to hoist a jet ski if you need
I believe all Cummins powered 41PCís had the Diamond series 450Cís

Maxwell

RO# 31042

Posted - May 27 2010 :  14:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hydraulic swim platform pwc lift was/is a factory option.

Homeport: Milwaukee, WI Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - May 27 2010 :  14:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maxwell

The hydraulic swim platform pwc lift was/is a factory option.

I believe the poster is asking about the davit hoist built into the transom of 1996-2003 41pc's. I know later models had a hydraulic swim platform option but I don't believe the above model did.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Waterhog

RO# 31873

Posted - May 27 2010 :  14:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abalmuth, you answered my hoist question and thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. BTW, how was the ease of operation?

So all Cummins powered 41 PCs have the Diamond Series?

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - May 27 2010 :  15:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Waterhog

Abalmuth, you answered my hoist question and thanks for the offer, I'll let you know. BTW, how was the ease of operation?

So all Cummins powered 41 PCs have the Diamond Series?

Here is the hoist on the 41PC- worked well as long as the seals were not leaking:

Re: 41PC & Cummins Diamon- yes
some of the early units without the Bosch pumps were rated at 420 & 430HP- the units with the Bosch pumps were rated at 450hp

Waterhog

RO# 31873

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pic.
At first sight it looks like the pivot point is too wide. Iím thinking you had to increase the height of the hoist to move the pivot point closer to center. Correct?

Previous Topic: Formula 27 PC light bulbs Topic Next Topic: 27 PC batteries  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com