boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 16 | Guests: 141 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: neovox ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Marine Detailing & Fabrication
 teak and holly flooring
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cleaning Seamark Sunbrella Topic Next Topic: Compounding ...by hand  

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  16:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if this has been discussed recently, I have'nt had access lately. I am looking to replace the carpet in the cabin of my Chriscraft. I love the look of teak and holly. I have heard of plywood, individual pieces, etc...Whats the best product and where can I find it. Thanks

Homeport: Florida

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  17:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed Amtico Teak and Holly flooring in my galley and 2 heads. Outstanding product. Not a wood product. Vinyl, looks like wood, very much so. Hard as nails.

Viking, Hatteras, Betram, Ocean, yacht builders all use it.

Amitco's website isn't the greatest. I'll see if I can post a pic of the work later tonight or tomorrow.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  17:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pic would be great. Did you install it yourself? Is it a roll of laminate or plywood? Where did you buy it and price per sq. ft.? Thanks

Homeport: Florida Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  21:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the galley before the trim around the lazarette hatch is installed and the excess glue cleaned up.

The flooring is in 3' strips. Teak is 3" wide and the holly I think is 1/8"? Come pre cut with beveled edges. Pretty east to install, I did it with one other person helping. Took more time to strip the old tile and prep the existing fiberglass sub-floor than it did to lay it out. One day total You can always pull up and remove any strips down the road if needed. I used tin snips to cut the stuff, not easy to cut with utility knife.

I bought it direct from Ocean Yachts, they knew exactly how much I would need plus they were trying to unload excess inventory they had on hand. Not too many layups this year for them, 3 or 4 I think total. I paid $6 sq ft. teak and holly combined.

- Yogi Berra

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  08:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the same sort of product as the Amtico. It is similar if not identical. I got mine through NuTeak. If I had to do it over again I would choose the same. Looks real, and easily maintained. Prep was the longest part of the job. I didn't have many square edges where I laid it, mostly off angles and curves, so pre-cutting everything was a difficult process.

Shel

Winter pays for Summer.

Homeport: Rideau River, ON Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  09:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the real wood stuff on my boat.
Looks great, easy to clean, but will scratch or dent if not careful.
Came installed from factory.
If I look at the edge, the product is very thin.
It is actually cherry and holly I think.
No edging around the hatches, they cut it to a perfect edge and looks great.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The real wood floors always look the best to me, but like you said, they can scratch and dent, Amtico is virtually bulletproof.

Real wood is also much more slippery than the Amtico flooring.

- Yogi Berra

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  13:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the slippery factor.
I don't notice it to be slippery at all.
I would think the vinyl would be more slippery because spilled water lays on top where with wood some will start to soak in after a while. I keep 2 towels on those steps to grab dirt and water.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  13:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!! You guys are talented. I called nuteak but they are 10 bucks a foot, which judging by the pics is worth it. I will try ocean yachts first. Amtico dealer here in town as well. Thanks everyone for their help. I want that new floor more than ever now. lol

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  14:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The flooring has a slight grain to it and the holly strips are a tiny bit thinner so they are a recessed from the teak, giving you excellent traction.

- Yogi Berra

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  11:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to the amtico dealer today. Could'nt find a number for Ocean Yachts on their website.

VTBoater

RO# 30718

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also getting ready to order some flooring, and leaning towards the board plank product from nuteak. It's hard to get my head around the idea of pure vinyl. Is the above picture a pure roll of vinyl, or is it vinyl glued down to plywood? Under your feet does it feel like wood, or like a home kitchen vinyl?
Certainly installation is more difficult with a board type flooring I'm assuming.

1988 Silverton 37 MY

Homeport: Colchester, VT Go to Top of Page

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  13:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does not come in a roll, it comes in planks. It is too thick to roll. This is not your kitchen type vinyl. It is rigid and has 3 layers too it. You glue it directly to your plywood floor. It does not feel like vinyl under your feet. Personally, I cannot feel any difference from a real wood floor. Here are some pics of a sample I have.

Winter pays for Summer.

VTBoater

RO# 30718

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  14:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like nice stuff. That is from Nuteak? You cut it with tin snips? Did you pay 10 dollars a square foot for it?
Thanks for your help. I like the look of the Cherry with Holly, hopefully that is available in this material.
James

1988 Silverton 37 MY

aholst1

RO# 20936

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  14:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robyn's Nest is correct with the wear of the Amtico product, one of my clients installed it at the Univ of TN Baseball Stadium in the players / coaches areas - it looks fantastic and after 1 year still looks new in a high traffic area.

Homeport: International Harbor Company, Friendsville, TN Go to Top of Page

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  14:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is from NuTeak. I think they call it Sea Floor or something. Prices here in Canada are different than in the US, but I got this for about $10 CAN, boat show price. We cut straight edges with a Mitre Saw with a thin blade. We cut curves with tin snips, but that takes some practice, you may ruin a few planks with the snips before you get the hang of it. We were torn between the American Cherry and the Teak. The American Cherry seemed to look like a better match for the other teak in the boat, but more orange. We are glad we finally went with the teak and not the cherry, I think it would have been too orange. Either or would be nice Im sure.

Winter pays for Summer.

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  13:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the nu-Teak fit together tongue-in-groove like conventional flooring?

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  14:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, as you can see from the sample in the pictures above, there is no tongue-in-groove. I actually think this is not a design flaw or a drawback, as you glue this to the floor and if you couldn't just lay the next board close the the previous glued board glue would be squeezed up between the boards when the next piece slides into the groove making a potential mess.

Does the Amtico have tongue-in-groove? I seen a video of the Amtico stuff being laid and it seemed to go down the same as the Nu-Teak, no t-n-g.

Winter pays for Summer.

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  15:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shel,

Looking at your pictures and the pics on the Nuteak site I would say that it is the Amtico product they are selling or an exact knock off.

Fastguy,

One of the great features of not having tongue and groove is that you can pull up a plank down the road replace with ease if needed. Not so easy with T-N-G.

The flooring is exceptional.

- Yogi Berra

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  15:08:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it is the exact same product. They must be just selling the product under Nu-Teak. I have even seen some Nu-Teak marketing material that says the product is used on Viking, Hatteras, Bertram, & Ocean as you have stated above about Amtico. Must be the same stuff.

Winter pays for Summer.

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  15:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep.

Here is a web page from their parent company listing Amtico as a supplier.

http://www.leearmstrongcompany.com/id72.html

- Yogi Berra

Edited by - Robyns Nest on Sep 22 2009 15:37:14

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  15:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the weight compared to carpet. Could it be installed in the cockpit or platform or is it not UV resistant?

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Shel

RO# 13987

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  17:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it is UV Resistant. It is not recommended for outside. There are other products in the NuTeak line for that, similar to Flexiteak.

Winter pays for Summer.

fastguy91

RO# 14921

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  11:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got my samples from NuTeak. Along with the C-floor(indoor) material they sent samples and brochures showing their outdoor flooring. Looks like nice stuff. I have a local amtico dealer and he is waiting on prices from the rep. I do believe it is the same product as NuTeak for less $$. The dealer thought it would be $7 bucks a foot.

VTBoater

RO# 30718

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  20:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know if a local Amtico guy can get this stuff for less money. I have some samples on the way from Nuteak also. They said 11 bucks a square foot with shipping.
They were pushing the flexible stuff pretty hard over the phone, they must make more money on it, it is 24 a foot, plus an additional 18 if you want them to precut it from a template.

1988 Silverton 37 MY

Previous Topic: Cleaning Seamark Sunbrella Topic Next Topic: Compounding ...by hand  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.83 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com