BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chaparral Owners
 Gauges
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 240 Sig performance Topic Next Topic: 240 Signature questions  

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  19:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2003 Signature 280. It came with Faria gauges that had a lifetime warranty.
Due to various different problems I sent them back to Faria.
They sent them back to me saying they were not theirs.
Does anyone have a similiar model that can check the maker of the gauges.
There are no markings to identify the manufacturer on the gauges. I believe they were custom made for Chaparral.
I am contacting Chap and my dealer.
Thanks

Homeport: merritt island

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  20:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely they are Teleflex. The vendor (M&G Electronics) for Chaparrals electrical harnesses dealt with Faria and Teleflex for the most part.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  21:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I will try looking up their website

Homeport: merritt island Go to Top of Page

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  19:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are v3. Not made anymore.Cannot be repaired.
This is the last chaparral I will ever own.
In my boats documentation it states I have faria gauges with lifetime warranties.
These gauges carried a 2 year warranty.
I do not see a fix here other than redesigning my dash board and installing indiviual gauges.
I would like to find a dual tach and put that right in the middle

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  07:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What style do you have? the big 4 in one gauges? All gauges are either 2 in or 4 in.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  21:12:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2 four in ones 4 inch. Voltage, engine temp,oil pressure, trim.
If I buy new faria gauges Chap will send me a harness that my wiring will plug into and then go to the new gauges.
I am getting a price on the new gauges. If they are reasonable, that is the way I will go.
If not, I will redesign the dash and install new gauges. I would like a dual tach though

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  06:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marine Salvage in Sarasota has those gauges in all kinds of styles. If intereseted I can get you their info.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  06:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great, Thanks

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  20:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Almost complete. I need to mount the gas gauge and depthfinder and I am done!

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  06:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had placed my Flo-Scan meter in the opening where the gas guage is instead of drilling a new hole.

Your re-do looks really good.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  20:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks
I am having another black panel made. Putting the plotter in the middle and moving the radio fron the bottom to where the plotter is now

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  06:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. I dont like the location of my radio either. Had to put in a remote speaker on the dash to hear it.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

khanson

RO# 24106

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  13:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Looks great! I have 2001 35 Sig with teleflex gauges and I'm getting ready to do a similar thing you did. I've also been very disappointed with trying to get other items through Chaparral only to find out stuff has been discontinued and no longer available.

Homeport: Lake Conroe, Texas Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  06:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many boat companies will go out and have custom made gauges made when boat sales are good and people will spend a little extra for a custom touch. When the markets slow down, they fall back to stock items. Builders wont stock up on spares and the OEM parts guy wont stock a bunch of custom items. So those that buy the custom items are left holding an un-replaceable item. It is the nature of the business. Boat Buyers are left holding the empty bag in this deal. I had a similiar thing with the lettering on my boat. One of the raised chrome letters got kncked off. Couldnt buy one letter and the style had been changed. so I had to buy two whole new sets to replace one letter.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  07:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 1990 Sig 30 in I think 2006 I redid the helm all new gauges switches and harness it still looks great today. Looks like you did a nice job enjoy. I'm currently redoing the dash panels on my Trojan but I'm not replacing anything everything is working fine I just want to freshen it up. This is a picture of me Sig 30 before I installed the GPS into the space on the right.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Mar 08 2010 07:13:28

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  22:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finished project. All gauges and plottter from boatfix

Edited by - jeffk on Mar 12 2010 22:29:54

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  07:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great what did you use as the backing ABS plastic? I didn't notice what did you do with the Fire-boy light I don't see it in the finished picture.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  10:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to mount the fireboy. I broke that little bulb. It will go on top of the fume detector which needs a new head.
The plastic is 3/8 inch thick. I did not back the top piece. I thought I would have to but it is very solid.
The middle piece is sitting on the original dash.
I painted it black so it would not shine through.I also painted the screws black. The stainless was a little overkill
The original bottom posts on it that were adapted to the new piece.
The fabricator in Cape Canaveral charged me $100 for the three pieces.
I was thinking of moving the gas and depth finder to the right and moving the radio up, but I am running out of room and it may look cluttered.
I hate the position of the radio, it is hard to see the channels.
After I live with it a while I will take the top and bottom panels off and paint them black on the undersides so scratches will not show so much.
I should have thought of that before installing.

chap290

RO# 15308

Posted - Apr 19 2010 :  16:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

I have a 2004 290 Sig and really like your new instrument panel. My faux wood grain is starting to peel up, so I may do similar project.

Just out of curiosity, what are the two large switches on right side of middle section for? Looks like they have QL on them.

Jim

Jim
2004 Chaparral 290 Signature

Homeport: Knoxville, TN Go to Top of Page

jeffk

RO# 2093

Posted - May 28 2010 :  15:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are nuetra salt switches...........sorry for the long time to respond

Previous Topic: 240 Sig performance Topic Next Topic: 240 Signature questions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com