BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 Silverton 351
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Wanted:  Silverton 351 C  1997-2000  

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  09:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone. I am once again looking for a boat. I looked at the 351 convertible / sedan. It is a 2001 with the crusaders. I guess my question is does anyone on here have one? Do you have any feedback? I have never been out on one so I am not sure how she would handle in rough water. I have a Cruiser style now (2800 SCR) but am looking to move up in size and comfort. Oh and in rough water anything over 2' chop on the river beats you to death and you end up with a free shower on the way.

Homeport: Welcome MD

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  18:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our last boat was a 1999 Silverton 351 with the big block Crusaders. Great boat, very comfortable. The wife has a bad arm and the access to the bow from the bridge was a bonus for her. The worst water we ever had her in was a really nasty 5-7' chop coming up the Delaware bay from Cape May. It was bad enough that we were taking a lot of water in the face up on the bridge but she handled well and we never felt insecure. Most of the regular Bay chop will be no issue at all. Wind can affect her but that's what you get with all that sail area. The interior is a great layout for a couple or even two. Lots of room to work in the engine bay but access to the fuel filter on the stbrd engine is a chore for a big guy. The only downside is that she'll win no speed races; normal cruise was about 16-18 knts.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 26 2009 :  19:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

I went to take a close look today. Boat is on the eastern shore. I am not sure what is with the guy there but after while I got tired of waiting an walked away in disgust. The boat was home ported in Gambrills from looking at the transom. There is a SOC decal on the window.

Oh and Thanks Mike!

Edited by - jacko on Sep 26 2009 19:51:50

Homeport: Welcome MD Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  08:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

Is it at a broker or private sale? Weird that a seller would stand-up a potential buyer in this market. Well, let me know if you persue further and have anymore questions.

Oh, BTW, if you do pursue it take a good look at the rudder packings. Silverton used a unique design for some of them (like our 1999) and you had to get the replacements direct from Silverton. Not a big deal (I think it was under $100 for both sets when I bought them) but if they do need replacement it needs to be done when the boat is hauled so it's something you should negotiate to have the seller do or give you appropriate credit for.... if you get that far with the purchase.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  09:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike it is with a broker in Grasionsville. He was on site when I showed up. I had called him before I drove the hour plus to get there and he said you need wait a minute. He had someone from the Marina in his office telling stories. I am ok with waiting so I went outside of his window and after 45 minutes I said enough. I am going to look deeper into this boat. It has a nice interior package in it. (Cherry) I think the center bed is a little small but it is the same size as we have now. And yes you would think that if you had a buyer that wanted to look more at a boat that you would be all over it. I am a sales guy and anytime I have a chance to show my product I am all over it. Because that is where sales come from. Oh and thank you for the tip about the rudder packing's.

Edited by - jacko on Sep 27 2009 09:21:38

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  20:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko..
Let me guess, IYB???

Mike

bradt

RO# 31225

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  09:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to know who the broker was......Also know of a guy on the Magothy that is also selling his 351 (immaculate). If you don't have any luck with the one you are dealiong with, let me know and I will give you his name/#

SlapShot
Carver 444 CPMY
Annapolis, MD

Homeport: md Go to Top of Page

Bob1021

RO# 29980

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  14:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

We have a 351 right now that's for sale. We have someone that seems interested right now but who knows what will happen. The boat handles pretty well out in some rough waters. The worst we were out in was probably around 8 foot chop. It handled well but wouldn't want to be out there in that for a really long time or be out in anything worse than that. The only time we ever get spray up on the bridge is if the wind is at just the right angle to blow the splash from the waves up to the helm. It has been a great boat all around, we're just looking for something with two staterooms now. If you have any questions about the 351 I can try and answer them for you.

Bob

Homeport: Brick, NJ Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  18:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeeH

Jacko..
Let me guess, IYB???

Mike it was not IYB but the guy across the waterway from him. IYB has one up for sale too. I also saw one and not10 too. This is a brokered sale and they do take trades. This is going to be a key as I do not want 2 power boats that have a note on them.

Brad, thanks I might want to look into that. I will wait for now unless he is willing to take a nice, smaller trade.

And Bob. Who are you with? Give me more details.
I am not sure if my email shows up but I can provide it for more details.

The boat has almost everything I have as a MUST have. The only thing missing is an Ice maker, and radar.

Dusty Rhoads

RO# 10868

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  19:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this across, as in Mears, I am very familiar with the boat and owner. We actually cruised with them to Cape May, and it is a very well cared for boat.

Dusty "Moon River"

Homeport: Annapolis, MD Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  19:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty Rhoads

If this across, as in Mears, I am very familiar with the boat and owner. We actually cruised with them to Cape May, and it is a very well cared for boat.

That would be the one. My wife gave me the nod to look more. That was my desire and intent last Saturday. Ok so if you know the boat and the owner why did they replace the couch with a black one? That has me scratching my head. How was the trip to Cape May? That sounds like a nice trip.

Dusty Rhoads

RO# 10868

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  03:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll ask about that couch, and the trip was great. We met about mid Chesap. and ran to Summitt North for an overnite, and the to CM the following day. Don't know if I still have some pics. of them following us up the C&D canal, but will look. No running problems for either, but I think I gradually ran away from him down the Del. We cruise at 22 and it was a little choppy, but they weren't far behind. They were a professional couple, and he is a stickler for how his "stuff" looks and performs.

Dusty "Moon River"

Homeport: Annapolis, MD Go to Top of Page

bradt

RO# 31225

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  07:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

I just took a look at the pics on Mears web site and this IS the same boat. Didn't know he had listed it with Mears. As Dusty says, he is very particular about his boat. We were both at Ventnor Marina up until a couple of years ago.

Brad

SlapShot
Carver 444 CPMY
Annapolis, MD

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  08:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad, - would like to talk to the owner. I do have questions that I am sure only he would be able to tell me.

bradt

RO# 31225

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  10:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko, If I can make a recommendation, I would call Mike Sweeney at Mears (great guy, very professional) and tell him you would like to talk to the seller and I am sure he would readily arrange it. There must have been something other than just small talk going on and making you wait 45 minutes because I have dealt with Mike and Bruce at Mears in the past and they are very professional and class A guys, a real no pressure atmosphere and well known and respected in the area. You can't go wrong with them or the boat.

SlapShot
Carver 444 CPMY
Annapolis, MD

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  11:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko, check your e-mail. I sent you the owner's phone number. Greg

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  11:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Greg, I will check my mail. And call him today.

Bob1021

RO# 29980

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  15:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

Sorry for getting back to you kind of late. The boat is listed with Blue Water Yacht Sales in Brick, NJ. I'm not sure if you wanted to travel that far for a boat but you can take a look at it online. It's a 1998 with the 7.4 Crusaders. It has a Furuno Radar but no ice maker. All the specs should be on the listing but if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you can't find it let me know and I can send you the link.

Bob

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  17:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad thanks for the info this answers a few questions because I was sure wondering. Mike seems like a nice guy and I was wondering WTH. I spoke with the owner today as stated he is a really nice guy and talked and talked. Wow it sounds like he is a lot like me. To the point he owned the same boat that I have now before he bought this one and nether are deal breakers. One thing I need to look at is the chip for the GPS he was not sure how much it covered.

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  17:20:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, this is a long way to go. I mapped it and I figure it would be about 400 miles by water for me. While I would like that my wife might nix a 400 mile shake down trip! :)

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 29 2009 :  20:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for it Jacko, plenty of crew around here up for a 400 mile trip.

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  06:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

RE: NJ to MD. Been there, done that (actually, NY to the Chesapeake). Its an easy trip and actually fun.

Mike

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  18:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike was that all ICW?

Sounds like a great trip to make. A couple of friends are on the ICW heading to Florida to winter his boat. I would like to be making that trip too.

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  18:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, outside all the way from the inlet on the LI south shore to Cape May. After that is was the Delaware Bay to the C&D and down through the Chesapeake Bay. We did have a long layover in Brielle due to a tranny failure. Figure a 3-day "no rush" trip from North Jersey.

Mike

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  16:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Equipment failure always sucks!

I have never been out in the open ocean as a captain. Would be wiling to try but would want an experience 1st mate the first couple of times.

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Say when!!!

Mike

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  18:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,
Look at a 2004 34c before you pull the trigger, much bigger and faster boat, they are giving them away. Not sure what you budget is, but I think 165k would be the price on a standard model. Cruise on 2004 34c is 21knots, WOT is 25 to 29 Knots. Beam is much larger 13'10" and the length is biiger 37' at the water line and LOA of 40.6.

The 351 is a nice boat, don't get me wrong, but the 34c now called the 36c, will offer you more in space, speed, comfort and performance.

Check it out

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  13:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter I will look at the 34c. It is more then I want to fork over, but so was the current boat I have.

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  20:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I went back and spent a couple of hours looking at the details. I think I left little unturned. This is a nice boat and I could see myself setting at the helm.

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  19:42:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is this bazaar or is it just me?
The boat I am looking at was priced at $99K asking ( was working on arranging my finances ) today they up the price to $129K. WTF are they thinking. I guess I might be looking at another one I have been looking at for a little less and a year older.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  21:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WTF?

bradt

RO# 31225

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  08:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jacko,

Are you referring to another boat other than the 351 at Mears? Was there this weekend and the 351 still has a $99k asking price on it. Also sales people say it is $99k asking price.

Brad

SlapShot
Carver 444 CPMY
Annapolis, MD

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  20:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is the one, I found out that they were trying to get someone financed that did not have a down and was upside down. So they cranked the price so when the bank looked at it the numbers were higher then what the asking is.

bradt

RO# 31225

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  07:07:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, the tricks of the boat selling trade!

SlapShot
Carver 444 CPMY
Annapolis, MD

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  19:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes where everything is as clear as mud.

Tigress

RO# 16784

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  12:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, or any one else selling a 351
We are looking for a 351. If your boat is still for sale please let me know how to contact you...I am not a subscriber and I cant send or receive emails or pm's here.
Thank you
George & Lisa

Edited by - Tigress on Nov 09 2009 12:35:57

Homeport: NJ Go to Top of Page

Bob1021

RO# 29980

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  13:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George and Lisa,
I'm sorry but our 351 was just sold, if the deal doesn't work out for some reason I'll post on here to let you know.
Bob

Tigress

RO# 16784

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  18:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK thank you

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  20:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a 352? Know of one for sale here, a 2000 model, low hours.

Tigress

RO# 16784

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  22:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks but we are looking for the 351. the 352 is the motor yacht style, we like the cockpit open for sunning and things like that..Thanks for keeping eye out! We appreciate it!

bmamalis

RO# 34006

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  07:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is a super old thread, but I believe I just bought this boat! Still the same owner from when the thread was started. And still in immaculate condition.

Fair winds all!
Brad

Bradford J Mamalis

Homeport: MD Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 28 2017 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, congratulations!!

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Jul 05 2018 :  23:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just sold my 351 #128577;

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

Homeport: Open Bay Marina, Merrick NY Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Wanted:  Silverton 351 C  1997-2000  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page