boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: mark h bischoff ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Trim tabs leaking, just replace cylinders?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Exhaust hose exhausting Topic Next Topic: Mercruiser Black Paint ?  

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  11:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a silly question but here goes.
The boat is up on the hard for a few more weeks. As I was leaving her last weekend I noticed hydraulic fluid on top of both trim tabs leaking from the Bennett Cylinders. Without a lot of diagnostic time should I replace the cylinders?

Could it be that simple? The Boat is a 1989, 36" Commodore. These are the original cylinders. The boat is an hour from the house and I want to repair before it goes in the water.
Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  11:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, get a rebuild kit from Bennett fot the cylinders. I had the same problem a few years ago, called Bennett and they sent kits for both sides FOR FREE. Easy fix, follow the instructions exactly. Your first thought will be to remove the acuator hardware from the transom to remove the cylinders. Wrong. Follow the directions.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  12:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're on the right track. You can replace them, there might also be overhaul kits. Check BoatFix and/or Bennett. I don't know if the design has changed, but ours use a plastic cylinder with a pipe nipple that passes through the transom with an adapter on the inside to accept the plastic tubing from the pump. The end of the plastic tubing should have a ferrule on the outside AND a sleeve on the inside. Some places don't even know what those parts are. I found out and now forget the name of the product but I got it at Home Depot in their plumbing department, the Watts Brand section, 1/4" Nut and Ferrule with Insert. Nut and Ferrule alone will leak. That pipe nipple simply screws into the upper mount for the cylinder. Bennett can tell you how many turns and whether to use teflon tape or a sealant. One of ours was leaking into the boat and I thought it was at the tubing/ferrule joint, but it was the tubing adapter/pipe nipple joint. Dismantled and reassembled with teflon tape, but that joint was brass/brass. Not like the one at the cylinder mount that's plastic/brass. Be sure to seal all screw and pipe nipple holes against water getting into your transom.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/350CID/EFI/220HP
14-1/2*19 Stainless RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  12:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Greg is onto something. Call Bennett! If you don't have the original paperwork you may want to get some measurements like dimensions of tab and cylinder.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/350CID/EFI/220HP
14-1/2*19 Stainless RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 24 2010 :  12:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bennett is one great company. When they said they were sending the re-build kits for free, I told them that the tabs were over ten years old. They said still not a problem, no charge. Easy fix. I didn't have any of the original paper work either.

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  08:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. I will get the numbers this weekend when I head down to the boat.

Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

mabbott

RO# 4535

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  15:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/

Homeport: Pocasset Go to Top of Page

vic33004

RO# 27361

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  16:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bennet has one of the best customer service divisions i've ever worked with. call them first, they'll give you the best advice and are great when you need parts or service.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260

Homeport: Fort Lauderdale, FL Go to Top of Page

jtsmlarson

RO# 9256

Posted - Mar 26 2010 :  17:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed! Bennett is the best! Got the rebuild kit for free and followed the instructions. It was a bit messy, but was a piece of cake. I still feel like I should send them something for what they did for me!

1989 300 DA Twin 350's
1987 250 DA 454 Magnum - -Sold :-(
Duramaxed in Spokane, WA

Homeport: Northern Idaho Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 28 2010 :  13:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found the instructions that came with the kit. All you are doing here is replacing the "O" ring. follow the instructions.

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got an email from Bennett.

Replacement O-Rings on the way to my house after I inquired last evening.

Wow, Customer service second only to Boatfix.

Great job.
Thanks Bennett

Tom
41' President

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  07:49:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A series of unfortunate events ( Ex-wife lost them) has misplaced the repair kit from Bennett before I was able to replace them.
Marina owner wants to launch the boat today.

Question is, can the trim tab seals be replaced while the boat is in the water?? I am a diver so being in the water is not an issue. I am worryied about water intrusion and contamination of the hydraulic system. I will also call Bennett, but needed to get back to the Marina quickly.

Thanks.

Tom
41' President

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  09:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having done the repair, I'd say no way. You havew to manually extend the tab all the way and I don't think that would be possible in the water. Once you have the tab extended and the actuator off, you can replace the seals on land.

Edited by - Gregory S on Apr 26 2010 17:11:14

Tabman II

RO# 9314

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  14:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TJM,

My name is Josh and I work in the Client Services department and Bennett Marine.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you with the leak you were experiencing with your actuators. If you have misplaced your o-ring kit, we would be more than happy to ship you a replacement set free of charge. Please send us a PM with your shipping information and we will take care of the rest.

Unfortunately replacing the actuator o-rings while the vessel in the water is not a good idea due to water intrusion into the hydraulic system. This task is best completed when the vessel is out of the water.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Josh Berg
Account Manager - Bennett Trim Tabs
550 Jim Moran Boulevard
Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
E-Mail: jbergrb2rb2@gr5tgr5tbennetttrimtabs.com
Phone: (954)-427-1400

Edited by - Tabman II on Apr 26 2010 14:04:29

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Tanqueray

RO# 17091

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  14:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now THAT is what I call service.

KALENA II

Homeport: New York Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  17:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't get any better than that.

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  20:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Josh, you have a PM.

I would agree.

It doesn't get any better than that!!

Thanks, again.

Tom
41' President

spd

RO# 28934

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  19:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need to add my 2 cents ... I had a broken retaining clip on the end of one wire that is supposed to click into place at the hydraulic pump . . . Bennett send new one no charge and told me to call them back if I had a problem replacing the old one. Keep up the good work!!!!

Homeport: Deerfield Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Exhaust hose exhausting Topic Next Topic: Mercruiser Black Paint ?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.84 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com