BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: Capt.Stan ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 how to measure shaft packing size
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: RG6 Switch  box?  Multiple satellite antennas Topic Next Topic: A Tight Squeeze  

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  15:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, here is a really basic one. I want to install gore packing on my shafts. I've replaced packing countless times. Usually, I take the old packing to the store, physically match it to the nearest size and buy a bunch of that. I don't pay attention to measurements or what it says on the package.

Once upon a time, I actually took out a ruler to confirm the measurements when in a store. I don't recall the story, but it went something along the lines that the physical measurement of the packing can be different than the stated size. The net of the conversation was to be careful about stated packing sizes. I got what I needed and left and since forgot any further details.

So today....I have some old packing. I measure it. It averages more than 1/4 and a little less than 3/8. Lets call the physical measurement 5/16, but of course one side is a little larger than the other because its old used packing. Do I have 5/16 then? Or does the old story I recall have some bearing?

I have not had time to take it down to the store, match it up and then leave without buying anything...

I'm also aware and have recommended countless times that depending upon your gland, you can actually buy packing a little large and flatten it a little. But....I generally only do that when I have a reason and with flax packing, its so cheap you can buy a couple different sizes and use what you need. With the gore...I want to buy it once and be done!

So...any of this make sense to anyone? Are there actually any peculiarities in how packing is sized and measured?

I have 2" shafts and don't recall the maker of the gland.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  15:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use a drill bit to measure the space.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

dkjbama

RO# 25654

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  16:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Inside diameter of shaft log - shaft size)/2; or use Bill's idea and measure with a drill bit.

DKJ in Alabama

"People do weird things to boats" - Unknown

Homeport: Wilson Lake, Tenn. R.at Florence, AL Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  17:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Capt. Bill said, I for one think that's worth a twenty. Get the store that sells the Gore packing to send/lend you a small sample to check the fit. I have a 2" shaft and just converted to Gore packing and used 5/16".

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

rbmitchell

RO# 3641

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  17:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You adjust the size, somewhat, anyway. If the packing is too big, you squash it a bit so that it will fit into the housing. If the packing is too small, then tightening the housing screws wads the packing up so that it stops the leak. You just don't want to do the adjusting any more than necessary.

"The solution to this problem, when found, will be obvious."

Homeport: Beach Haven NJ&KeyWest FL Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  17:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto the drill bit. It so simple that nobody thinks of it!

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  18:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: drill bit measurement: be sure shaft is centered or readings w/b different around diameter of shaft. Even if off somewhat; shouldn't be off enuff to take you to next diameter of packing.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  20:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Brett , bet ya a beer your 5/16 with a 2 inch shaft.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  00:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are right. I should just measure the gland and forget measuring the packing.

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

hooks

RO# 13083

Posted - Oct 31 2009 :  09:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use at least 2 drill bits(the same size) to be sure you maintain concentricity with the shaft... 180 degrees apart.

Regards, Jim

Edited by - hooks on Oct 31 2009 09:12:19

Homeport: Deforest,Wisconsin..La Crosse, Wisconsin Go to Top of Page

jmas

RO# 4313

Posted - Nov 02 2009 :  20:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you determine the correct size, write it down in your maintenance log, or somewhere.
wish I had done that.

Joe M.
Luhrs 340 Express Fish

Homeport: Pompano Fla. Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmas

Once you determine the correct size, write it down in your maintenance log, or somewhere.
wish I had done that.

gosh, just go and add insult to injury here

maybe I should write it down in my maintenance log right next to where the hours of the last oil change should have been written down

Jeez, I'm getting complacent...I think I sense a "I learned from that" story coming up soon

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

rblochli

RO# 644

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  18:56:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or look here http://www.buckalgonquin.com/pages/ProductPages/drivetrain/PB_standard_spud_page.html

Bob
PartyTime

Homeport: Forked River, NJ Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 03 2009 :  19:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, that table won't work for all. My shafts are 1 1/4" and the packing size is 3/16".

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: RG6 Switch  box?  Multiple satellite antennas Topic Next Topic: A Tight Squeeze  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.77 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     

boat-ed.com
Boatered.com