boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 12 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: Lancer ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 stolen boat / dumped on the road
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Toll boats stationed at Zachs Bay / Airshow Topic Next Topic: Golden Carpets  

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 26 2010 :  22:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought an old boat and motor a few weeks ago. Its going to be next winters project. I had parked the boat outside one of my properties on the amityville copiague border over night (i left the gate key home). Come back the next morning, and the boat, motor, and trailer are gone. I called the amityville police to file a report for a stolen boat. They told me I couldnt file anything because the boat wasnt in my name at that point. Town of babylon found the boat, traced it back to its previous owners. The owners showed them the bill of sale, and now I am slapped with a $1000 fine because the boat was dumped on the side of the road..

how do I fight this??
1986 Formula 242ss F3ss Merc 5.7 EFI - Bravo 1 Drive.

Homeport: Freeport NY

psalzer

RO# 4570

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  06:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably can't ... several years ago I had a truck stolen ... police recovered it where in was stripped, burned and ran into a creek in Pensacola, FL. After identifying it the police said I had 10 days to remove it. I told them I didn't want it back, they said if I didn't have it removed the county would do it and bill me for removal and storage. I had to pay to have it removed and sent to a junk yard. No help from insurance as it was an old truck with liability only ..... lesson learned!!

Pete

Homeport: Fayetteville, Ga Go to Top of Page

CaptNCamille

RO# 31130

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call the Town Attorney, explain the situation, and offer to pay for removal and disposal if he will forgo the fine (or at least most of it).

I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
Abraham Lincoln

Homeport: W.Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a friend whose truck was stolen in Eastern New Orleans. It was found 2 days later in the St. Bernard Housing Projects. Police said it was up to him to go get it. He called every tow truck in town and none would go into the housing projects without police protection. When my friend called the police, they said they were not going into the projects either. He finally found a tow truck that would go in, if my friend went with him and he had to pay double.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  07:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fine is at 1000 bucks right now. I have only been contacted by the town, as of right now I have no formal ticket in my hand. They said they were mailing it. The boat has been stripped of EVERYTHING. the trailer, they took the wheels, winch, jack, and somehow managed to take the axle as well. But hey, atleast they left me a cleat (sarcasm)

Ill try calling the town lawyer when I get the fine in my hand. Thanks for the advice, similar situation stories!

Homeport: Freeport NY Go to Top of Page

destination unknown

RO# 12619

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  16:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to follow up with the Town. You can not be held for a fine for dumping, if the boat was actually stolen. The Police should have taken a report if you could have shown ownership, IE title signed over to you, Reg signed over to you or Bill of Sale. You can be on the line for hauling it to a storage facility and storage fee's, and if you have insurance they will cover that. The reason is that the boat is still your property. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Homeport: Anchorage Yacht Club Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 29 2010 :  19:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was able to take the boat back and the fine will be dropped. Since there was nothing left on the boat, and they did a hell of an art work to the outside hull I had to take another trailer and take the boat up to Omni recylcing..for 36 bucks they took the boat and crushed it. What an awesome show it was watching them crush that thing. I guess those guys dont get a whole lot of fun things to crush so they had a field day with the machines crushing and beating up on this boat..

spj

RO# 31662

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  08:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that you got things straight with the town of babylon, I would be drb2rb2@gr5tgr5t#k and go after the town of amityville, and find out why the cop was to lazy to file a report. If Babylon, could figure out the rightfull, even if not titled, owner they they should have two!

Homeport: nj Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting anything done within the village of amityville is impossible. Ill get the run around and never get a straight answer. The second I complain about the officer, my name gets on a long list of places they wont patrol. As dumb as that sounds its the truth.

spj

RO# 31662

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah good ole country boys! I know what you are talking about.

spj

RO# 31662

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah good ole country boys! I know what you are talking about.

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much what it is. Ive sold just about all my property in Amityville because I cant stand the town. They break your balls over EVERYTHING. The town is sooo corrupt, its not even funny. Yes I know every town is but Amityville is the pits. I had a fire at one of my buildings a few years back.

The village of amityville didnt want to respond because the building was on the border of copiague, and they thought copiague should fight the fire. Even though MY tax dollars go to amityville. All they want to do is collect the money and do nothing. It ended up being an 8 alarm fire so eventually Amityville showed up. It took the fire departments 14 hours to put this fire out.

Double D

RO# 10727

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  09:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they are typical vollys..........they all must belong to " The cellar savers of America " orginization.......they say they have never lost a chimney or cellar yet !!!

-------------------------------------

Edited by - Double D on Apr 30 2010 09:58:59

Homeport: Summer..anywhere we want. Winter...sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly typical vollys.

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in Amityville, as do many other people who are very happy with the place, including our excellent fire and police depts.

Thanks,
Ron

Homeport: Amityville, NY Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  10:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron living and working in Amityville are two totally different things.

If you own commercial property its completely different.

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  11:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saying you experience frustrations with local services and calling them corrupt are two different things too. I know a lot of these people - and they are not corrupt.

If you are unhappy with a local service, why don't you call the mayor or a trustee? I would.

Thanks,
Ron

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  12:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron I am not going to get into a pissing match with you. Im glad that you know a lot of these people, as do I. In your mind they are not corrupt in my mind they are. I have been in lawsuits with the village for over 10 years because they took away my zoning illegally.

"call the mayor or a trustee" The mayor is the one causing all this trouble, and most of the trustees are useless. The small local government of Amityville are a close tight group that only care about themselves. Look at the new town hall they build and the new police station..was there any need for that? Nope, both were fine as is. Why dont they put money into their streets to make it safer for people to drive on. Look at the intersection of 110 and oak street. Its terrible, and they dont want to work on it.

Im not going on and on about this. You want to comment feel free. When it comes to local politics one person sees it one way and another sees it totally differently. Agree to disagree

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  13:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the new Village Hall. It's an asset to the community, and there was a compelling financial argument for replacing the old building and dealing with the decades old leaking underground tank problem once and for all. Village taxes are relatively under control, certainly compared to the school district or Babylon town, so why should I mind that they built a new building to replace some ratty old ones?

And I like the aggressive approach to zoning they've taken too. I don't know your situation, but certainly the guys who wanted to put a restaurant in a residential area, the greedy pricks who wanted to subdivide a residential property to an absurd level just to pocket a few bucks, they get no sympathy from me and I'm glad the Village went after them. I expect the Village to push the envelope to stop those things, and if they don't, I'll vote for people who will. Around here, 200 votes swings an election, so that matters.

I'm not saying all this to rattle your cage, just so you recognize the reality here: residents vote, you don't. And everything you say they are doing, sounds like what the residents elected them to do. It's not politics and it's not corruption. It's responsive government. Think what you want, but don't expect it to change.

Thanks,
Ron

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  14:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Typical vollys"???
Maybe in your part of the world but not in mine. Again, not to start a whizzing contest but the volunteer FFs and EMTs I know (and believe me, I know a heck of a lot of them)are very dedicated to community service and save taxpayers 100s of thousands of dollars every year in my part of the country (PA & MD).

BTW, sorry about the boat and all the trouble its caused for you.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  15:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Listen my zoning is grandfathered in. My commercial property commercial ZONED property thats been in the family for over 90 years is grandfathered in. Where my property is there were NO houses at the time. Then someone decided to build a few houses around that property and they did nothing but bitch to the town about living across from a factory. Now how is that MY problem? By the town all of a sudden pushing ME out because my factory is in a commercial and industrial part of Amityville and they have homeowners complaining..I do vote whenever there is an election, I go to the town meetings

Mike your correct in our part of the world some to most of the vollys dont really care. Most of them do it as a social hang out fraternity type, and there are a few who take it seriously. Ive been to a fire house in Massapequa which is also Volly, and they have people sitting around drinking and playing pool. Its more of a social club these days..

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  15:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See, that was the thing you first said that got me to post.

I've had AFD to my house twice. Once when my furnace went nuts and wife didn't know what to do, the other time when my 89 year old Dad fell unconscious on the back lawn during a visit. In both cases, these guys were here in minutes and weren't too busy playing pool to do what was needed. My house didn't burn down and Dad's still alive, so call me a satisfied customer.

They come around for a donation every year and I happily write them a check. If they want to sit at the fire house and have a few beers, next round's on me.

As you say, you are entitled to your opinion and to express it wherever, but mine is, you are throwing dirt on a few hundred volunteers you don't even know, and you are out of line. And I'll disagree with you here every time you say it.

Thanks,
Ron

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  15:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How am I out of line? I donate to the AFD the APD. If you read my last post correctly RON you would see, i said that was MASSAPEQUA fire department NOT Amityville. Yeah lets have the firemen sit around the firehouse having a few beers then have them run out on a call..? How in the world does that make sense buddy? It doesnt. If they are going to volunteer at a dangerous job then they should take it seriously and not be sitting and drinking..

So now that I have a legit case about my zoning issues you back off on that, but yet you promote firemen drinking when at the house..makes total sense..Yeah Amityville is in GREAT shape!

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  16:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't back off anything. Maybe you had a legitimate zoning disagreement with the Village, but you haven't shown me anything that looks "corrupt" in the Village's handling of it. As I said in my 3rd post, I don't know your situation, I just like their overall approach and gave some examples of why.

And you started out saying most volunteer firefighters in this part of the world basically don't care and want to party. I guess I missed that the word MOST referred to every locale on LI except Amityville, who's firemen you value highly. Other than that they wanted to let your building burn down that time. Pardon me for mistakenly thinking you were taking a shot at them.

Fact is, I lived in Massapequa or the Park for over 35 years out of my life, so I don't agree that there's anything wrong over there either. As far as how they manage alcohol consumption in the firehouse and firefighting, I would assume they have procedures and rules around that. I haven't heard of any issues. When a call goes out, they are all somewhere, maybe in the firehouse, maybe at home, maybe in a bar. Unless they are not allowed to drink 24/7, we're pretty much relying on them having good judgement and using it as to which fires to show up at. I don't see where declaring the firehouses no drinking zones really solves anything.

Incidentally to echo Mike's comment, it is too bad your boat got stolen and stripped. Really terrible the way that area of Copiague you border has gone downhill. Honestly, why do you want to be there any more?

Thanks,
Ron

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - Apr 30 2010 :  19:40:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sure they didnt want the building to burn down. Its pretty sad when Lindenhurst gets down to the burning building before Amityville. If I wanted to get into details about the corruption I would. Lets just say someone VERY high up in the amityville government was found sitting outside the building as it started to burn. Infact hes the one who called the fire department. Now tell me why he was outside MY building at 445am. From the time the call came in till the time Amityville got on location was 57 minutes. Im not saying he did anything to start the fire or to delay the depart in getting there but it just seems odd..Just throwing that out there.

Im still in amityville because I own a lot of property and it pays pretty good money to have tenants..Im still in that section that borders copiague because I am still waiting for the insurance company to finally pay the loss of the builing and finish the claim..

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - May 01 2010 :  04:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to continue the discussion on volunteer firefighters and EMTs with a little history tossed in for clarity. In the past many volunteer firehouses operated "Social Clubs" which were basically private clubs that served adult beverages. Active firefighters were joined by "social members" at the clubs much like any private club. Social members paid a membership fee while the active firefighters did not. Membership fees and bar tabs were an important source of funding for the volunteer fire company as well as an excellent recruiting tool. Most such clubs are gone today due to the liability and stigma attached to them. (Many years ago I used to frequent one that had an automatic lock that lock the door whenever there was a fire dispatch so no one in the club could respond.) Many have been replaced by catering halls which are often operated by an independent vendor or they conduct the ever present chicken BBQs, breakfasts and turkey dinners to keep money in the company coffers for training, equipment and maybe the annual banquet to honor members. Volunteers are very difficult to come by today so if you do have reliable and trained volunteer firefighters/EMTs in your community you need to support and thank them at any opportunity.... they save you many, many tax dollars and get little in return beyond the great feeling of helping others and the occassional adrenalin rush of an emergency response.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

JeffN

RO# 3672

Posted - May 01 2010 :  09:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to add fuel to your fire but I give a big A+ to our Nassau shores VFD-tight run group since I was born there in '58 and I always hand them a c note when they come knocking(and to see their pupils dilate too). I've used them over the years and they're always 1st responders, competent and professional. Sorry to hear your lament over your experiences.

And living next to Amityville for 36 years on/off(off 4 good now) and having my folks start their business there from 72-79, I've seen it upgraded and improved over the decades and at least outwardly, Peter seems to be cleaning up the place nicely(Park at the canal end on Montauk what used to be migrant slums & Crust Canvas for one, some of the best paved roads on 110, at least). You want insider corruption, G.O.B.ville, try Huntington.

Again, sympathies for your plights from an ex-classic glastron owner(CV21 OB).

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon

Homeport: Vero Beach FL Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - May 01 2010 :  10:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, this is Eff N Bee, Marconi Blvd? The fire that was hard to fight because the building contained many propane tanks and cans of paint thinner?

I guess I'm not surprised they thought it was Copiague, since Google comes up with a Copiague address for that.

Much yard work awaits me this weekend, so I'll be gone now for quite a while, but I'm just going to say this.

You seem to imply that village officials would be so outraged by your business existing and causing some issues for nearby residences that they'd burn it down and conspire with the fire department to delay a response.

Anything is possible, but for me that does not add up.

This is the village board that lost some votes in the last election because they WEREN'T more supportive of neighbors of a body shop on Merrick Rd that people had issues with. In fact one of the trustees made the comment in a hearing to one of them that if he didn't like being next to a business, why did he build a house there. But you are up there on the wrong side of the tracks where there are several factories and the like, with neighbors who are not even in Amityville, and they are going to torch you and risk prison sentences to get you out? In this village, where the coconut telegraph is faster and more efficient than the internet, and everyone's going to know that this conspiracy took place within 15 minutes?

Let's say this really was the case. Major crimes are not investigated in Amityville. Didn't you go to the county on this? And again, if you're in an area that is now partly populated by MS-13 members, whom you can see lowriding in their customized Civics on Dixon Avenue looking for someone to drag race or stab most days, AND the PTB have it in for you, wouldn't you want to work more aggressively to relocate? I don't even like to drive through there on the way to Home Depot...

Thanks,
Ron

Edited by - ronp on May 01 2010 18:23:53

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - May 01 2010 :  13:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Ron, it my property and buildings arent on Marconi but thanks for assuming so. But keep the guessing game going. Your nothing but one of those Amityville Trolls. You caught me in a REAL bad mood today so like I stated many posts ago, just agree to disagree. GOT IT PAL!

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - May 01 2010 :  18:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BoatCrazy

You caught me in a REAL bad mood today so like I stated many posts ago, just agree to disagree. GOT IT PAL!

Is this a threat? If not, what is it exactly?

Thanks,
Ron

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - May 01 2010 :  18:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron, does it sound like a threat? Not even close. If and when I make a threat, I follow up on them. That in no way is a threat.

You know what it is? It was me in a bad mood, and then reading what you THOUGHT was my property and you thinking you know it all.

Thanks for playing

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - May 01 2010 :  22:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just trying to figure things out based on the information you provide. Unfortunately you keep changing it. So that isn't your property.

Guess there must have been two big commercial building fires a few years ago on the Amity Copiague border, that required all those fire depts you named to respond, and that started at 5am or so, but only the one I mentioned got all the publicity on the net. Good that you were able to keep yours quiet.

You know what I think? I think you are making this up as you go along. Unfortunately you are coming close to libel against real people who don't deserve it in the process. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that too.

Thanks,
Ron

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - May 02 2010 :  07:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You think I am making it up? Yeah your right I keep changing it. You are out of your mind. News flash Ronald, just because there is a several alarm fire DOES NOT MEAN ITS GOING TO BE ALL OVER THE INTERNET. You seem to foget that the border of Amityville and Copiague just ISNT on Marconi. But keep saying Im changing my story please, this is now just entertaining. Would you like to guess where my other properties are since you know it all??

Double D

RO# 10727

Posted - May 02 2010 :  07:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on...........

OK.............GO !

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - May 02 2010 :  10:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want a front seat Don but ya gotta share the popcorn :)

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

Double D

RO# 10727

Posted - May 02 2010 :  11:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK......but not my beer !!!!

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - May 02 2010 :  13:42:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll order the pizza. This could be a long one.

Mike

BoatCrazy

RO# 30843

Posted - May 02 2010 :  16:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys but I dont enjoy being called a liar. Though those words werent used, its what Ronald is implying. He seems to be a Mr. Know it all, and hes not even close to knowing what hes talking about.

Though, Im glad its entertaining you guys cause its sure is entertaining me

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - May 02 2010 :  17:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still early in the season and we're short on entertainment :)

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is no lie......make noise and you're marked in this village....., worse now than ever, I'm gettin' out of here after 40+ years.

quote:
Originally posted by BoatCrazy

Getting anything done within the village of amityville is impossible. Ill get the run around and never get a straight answer. The second I complain about the officer, my name gets on a long list of places they wont patrol. As dumb as that sounds its the truth.

Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - May 14 2010 :  08:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And my family...btw....Amityvilliagers since 1930, so before anyone decides that I don't know what I'm talking about or I don't have the "right" to voice my opinion, that's 80 years, I do not leave lightly.....just sick to death.......

I loved it here.....and I'm not leaving tomorrow or next week but I won't be finishing the last half of my life here........and it's killing me....

Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 14 2010 :  20:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's too bad. I have to say that the Village of Farmingdale has pretty much always been easy to deal with. We had a Mayor for one term that lacked people skills, but most of the employees were still great, and were very accomodating.
The few times I needed something done, they usually got to me that day.

87 Sea Ray, 30' Sundancer
Merri Mack
MMSI #338122779
95 Eastern 22'
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Toll boats stationed at Zachs Bay / Airshow Topic Next Topic: Golden Carpets  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.94 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com