boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 16 | Guests: 164 ]  [ Total: 180 ]  [ Newest Member: Bqsatmdv ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Atlantic Trawlers info
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: All the winners were out this weekend. Topic Next Topic: Oswego to NYC for the 4th of July 2010...  

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  13:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We dont want to leave our dock, largest boat you can put in is 37'
Have another kid on the way and looking for more space. Currently have a 34' convertible and love it, we cruise only and its ussualy an hour or two trip to an anchorage.
Came across this boat and really like it (from the pictures) cant find more than about 4 for sale anywhere, appears to be from the UK.

Any info on them?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?access=Public¤cy=USD&listing_id=2225&units=Feet&checked_boats=2088542&boat_id=2088542

Edited by - Britanic on Oct 23 2009 14:00:47

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ

fissioneng

RO# 31622

Posted - Oct 23 2009 :  14:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Atlantics were built in Florida I think and many used Jack Hargrave designs. I think they went out of business in 1992. That particular one you sent the link for was also known as a Prairie Coastal Cruiser(Atlantic bought out Prairie). Atlantic sold these from 1982-1992. IMO, they are of medium to high build quality.

For this one, I would be wary of the 8.2 Detroits. Not one of the best engines out there.

I have seen more of their 44s.

1986 Hatteras 43 MY
CAT 3208T

Edited by - fissioneng on Oct 23 2009 14:43:18

Homeport: Rappahannock River, Virginia Go to Top of Page

Butch Davis

RO# 20106

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  11:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Prairie Trawlers I've seen in the 32 and 36 foot ranges were very, repeat, very beamy. That provided for a lot of living space in a shorter boat which is good. OTOH, ensure the boat in which you're interested will fit into the slip available to you. I see the advertised beam is just under 14 feet for a LOA of 37 feet which probably includes the pulpit or the swim/boarding platform. LWL is 33 feet so the length to beam ratio is almost 2:1.

As to the engine, because this is a truly displacement hull the engine would be under stressed in just about any conditions.

The US built boats I saw were very nice.

Butch in Lower Alabama

Homeport: Spanish Fort, AL Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Oct 25 2009 :  21:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice boat. I have a friend with an 8.2 Detroit NA in a Mainship 34 MKIII they haven't had any problems with the motor just normal maintenance. The motor has 2500 hours on it and is a 1983. Looks like a real winner but you'll know more after you see it and get a survey.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  12:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Britanic

...Currently have a 34' convertible and love it, we cruise only and its ussualy an hour or two trip to an anchorage....

At 8 knots?

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

Flatsflyer

RO# 16388

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  18:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they where made in Palaka, Fl. I've been told the molds are sitting in St. Augustine, current owner was hoping to use them again until the economy went into the tank.

John Coffey

Homeport: Palm Coast, Fl. Go to Top of Page

Britanic

RO# 27562

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  19:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, found a couple more under the Prairie name, but there still does not seem to be many out there.
Yes Dave, the one drawback will be speed. Every boat is a trade off of some sort, we have looked at many aft cabin "motoryacht" style boats with gas engines in this size range and we much prefer a trawler style layout and lines. Maybe its just wishfill thinking but I actually think we would take more trips of further distance with this type of boat due to fuel economy. Would love to spend a couple weeks up the Chesapeake or a trip up the hudson and Marthas Vineyard. And since my name is Bob, might even shoot for Block Island :)

I am a bit spoiled with Silverton as I can get most any part for my boat locally. I am a do it yourselfer and really concerend with parts and such form the manufacture. Also trying to find out if hull is cored. I have emailed the broker but no responce yet, just a few questions before I head up to CT to see Her in person.

Homeport: Barnegat Bay, NJ Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  19:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
brit: there is no practical difference, at slow speeds, with fuel use between diesel boats sold as "trawlers" and ACMYs

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Oct 26 2009 19:49:08

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Butch Davis

RO# 20106

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  08:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

Mostly true. But gearing can be a lot different and affect economy. The Atlantic Trawlers are, I believe, designed for displacement speeds with a full keel and softer bilges. In any kind of snotty weather the Atlantic will almost certainly provide for a much more comfortable ride than a hard chine flatter bottom hull.

Tastes differ, of course, but an Atlantic Trawler would be a much better choice for me than any similarly sized motoryacht. I would certainly arrive later but I'd probably have burned less fuel and be much less tired.

Butch in Lower Alabama

Homeport: Spanish Fort, AL Go to Top of Page

ronlord

RO# 2010

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  09:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

brit: there is no practical difference, at slow speeds, with fuel use between diesel boats sold as "trawlers" and ACMYs

Bruce very true if you are comparing twin engine trawlers with similar size engines to the ACMY. When you get into single engine trawlers, it is a different ball game.

Edited by - ronlord on Oct 27 2009 09:29:55

Homeport: Buffalo, NY Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Oct 27 2009 :  10:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a friend who had the 390 Mainship and got 5 gph at 10 mph with the single Caterpillar. He passed away after owning it for 2 years.
Ironically, he and some other friends who live on a 44 Atlantic went from SW La. to the Kentucky Lakes area and back. They said it was
beautiful. The 44 Atlantic has twin Cat. 3208's. They live on it and love it. It is a pretty big boat for a 44. High sides and pretty
heavy.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: All the winners were out this weekend. Topic Next Topic: Oswego to NYC for the 4th of July 2010...  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com