BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 148 ]  [ Total: 152 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chaparral Owners
 In for service
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Summer cruises Topic Next Topic: Lewmar Series 900 windlass  

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  13:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally pulled the trigger and took my boat to a local dealer to have the drive serviced. I am having the bellows and lower shift cable replaced, the gimbal bearing inspected, the speedo tube repaired, the tilt and trim senders replaced and other general servicing.

Once it is all back up to speed, we will be working with a local prop shop to test the new 4 blade B-III props.

Hopefully this summer I will be able to use her more than I did last year even with the house construction going on...
Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  18:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowcruzr

Paul~

The outdrive maintenance needs to be done at some point - no matter who does it - yourself or a professional. Speaking of course to the choir......

Question - why are you going to a 4 blade prop? What did you have before?

I have a DuoProp -3 blade F3 stainless. Jumps up nice (Okay- could be better) - 5200-5400 WOT (Don't do that too often). Seems to work fine. About 5.5 GPH average.

Paul (Spike)

2002 Chaparral Signature 260
1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Homeport: CT River Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spike,
I havent done any maintenance to the gimabal area since I got the boat in 2000 so I figured it was time.

I am over-propped (24 pitch) and turtles have better holeshot... I want to get the right props now that I can afford them. I've read several reports about the new 4 blade front props and everything has been positive. So I figure if I'm buying a new set, get the latest stuff.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  06:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you believe the prop shop doesnt have the props I need for testing? They dont have any 4 blade sets and no 22 pitch sets of 3 blades. They offered to bend mine to gain some rpms. I declined. Anyone got a spare set of 22s laying around?

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  18:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great. Where did the info come from about the 4 blade....can you share? Would be very interested. Yours of course is a Merc.

End of season we had sort of a wobble in the outdrive. At least we think that's what it was. Experienced it between 1100-1300 r's, then went away at either side. Weird. We don't remember hitting anything.....but that is not what counts. Thinking about having the SS props checked...not cheap. Hmmm?

1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  06:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the info off the Chap owners site. I dont know if V-P has 4 blade props yet.

I just got the call late yesterday that all the work is done, but we didnt get to test any props. Will wait till summer for that.

They did a lot of work and got a lot of little nagging things fixed. I cant wait for summer.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

SPIKE

RO# 4024

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  17:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too - can't wait. You have a shorter wait.

We have a 1948 Chris Craft To Christen this yearl

1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  18:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spike, What drive train/prop pitch are you running in your boat?
I have the 5.7 MPI (300hp) with a 2.0/1 geared BIII with 24 pitch. I am only getting 4200 rpm. Very slow holeshot.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret

Previous Topic: Summer cruises Topic Next Topic: Lewmar Series 900 windlass  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com