BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Marine Sanitation, Plumbing and the like.
 How much water does my toilet use?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Raritan KO Different Products Topic Next Topic: Pinging Vic  

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  10:30:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been getting this question for years, from people that have holding tanks and are worried about the tanks filling up too quickly.

The most direct answer I can give, is, "How the h*ll do I know?"
The water usage on all marine toilets is operator-driven. It's like asking, "How high is up?"

With a manual flush toilet, it depends on how many times you pump it, and how your plumbing is laid out.

With an electric toilet, it depends on how long you hold the button, as well as how your plumbing is laid out.

With a Vacu-Flush, it depends on how long you press down the pedal, as well as how much water you added to the bowl before stepping on the pedal, plus how the plumbing is laid out.

So please, don't ask me how much water a particular toilet uses when flushing, because I honestly don't know. There are simply too many variables that have to be considered, and how zealous the operator might be. A rule of thumb is that with a manual toilet, flush until the bowl has been cleared then pump it two additional strokes for each foot of connecting hose to the tank. With an electric toilet, flush until the bowl has cleared, plus an additonal second for each foot of connecting hose to the tank.

With a Vacu-Flush, hold the pedal down for NO LESS than 3 seconds, and preferably 5 seconds, then let the pedal "snap" back up. Don't ease it back up with your foot. It is spring-loaded for a reason, and it is supposed to spring back up.

Generally speaking, a marine toilet uses about 1/2 gallon per flush, sometimes more - and that includes the Vacu-Flush too, despite their claims that it will flush with as little as a pint of water. Yes it will, but you'll wind up with a stinky boat as a result of doing it with that small amount of water. Think about it, how does the sewage get from the toilet to the tank? By the water that is carrying it. So it would stand to reason that the longer the run, the more water will be required. But there is no set formula, it is all operator-driven. With a manual toilet that has a piston or diaphragm pump, after clearing the bowl, you can switch it to the "dry" position and continue pumping. If the pump on the head is in good condition, the pressure from the pump will usually be able to push the water and sewage as much as six feet down the line.

-- The Head Master --

Edited by - Vic Willman on May 12 2010 11:01:36

Homeport: Millville, NJ

BarrenRiver

RO# 10785

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  12:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vic just ask them what kind head they have and 95% won't know, so then you can (say) I need that information...It's amazing how many people don't now what kind of head they have on their boat

Servicing Raritan Dealer

Edited by - Vic Willman on Apr 23 2010 11:05:21

Homeport: Glasgow, KY Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  13:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW: Why do they call it a 'head' when it's the 'tail' that is using it?

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

stmbtwle

RO# 7934

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  14:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'cause it used to be in the bow (head) of the ship...

Willie: Look Ma no paddle!

Homeport: Tampa Bay, FL Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Apr 23 2010 :  12:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahem, uh, edit:

"'cause it used to BE the bow (head) of the ship..."

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:57:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Danny (Barren River):

One of the old stickies that I had posted on this Forum (and Les took away and archived somewhere when he was looking for space on his server, a few years back) suggested that when you have a problem with a piece of equipment on your boat to note down what it is doing or not doing, then write down the make, model and serial number of the piece of equipment. Write down as much information as possible about it - right there on the spot - when you're actually having the problem.

Don't wait until Monday when you're back at your office, 400 miles away, to call or write in, complaining about the equipment not working properly - without any of the necessary information for someone to try and troubleshoot it. Also, the approximate age of the piece of equipment will also be helpful to someone who is trying to troubleshoot it.

And keep in mind that "brand new" is a relative term. When you buy a new boat or a new car or truck, in your mind it is still "new" even though it may actually be several years old... So keep these things in mind when a problem arises. Makes no difference if it's an engine, an air conditioner, a toilet, a depth finder, a hailer or whatever. Get the necessary information right there, on the spot, when you're having the problem.

I get calls all the time about someone having a problem with an Atlantes "Freedom" head (as an example) that came with the boat when it was new, and the boat is a 1996 model.

Not!

The Atlantes "Freedom" didn't come on the market until 2005, 9 years later! A 1996 model boat may seem new, but it's actually 14 years old! Right away, I know that the person was looking on our website for the model of his head, because he doesn't know what it is. Get the information from the actual item, not from the accompanying paperwork, or from a website.

The Raritan website only covers equipment that is CURRENTLY in production, not something that is many years old! If your unit is more than 5 years old, chances are you won't find any good information on it, on the Raritan website. Other manufacturers' websites are similar; they stay up to date on the newest products, but rarely cover the older products on their website.

-- The Head Master --

Homeport: Millville, NJ Go to Top of Page

praetorian

RO# 14793

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  10:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question on the vacuflush heads. I thought the whole idea with them is that they used the vacuum to pull the waste, not the water to push it? Is this not the way it actually works?

My Elegance uses extremely little water to make it work. I don't think a vacuflush actually uses less, but I thought that once the waste was past the closes 'ball', then it was sucked all the way to the holding tank using vacuum (and power).

My forward head is only about 5 feet from the holding tank and the angles are great, so once it's out of the toilet, gravity will literally take it the rest of the way. The aft head run is closer to 30 feet, and most of that is flat horizontal. I was just about to upgrade an Atlantes to an Elegance before spring (to finish off my brand new holding tank and hoses job). If I really need to flush for a second per foot, then I'm not it good shape there, and maybe a vacuflush is a better fit (although reliability is a concern with them! My Atlantes and Elegance have proven to be teenage girl proof !)

Homeport: On Go to Top of Page

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  07:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< despite their claims that it will flush with as little as a pint of water. Yes it will, but you'll wind up with a stinky boat as a result of doing it with that small amount of water. Think about it, how does the sewage get from the toilet to the tank? By the water that is carrying it. So it would stand to reason that the longer the run, the more water will be required. But there is no set formula, it is all operator-driven. >>

I stand on what I'd said earlier. The vacuum draws the waste out of the toilet, yes, but said waste splatters all over the inside of the connecting hose, between the actual toilet pedestal and the vacuum pump. If you don't have enough water to carry it all the way to the vacuum tank, then it will be stuck to the inside of the hose in-between. Over time, the hose permeates and the boat stinks.

I rest my case!

-- The Head Master --

praetorian

RO# 14793

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  10:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok! So there really isn't much true difference then between a vacuflush and an elegance as it relates to water used per foot of waste line.

Most of my waste line is solid PVC anyway, so I'm not worried about it permeating quickly. Also, while I was running the lines, I actually ran a spare set to each end.

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  15:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< Ok! So there really isn't much true difference then between a vacuflush and an elegance as it relates to water used per foot of waste line. >>

Peggie Hall and I have been saying that for years - but nobody will believe us... (Not necessarily comparing it to the "Elegance," because the "Elegance" hasn't been out all that long.) - but comparing it to other available heads. The VacuFlush is a very good head, but it isn't miraculous...!

-- The Head Master --

Edited by - Vic Willman on Feb 21 2011 15:40:01

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever happened to Peggy?

I used to see her posts all the time in the mid 1990's on rec.boats, if she could get a word in between Krause & Skippy's ongoing Bayliner battles.

She's a fellow Trojan owner.

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

praetorian

RO# 14793

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  08:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It makes sense, I just hadn't thought it all out. I can tell you that replacing 1 Atlantes with an Elegance last year made a big difference in lengthening time between pumpouts. We were able to go from 7 days on hook, to over 11 (and then everybody wanted time on shore, so I can't say how much longer it would have lasted).

Vic Willman

RO# 3655

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  09:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RWS, I replaced Peggie on this Forum (at her recommendation). She had been living in Atlanta and kept her boat at Lake Lanier, but she left that area several years ago and moved to Little Rock, Arkansas to care for her aging father, who has since passed away. He was in his early 90's, if I remember correctly.

She dropped off this Forum around that time, and sold her Trojan as well - nowhere to use it in Little Rock. She's now an independent consultant on marine sanitation and getting rid of odors on your boat. I am in frequent contact with her via phone and e-mail, and we remain friends.

After her husband passed away in the mid-'90's, she sold her company, Peal Products, to Raritan in the late '90's and joined our staff for a year to help us through the transition of training everyone here on her line of products, as well as integrating her accounting system with ours. After the year was up, she went off on her own to pursue other interests, wrote a book, etc. While she is an avid fan of Raritan products, she has no actual association with our company any longer, and is not on our payroll.

Every few years or so, we'll hook up at a Boat Show and have a drink or a meal together. Last time we got together was about 3 years ago in Annapolis.

She still uses the online name "Head Mistress," and remains active on a few other Boating Forums under that name. You can Google her under her name (Peggie Hall - Peggie with an "ie," not a "y" at the end) or under the name Head Mistress.

She isn't hard to find...

P.S. With the two of us being friends, I started using the online name, "Head Master," just to needle her a bit...

-- The Head Master --

Edited by - Vic Willman on Feb 22 2011 09:55:37

lobsta1

RO# 1808

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  10:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RWS

Whatever happened to Peggy?

I used to see her posts all the time in the mid 1990's on rec.boats, if she could get a word in between Krause & Skippy's ongoing Bayliner battles.

She's a fellow Trojan owner.

RWS

Some one else remembers! Don't know why but I was recently trying to recall their names. Remembered Skippy with the SUPER Bayliner, but could not remember Krause.
Al

1978 Bertram 33

Homeport: Beverly,Ma Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Raritan KO Different Products Topic Next Topic: Pinging Vic  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com