BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Voyager56 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Rigging...aargh!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: AMERICAS  CUP  WINNER Topic Next Topic: deleted  

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in Majuro, Republic of the Marshall Islands. The return trip from Aur and Maloelap atolls developed into a little nightmare. Cracks developed in the standing rigging, the toggles at the chain plates, and also one wire began to strand. I finished the trip by motor.
The rigging is typical multi-hull, a triangle fractional rigged, no back stay - - - just 3 wires holding the stick up. It's probably not sufficient for heavy cruising so I'm hoping to modify it with additional shrouds and maybe adding a bobstay. It would eliminate the "single point failure" which would occur now. If you have ever seen a dismasting you will understand this precaution.
Trying to order parts has been another fiasco. What has happened to customer service at all of the businesses in the USA? Lewmar, Xantrex, a whole list of rigging suppliers, none will reply to an email. I can't phone as the long distance is $1 a minute here (imagine sitting on hold for an hour), you have to wait for hours to use the 2 phones available, and you get one chance to get the contact number correct, or you have to wait in line again. Email is the only option and it seems no one can read anymore. Sorry about the rant but I feel better now. I think I'll go write somemore emails.
Yokwe from Majuro

Homeport: O'ahu

Meuritt

RO# 28535

Posted - Oct 30 2009 :  17:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://riggingonly.com/

dealing with them has been a pleasure, email answered quickly

that

rigging only dot com

Homeport: San Rafael, CA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: AMERICAS  CUP  WINNER Topic Next Topic: deleted  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic |