BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 New to Cruisers Yachts (3580)
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Leakie Porthole Topic Next Topic: Removing Shaft coupling  

jcs707

RO# 17629

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  21:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am currently looking at a 98 3580 - always fresh water, always covered. Boat is on Lake Lanier (land locked) - Atlanta. Boat has extensive service and repair documentation and appears to have been very well maintained by a owner with deep pockets. Current owner is two boat owner - he just upgraded to a 55ft Navigator.

Since I'm new to Cruisers - my biggest concern is the hull. Is it solid or cored? Saw another post on the forum that seemed to suggest that it's cored.

/Clint

Homeport: Lake Lanier, GA

jcs707

RO# 17629

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  21:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw the posting: http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111471

I'm assuming nothing changed for the 98 product line or that they did anything different on the 3580. That's very disappointing - really like the boat.

/Clint

Homeport: Lake Lanier, GA Go to Top of Page

king5899

RO# 19628

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  23:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is cored. In fact a 2009 is still cored because they do it right. You shouldn't rule it out without an education, you may be missing a nice boat. A good surveyor can determine the state of the coring and from that point on it's how you take care of the boat determines the lifspan. If it is well taken care of there's a good chance it's fine, but get it checked out.

MJK

2003 Cruisers Yachts 3372
"Party of Five"

Homeport: Stony Point Bay Marina, NY - FKA "D" Dock Go to Top of Page

jcs707

RO# 17629

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  12:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding education, yep I totally agree. I think my concerns regarding cored or not cored are probably based a lot on what David Pascoe writes about on yachtsurvey.com. Specifically: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/cored_hull_bottoms.htm

However, if you spend too much time (as I probably have) trying to absorb all the information on that site - the average joe would be so discouraged that he would never own a boat. Granted, I think much of what he discusses is from a 'blue water boating' perspective ... and not necessarily from a lake boating perspective.

Regardless, it is hard to ignore what appears to be a rather reasonable and factual assessment of cored hulls.

My two prior large boats had aluminum hulls - so I'm probably over thinking things a bit.

/Clint

Homeport: Lake Lanier, GA Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  16:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 10 year old fully cored Cruisers and not a single issue. As stated they know how to build them. You will find that many High end builders fully core their hulls.

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

370 Motoryacht

RO# 31959

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  17:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main quiestion here is, would you buy a Viking? Most likely the answer is yes, and if so you would possibly be buying a boat with a fully cored hull.

I have never heard of an issue with a Cruisers cored hull and there are a lot of them in my area.

1994 Carver 370 Motor Yacht
Twin 350 H.P. 454 Crusader Engines

Homeport: MI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Leakie Porthole Topic Next Topic: Removing Shaft coupling  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com