BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 124 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Bayliner, Maxum, Meridian Owners
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2452 Topic Next Topic: Looking at purchasing Mavxum 4100SCA  

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  19:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any owners of a 2858? I've always liked the lines and seems like it would be the right boat for our new FL home in the shoals of the Indian R. with the I/O. I like the design of the '01+. Any thoughts on them?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  14:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will probably get booted, but go over to the Bayliner owners club forum. You will get a lot more response there.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Northern Lights

RO# 32024

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  20:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'am not familar with that model, but I've had 2 Bayliners a 2455 cruiser & a 3270 sedan bridge. We're buying a 3870, the drive train is the same as any other boat. Bayliner does a great job of utilizing space, the 3270 has a king size master berth, the only boat in this size to have that feature that I know of. I consider Bayliner to be the Chevrolet of boats, not a lot flash but they do the job they were designed for very well. And they do have classic lines.

Northern Lights
Bayliner 3870

Homeport: Kansas Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  21:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,
I too like the lines, and I did own the little girl, 2452 Ciera Classic.

I am going to paint a broad stroke here, but this is what I would expect based on my experience with the 2452 (2001).

Underpowered with stock power, but not to a point it would be a pig or a deal breaker, 90$ of the time the power is good.
Expect that you will need to clean up some poor detail work such as refastening doors and other things properly. Easy , fun and cheap work.

The integrity of the hull and most other aftermarket items on the boat are good. Personally, for the price, my boat and the one you are considering are great boats for the price.

Just My 2C

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

camman73

RO# 17493

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  22:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got an older 2859, 1994. No complaints. As Walter stated some detail work leaves a little to be desired, but for the money it's really hard to find a better value. Handles rough water well, nice layout, love the look.

I have the full hardtop as I do a lot of early and late season fishing in not so great weather. A lot will will be underpowered as they were packaged with the smallest engine available to make the price look even more attractive. If you get to that point make sure to sea trial with the fullest load that you could expect to have.

Keith
Lombard, IL

Homeport: Waukegan, IL Go to Top of Page

TurboWarp

RO# 27630

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  04:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have top heaviness problems? My friend has a 32xx sedan bridge. Its fun but alomst scary in a turn. Too narrow a beam is my thought. We have had plenty of fun on it though.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  13:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. I knew a guy who had the old 2858 in the 90's-we went into the Gulf and he was blasting along at 30knots or so flatting the sea and I was porposing in my smaller Larson 21 like FLipper trying keep up. They have a great layout(more privacy for the berth would;ve been nice) and the I/O is what I need for a shoaly Injun R.

Anyone know when the 288 began and the 2858 was discontinued? I've seen some 07 leftovers at 3/4 the list price. Closing on one house next week-some of the principle is now in danger...!

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL Go to Top of Page

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  17:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 1995 2858 and have been very happy with it ... the only problem is it can be difficult to dock in a crosswind due to the height ... managable, but difficult. Mine may be for sale soon, let me know if you need any other info.

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  23:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess just the integrity of the build. Are the basics decent, stringers, bulkheads etc?

Fit and finish are fairly evident in Bays and many other boats also but you seem to be able to see the construction methods more obviously in Bays. And like mentioned above, they make for easy upgrade projects it seems, hardware and the like.

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  11:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by psalzer

the only problem is it can be difficult to dock in a crosswind due to the height ... managable, but difficult.

Have you seen this?

http://www.bowthrusters.net/

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  16:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes .. I've seen it, buit don't like the looks ... handling is not that bad, just takes some getting used to. As far as construction I find no problems .. mine nas a few "spider cracks", but nothing serious ... very seaworthy ... loads of storage inside. It is very comfortable for a couple, two couples if they are friendly.

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - Nov 15 2010 :  10:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, a new question. Any idea why this model seems to be one of the few boats that are being listed at least at 40-200% of their NADA values? Most boats are languishing at or around NADA figures but this 2858 consistently gets listed at a premium and not too far off the askings on a 'real' sedan(twin IB's, bigger beam, loa etc).

Monterey10

RO# 12830

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  02:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar to the 2858 is the 2556. The 2556 will often have the OMC GM 260. Where as the 2858 will have the rare King Cobra w/Ford 460.

The 2556 can be towed if you're careful. The 2858 is almost more than you can handle.

I think the 2556 and 2858 are holding their values because people like the flybridge models. They're a nice looking boat. The layout is very good. Compare these boats to a modern trailer trawler and they're similar. Though, the trailer trawler will run you $150k.

On any boat that's getting on 20+ years, you can expect to replace the electronics, refrig, head, sanitation lines, engine, fuel tank and electrical. So, the goal is to find a boat that has been kept up and less wrong with it.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=18078&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by - Monterey10 on Mar 23 2011 02:09:25

Homeport: Capitola, CA Go to Top of Page

Volffas

RO# 30980

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  05:43:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffN

Ok, a new question. Any idea why this model seems to be one of the few boats that are being listed at least at 40-200% of their NADA values? Most boats are languishing at or around NADA figures but this 2858 consistently gets listed at a premium and not too far off the askings on a 'real' sedan(twin IB's, bigger beam, loa etc).

Here's one I've been watching locally. It started out at $29,995 but the owner has bought another boat and sold his slip for this boat. He is getting nervous to sell, down now to $14,000. It's a nice looking boat. So they are out there if you keep your eyes open.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/2280549154.html

2007 Yamaha AR230 "Nine Songs Too"
1989 Carver Montego 2157 "Nine Songs" SOLD
1972 Sea Snark "Four and a half Songs"

Everyone tried to tell me not to buy a boat. Now they want a ride in it!

Homeport: Alexandria, KY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 2452 Topic Next Topic: Looking at purchasing Mavxum 4100SCA  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com