BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: gtex50 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 RI Bill H7487
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Volvo Penta or Mercruiser? Topic Next Topic: deleted - wrong forum  

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  13:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this passes. One way I can see marina's getting around this is by putting absurd insurance requirements on contractors.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/billtext10/housetext10/h7487.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State

gardnersf

RO# 13607



Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  13:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I had looked at moving to a Brewer's yard but this was one of the reasons I didn't. I have mechanics and contractors I like to deal with and that was more important than the slip location.

Scott Gardner
Smithfield, RI
1986 Trojan 10 meter Mid-Cabin Express "More Family Time"
Twin Crusader 454 Straight Inboards
1963 17' Boston Whaler - 90HP Evinrude

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  14:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they pass it and other states take note of it.

I would love that where I am.


__________________________________________________
2003 56 Post Convertible 2x1300HP V12 MAN
2001 26' Boston Whaler Outrage 2 x Mercury 225 Optimax
--------------------------------------------------------
"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  14:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an awful experience with a Brewers Yard for just this issue. When they found me with my mechanic working on my boat the manager read the riot act about how I was depriving the yards workers of work and endangering other boaters in the yard. When I suggested that I pay a fair amount for the slip and it should entitle me to deal with whom ever I want when it comes to working on my boat, I was not given much sympathy (read none). But when I refused to back down the quickly produced a ready made form designed to register outside contractors. The irony being, it is actually allowed by Brewers policy. Just not until they make you squirm a little. The whole episode is one of the worst I have ever had related to boating and the chief reason I will never patronize the particular yard again.

And although I've never done the reseach, I am under the impression that past court cases in RI have blocked marina owner attempts to keep out outside contractors. But to have it codified in the law would be nice.


1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

KiDa

RO# 16492



Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  14:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the one I was watching the hearings on The Capital Channel when I was at Mom's for her birthday. When I was wandering through the marinas reminiscing I mentioned the TV hearings. A boat owner told me Brewers is the driving force and $$$ trying to get it squashed. I've not heard much nice about that chain of marinas.

____________


Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

==========

Capitalism is to this administration what Judaism was to the Third Reich.

-- Me

Homeport: Hopewell, VA Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  14:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well with respect to Brewers, last season the Marina where In stay expanded with 15 plus or minus 40+' slips. Given the economy I thought the owner was insane. He sold them out in 30 minutes - Every single one went to someone leaving a Brewers.

--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

JetBoatDriver

RO# 30805

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  10:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an Admiralty lawyer's opinion on the bill...

http://www.safesea.com/_blog/The_Salty_Barrister

Generating some commentary there, too.



Homeport: Wickford, RI Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880



Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The admiralty lawyer echoed what I was thinking. The marina should be able to control its workyard, but the renter of the slip should have the right to bring in outside help for their boat in the slip they are renting. The marina doesn't even "own" the water. The state owns the water (and beach) up to mean high water. The marina does own the docks, but has to grant the renter (and presumably their guests) access to the docks to get to their boats. That's what the renters are paying rent for....dock access and use.



Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Ductboy

RO# 12348

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you think this would effect the boat while stored for the winter? Aren't you basically "renting" space on land during the winter, just as you would water during the summer?

It seems to me that more work is performed whjile boats are layed up on the hard as opposed to in the water during the boating season.

I would think this would be a real killer for the guys over at Hinckley. When you pull into their yard, I seem to remember seeing a sign or something that prohibited outside contractors from working there.

Dan


Be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...Buddy Cianci

Homeport: Westerly, RI Go to Top of Page

rommer

RO# 12280



Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't agree Glenn. Keep in mind that you are renting the ground space during winter storage. I should be able to decide whom gets access to "my space".





Boats, yup, 5 of em...
WLC - We love Champlin's!

Homeport: Liberty Landing Marina, NJ Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  12:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ductboy

How do you think this would effect the boat while stored for the winter? Aren't you basically "renting" space on land during the winter, just as you would water during the summer?

It seems to me that more work is performed whjile boats are layed up on the hard as opposed to in the water during the boating season.

I would think this would be a real killer for the guys over at Hinckley. When you pull into their yard, I seem to remember seeing a sign or something that prohibited outside contractors from working there.

Dan



I would think you are at the yard's mercy while on the hard. Note that the bill specifically spells out slip rental and not yard storage.


--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

SPIKE

RO# 4024



Posted - Apr 13 2010 :  19:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prospective

I had an awful experience with a Brewers Yard for just this issue. When they found me with my mechanic working on my boat the manager read the riot act about how I was depriving the yards workers of work and endangering other boaters in the yard. When I suggested that I pay a fair amount for the slip and it should entitle me to deal with whom ever I want when it comes to working on my boat, I was not given much sympathy (read none). But when I refused to back down the quickly produced a ready made form designed to register outside contractors. The irony being, it is actually allowed by Brewers policy. Just not until they make you squirm a little. The whole episode is one of the worst I have ever had related to boating and the chief reason I will never patronize the particular yard again.

And although I've never done the reseach, I am under the impression that past court cases in RI have blocked marina owner attempts to keep out outside contractors. But to have it codified in the law would be nice.



This this exactly why we left Brewers - they think once you're in - they think they own you - all seasons - all services, etc. "You cannot renew you slip reservation for next year unless you sign a Winter storage contract." That, along with the contractor requirements as described above.

However if this is what you agree to, the amenities are top shelf - including the pool - flowers, and no junk yard dogs. Other advantages - trade transient slips for over night stays. Okay - great! You decide. We voted with our feet.


2002 Chaparral Signature 260
1948 Chris Craft Deluxe~

Homeport: CT River Go to Top of Page

aholst1

RO# 20936

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  17:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by In the know

Well with respect to Brewers, last season the Marina where In stay expanded with 15 plus or minus 40+' slips. Given the economy I thought the owner was insane. He sold them out in 30 minutes - Every single one went to someone leaving a Brewers.



I know it's off topic, but even here in the Knoxville area, 40+ slips, covered and unccovered, are like gold. My buddy just sold his Silverton, but kept his slip; he gets at least one call a day from soneone wanting to sub-lease.




Homeport: International Harbor Company, Friendsville, TN Go to Top of Page

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  23:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Long Island, NY, some marinas allow outside contracters and some don't. The marina we're using beginning this season doesn't. We'll live with that and see how it goes. As to the slip lease: The marina we're using leases the slip for the year. On-hard winter storage is "free." I'm OK with that, but I do feel it's a bit much that they charge extra for hauling, blocking, and splashing. That should judt be included in the annual costs. The one thing I do object to is the ban on bottom painting. It's not that they charge so much; they don't. It's just that I would do a better job and would use better paint if I did it myself. Not allowed.


Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page

billybokay

RO# 18354

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we should also let a hot dog truck pull up and sell food on their land, why should we have to eat at their restaurant or snack bar.
Does anybody here run a business? If you do ,then you know how the expenses kill you, and then your customers can flaunt their disloyalty by hiring other people to do a service you provide. Come on.
Then we will complain when the marina closes up and there is no where to keep the boat.



Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Ductboy

RO# 12348

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  06:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Billybokay-

I agree to some extent, I patronize my yard whenever possible. But what if the service is not something that the yard self performs, like canvas work. Why should they be able to subcontract the work, but not the boat owner. I think the yard where I keep my boat is the exception, as they have allowed my to purchase parts directly and they installed on several occasions.

I do run a business and do understand what you are getting at, but some yards such as Brewers are outright greedy in their approach to forcing customers to utilize all of their onsite services. Remember...Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered.

The other issue is that the on site services may not be the best available. A previous yard where I kept my boat offered diesel service, but I had an outside guy that I knew was a better mechanic. I'll be damned if I am going to risk my boats engine to a lesser mechanic just because he's convenient.

Dan



Be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow...Buddy Cianci

Homeport: Westerly, RI Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPIKE

quote:
Originally posted by Prospective

I had an awful experience with a Brewers Yard for just this issue. When they found me with my mechanic working on my boat the manager read the riot act about how I was depriving the yards workers of work and endangering other boaters in the yard. When I suggested that I pay a fair amount for the slip and it should entitle me to deal with whom ever I want when it comes to working on my boat, I was not given much sympathy (read none). But when I refused to back down the quickly produced a ready made form designed to register outside contractors. The irony being, it is actually allowed by Brewers policy. Just not until they make you squirm a little. The whole episode is one of the worst I have ever had related to boating and the chief reason I will never patronize the particular yard again.

And although I've never done the reseach, I am under the impression that past court cases in RI have blocked marina owner attempts to keep out outside contractors. But to have it codified in the law would be nice.



This this exactly why we left Brewers - they think once you're in - they think they own you - all seasons - all services, etc. "You cannot renew you slip reservation for next year unless you sign a Winter storage contract." That, along with the contractor requirements as described above.

However if this is what you agree to, the amenities are top shelf - including the pool - flowers, and no junk yard dogs. Other advantages - trade transient slips for over night stays. Okay - great! You decide. We voted with our feet.



Clearly, you have never been to the Brewers in Wickford.


--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

billybokay

RO# 18354

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  09:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, I totally agree with the offsite guys. Like the canvas guy. The marina recommends a really nice guy who does great work, but good luck getting the finished product on your boat in a reasonable time. There are lots of guys who will do a good job, immediately. I also can say that my Marina takes great care of me and my boat, therefore my views are skewed a little in their favor. I guess if I loved the location of my boat and the mechanics where Iceholes. My opinion my differ.

This thread kind of reminds me of what is going on everywhere and what is ruining the economy.
Everyone is devastated that the nice hardware store in town is going out of business , because when they need advice and cant find what they need elsewhere , he always has it in stock. WELL IF YOU WENT TO HIM FIRST ,EVERY TIME, HE WOULD STILL BE IN BUSINESS.

Sorry, just about every business owner I know, is done, or almost done, due to customers being so disloyal . All because of the perception that the big box store or the internet is cheaper or better.





Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880



Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  09:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
billybokay wrote:
<<...."I think we should also let a hot dog truck pull up and sell food on their land, why should we have to eat at their restaurant or snack bar."...>>

Billybokay -
I think the situation with the marinas is different. It's more of a tenants' rights issue. Think of it this way. You rent an apartment. Your TV breaks, and you want to call in a TV repairman. Then the apartment maangement says,

"Sorry. You have to use our own on-site engineer, or someone we choose to sub-contract to fix your TV".

They dictate this, even though you know a TV repair guy who is better.

As a rent paying tenant, you should be able to use who you like. We're talking about the space/apartment/slip you are paying rent for.



Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  10:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billybokay

Dan, I totally agree with the offsite guys. Like the canvas guy. The marina recommends a really nice guy who does great work, but good luck getting the finished product on your boat in a reasonable time. There are lots of guys who will do a good job, immediately. I also can say that my Marina takes great care of me and my boat, therefore my views are skewed a little in their favor. I guess if I loved the location of my boat and the mechanics where Iceholes. My opinion my differ.

This thread kind of reminds me of what is going on everywhere and what is ruining the economy.
Everyone is devastated that the nice hardware store in town is going out of business , because when they need advice and cant find what they need elsewhere , he always has it in stock. WELL IF YOU WENT TO HIM FIRST ,EVERY TIME, HE WOULD STILL BE IN BUSINESS.

Sorry, just about every business owner I know, is done, or almost done, due to customers being so disloyal . All because of the perception that the big box store or the internet is cheaper or better.






With all due respect, I think you're missing the point. Many of the outside contractors ARE the "the little guy" and they are being shut out of employment opportunities because large corportate marinas like Brewers are blocking their access. Further, these corporate marinas are denying boat owners the right to choose with whom they do business.

I choose what contractors I use based on a combination of quality and price. If that's the marina guy then fine but in this case it never is. They are too expensive and are poor in quality and service. So why should I be forced to use them? I am already a paying customer as a slip holder. Just because I choose that service doesn't mean I should be forced to use another. It's a restraint of trade issue that favors large businesses over small businesses and the consumers who use them.

I do own a small business. But I expect to get and keep clients because I'm good at what I do and do it at a fair price. If Marinas had this attitude they would compete on quality and price and the best business would win, not the business with the keys to the front gate.


1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Volvo Penta or Mercruiser? Topic Next Topic: deleted - wrong forum  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

    

Boatered.com