boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: jimirwin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Trailer Emergency Brake Question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cruising Essentials? Topic Next Topic: WaterPack Dinghy- Updated Photos  

justgotaboat

RO# 31427

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  19:32:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another trailer related question. I work for a commercial dive company. We have a handful of trailers set up with all the necessary dive gear and tools to do most jobs. We typically park the trailers on site while we do the job. As we were hitching up to leave our last site, my superviser tested the emergency brakes on the work trailer by having one guy in the truck put it in drive and roll forward slowly. He then pulled the emergency brake cable to the trailer and popped the pin out. The truck came to a stop as it should since the trailer brakes engaged. He then plugged the pin back in and off we went with full confidence that the trailer brakes and emergency brake mechinism work. The trailer has an electric brake system and is a tandem axle cargo trailer that you see most contractors or lawn care guys with.

Question is.... On a trailer with surge brakes, can you test the emergency mechinism by giving a heave on the emergency brake cable? Or are the mechinisms on surge brake trailers a one time use kind of thing, where once you pull it and it engages, the brakes are on for good? It seems like the cables that run from the trailer emergency brakes to the truck are small enough that they are intended to snap after engaging the brakes and are not meant as a extra way of holding the trailer to the truck. And it is my understanding that these emergency brakes are meant to engage if the trailer becomes detached from the truck in an severe accident or malfuntion. I was just thinking that it would be nice to be able to test my emergency brake mechinism, but I certainly do not want to throw the brakes on perminantly while sitting in my driveway loaded and ready to hit the road for the weekend, or have to pay someone to figure out how to unlock the brakes. (and yes I did ask the superviser if he knew if this worked for other kinds of trailers with either surge or electric brakes, and smartly enough he said.... "I know it works for THIS trailer... ")

Homeport: nj

rbmitchell

RO# 3641

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  05:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The surge brakes emergency lever stays engaged after it is activated. You have to manually reset it. If you park the trailer on a slope, you can "set" the brake by pulling the cable. The cable on my trailers has a 480 pound test break (1/16 diameter galvanized) and would be expected to break after setting the brakes.

The electrical brake requires power to operate even in an emergency mode. Therefore, you have to have a battery on the trailer. I suppose you could use the brakes for parking but I have no idea how long the battery would last.

"The solution to this problem, when found, will be obvious."

Homeport: Beach Haven NJ&KeyWest FL Go to Top of Page

justgotaboat

RO# 31427

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  16:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you manually reset the brakes after the cable has been pulled?

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

rbmitchell

RO# 3641

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  05:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my LoadRite, the cable pulls a lever forward which latches in the forward position. You just have to push it back to the released position.

There is a label on it which says something about not moving the trailer in the locked position.

"The solution to this problem, when found, will be obvious."

Homeport: Beach Haven NJ&KeyWest FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Cruising Essentials? Topic Next Topic: WaterPack Dinghy- Updated Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.69 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com