BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Inside Passage 2010 - Stalwyn
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Roche harbor trails. Topic Next Topic: Two weeks off
Page: of 2

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - May 29 2010 :  09:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inside Passage 2010 – Stalwyn

We are planning to get away on our 6-7 week trip to the Central and North Coasts of B.C. by June 1, in the company of Ria Sea, a Commander 26. We will likely meet up Monday or Tuesday at Quarry Bay.

I will post on our progress as we go, when we hit the WIFI spots along the route, and post the pics at the start of the long winter. We will be trying out a new camera on the theory that it will be bound to compensate for my (lack of) photographic skills.

Were the weather forecasts and reports, which I included in last summer’s IP 2009, of any interest or use to you? How about the Nobeltec charts and tracks, and the Google Earth locators?

Does anyone have any specific interest in this area, or along the routes, that we can report on for you?

Hope you will be keeping us company this summer, along with the “regulars”,
druid, Ghost, Kuredu, navman, nosail, oldfishboat, rduhon, Riverbed, shepdog, Weekender, Wingspar, Your comments are always appreciated.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - May 29 2010 :  10:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you are going back out in that beautiful area. Take lots of pictures so us less fortunate can view.
That is one of the most beautiful cruising areas I have ever seen, and you take great pictures.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - May 29 2010 :  18:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ray, I am glad you are going along for the ride.

I sure hope the attempts to clean up the Gulf spill and to protect your Louisiana shoreline are successful and that you regain your pristine boating area.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

NewMoon

RO# 29151

Posted - May 30 2010 :  06:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bon Voyage, OS!

We'll be a few hundred miles north, launching at Prince Rupert in about two weeks.

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Homeport: Holladay, UT Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - May 30 2010 :  07:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Richard.

We wish you a safe journey, both on the road, and in the water.

I sure hope you will be making lots of additions to your photo "Scrappy-book".

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - May 30 2010 :  19:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am lucky enough to be on the SW side of the state. Our inland waterways can be blocked off at the mouth of the river.
Hopefully we won't have to worry about the spill. But, I do work close to it. I am about 50 miles from the blowout.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - May 31 2010 :  07:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take care, Ray. Be sure to keep those Hackberry House Slippers clean.

Forecast at 4 am : Strait of Georgia - "Winds light". Good day for an early start, meet up with Ria Sea on the water near the mouth of Jervis Inlet, and stop for the night at Campbell River. Load up with fuel and water and take Seymour Narrows on the Turn to Ebb at 8:47 am Tuesday morning. Outlook for Johnstone Strait Tuesday is "Winds light becoming SE 10-15 in the afternoon".

Gotta' GO!

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - May 31 2010 :  09:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be safe out there and don't forget plenty of pics!

Dave

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  22:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 1 - Monday, May 31

Weather forecast for Strait of Georgia and Johnstone Strait looks very good for today. The goal is to finish loading the boat (in the rain), get the kayaks up, meet up with Ria Sea, and get to Campbell River while the winds are light.

Secret Cove to Campbell River

Engine hours -3.8
Elapsed Time -4 hrs. 10 min
Distance Recorded by Gps -59.6 nm
Average Speed -15.6 kt
WRS on the route -Grief Point, Sentry Shoal, Cape Mudge
Diesel Fuel -350 L for $336.35 Fill
Water -topped up at fuel dock

Rain, cloud, mist, and the quietest crossing of the SOG that I have ever experienced. Welsh cakes and and a beer with the Campbell River Pastry Maker.

Day 2 - Tuesday, June 1

Forecast for Johnstone Strait: winds light > SE 10-15 early morning, > 15-25 this aft. > SE 20-30 Wed. morn.
Queen Charlotte Strait: SE 10-15 this morning, > 15-25 this aft. > SE 35 Wed. morn. The goal is to go through Seymour Narrows before the 8:47 am TTE and pull out when the wind gets too strong in the afternoon.

Campbell River to Port McNeill

Engine hours -4.6
Elapsed Time -5 hrs. 2 min
Distance Recorded by Gps -87.2 nm
Average Speed -18.9 kt
WRS on the route -Chatham Point, Fanny Island, Pulteney Point
Diesel Fuel -282 L for $281.72. Fill to Spill
Water -topped up at fuel dock

Left the River at 7:20 am and through the Narrows an hour before slack but picked up the back current on the East side, and travelled with the current and the increasing wind behind us all day.
At the fuel dock in Port McNeill before noon!!

OS

From the Admiral:

We made it to Campbell River by about 1 pm yesterday. It finally stopped raining when we got there. Flat (baby bottom flat) water! Pizzing down with rain. However the travelling was great. We went to visit OS's aunt. Stayed for a couple of hours and then came back to Stalwyn and the four of us went to the Riptide Pub for supper. Had good food and company! This morning we left the dock in CR for slack at Seymour Narrows. Came out from the maina and there parading in the same direction as us was the Amsterdam Cruise Ship. So we raced ahead of it and zoomed on through the Narrows with Ria Sea following behind (our tag-alongs, as they call themselves). We kept ahead of the gale force winds that were forecast. We made it all the way to Port McNeill. While getting fuel, the winds just started to roar, so we decided to stay put at the dock!! We are fast becoming "dock bunnies". Tomorrow, Wednesday, we plan to head across Queen Charlotte Strait and start heading towards Cape Caution. If the overnight winds stay lively tonight, we will stay in Port McNeill for a second night. I am gradually getting the boat to some form of "ship-shape" since OS had dumped everything inside!! Washed down all the surfaces and everything has found a "home". I even managed to clean the cockpit this morning and put the carpet down along with my deck chairs for a snooze this afternoon! Well, better get started on dinner for tonight. Hope all is well at your end.
Young_Mrs. Salt

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  09:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OS: Good job on the trip details. Helps me in my planning for future trips. Keep up the good job. One question, WRS is what? Also, do you use water with your scotch? Might explain the "topped up at fuel dock" comments at each fuel stop.:)

Young_Mrs. Salt: Good to hear that you're getting the boat in shape. You sound a lot like my 1st Mate, except she thinks she's the Admiral!

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Edited by - BillV on Jun 03 2010 11:05:28

Homeport: Lynden, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  19:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WRS=Weather Reporting Stations. You need to know where they are for the info they provide to be of any use to you.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  19:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 3 - Wednesday, June 2

FQCN13 CWVR 021100 Marine forecasts for Pacific waters issued by Environment Canada at 4:00 a.m. PDT Wednesday 2 June 2010 for today tonight and Thursday. The next scheduled forecasts will be issued at 10:30 a.m.
Queen Charlotte Strait. Gale warning in effect. Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots diminishing to southwest 15 to 20 late this morning and to southeast 10 to 15 late this evening. Rain ending early this afternoon. Showers beginning near midnight. (Implied SE 10-15 Thurs.)
Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island. Gale warning in effect. Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots diminishing to southwest 20 to 30 near noon then backing to southeast 20 to 30 early this evening. Rain.
We will wait a day and stay here.

Ria Sea and Stalwyn at the Fuel Dock Marina in Port McNeill

Ria Sea with Kayak Rack

The tug "Numas Warrior" in Port McNeill

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jun 25 2010 15:31:30

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  12:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Kayak carrier. Hope the weather gets better as it is here where I am.

Dave

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  11:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure know how to hurt a guy.

I'm still hauled out down in Seattle and my season has not yet begun. A little over a month ago, the Port of Everett used some really novice hauling skills and wound up splitting about 25 feet of hull deck joint on my boat, crushed the spray rail and generally just made a massive mess of things. As of yesterday, most of the repairs have been made and a new rub rail is going on. If things go well the rest of the week, its looking to me like maybe as soon as Friday or Monday, we might actually get to think about splashing her again.

When the Port of Everett tried to get me to cheat my insurance company by offering to pay my deductible (and nothing more), I moved out of the marina after 15 years there. No sense dealing with dishonest crooks. I'll be moving my boat permanently to Anacortes. I'm rather excited to get up there and this will take 4 hours off of my typical "Day 1" cruise up to the San Juan's.

So, with any luck, I'll still be able to salvage some of this summer. Sad thing is, for the first (and maybe only) time in my career I decided to take a 6 month sabatical away from work. This is not something one gets to do all the time. Thanks to the Port of Everett, I'm getting to do WEEKS of this on the hard, instead of in the water. Water time I may never get back. So far I've missed my first Memorial day in about 18 years on the water, missed one of our Tollyclub events and yes I'm sulking, crying, wailing and sniffling to anyone who will listen right now.

My plan now is to getting back in the water just as summer finally arrives in ernest. I still plan to spend the rest of June and July on the water.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

marlinmikea

RO# 31533

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ghost,

Sorry to hear that about your boat - but when did you say summer was going to start?

Hopefully this weekend as it will be our first big outing. Taking your advice and trying out Victoria.

Take care and good luck on getting her back together.

Marlin

Homeport: Edmonds, WA Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jun 10 2010 :  08:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow!

Can you give us more information as to why this happened? Novice hauling skills? Was it sling position? Were you there when it happened? Did you have a survayer inspect the repairs?

I'd like to know so hopefully I can avoid it happening to me.

Dave

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  14:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ghost:

I am very sorry to hear about the damage to your boat, and the loss of boating time this summer. Hang in there. I know you will make the most of the time you have remaining.

I will do my best to send along some info that will encourage you to take a shot at getting up here ASAP.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 11 2010 :  23:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4, Thursday, June 3

The forecast had Queen Charlotte Strait at SE 15-20 in the morning, and the Central Coast at SE 15-20 going to SE 20-30 early morning. We are not going around the Cape today.

WRS (Weather Reporting Stations) of importance in the run North around Cape Caution from Port McNeill are Pulteney Point (from 7:30 am), Scarlett Point, Herbert I, Pine I, all on the S side and Egg I on the N side.

Leaving Port McNeill at 7:30 am, on the turn to ebb, we made the attempt to cross to the North side of Queen Charlotte Strait, and it went well. The water was good enough that, before taking a tour of Blunden Harbour at 10 am, we decided to continue to Allison Harbour today, arriving and anchored by 11 am. 40 nm in 3 1/2 hours with a tour through the Southgate Group as a bonus.

Ria Sea in Allison Harbour. View S to the entrance.

The weather turned ugly in the afternoon so it was good that we were at anchor and not trying to beat our way further North.

8 pm: The 4pm forecast has QC Strait at L o/n to NW 5-15 Fri aft, and Central at SE 10-20 o/n to SW 10-20 noon Fri. Egg I was SE 11 at 7:40 pm this eve. If Egg I is SE 10 tomorrow, it's a go. If Egg I is SE 20 agianst the ebb from Smith Inlet, it could be rough.

Sunset in Allison Harbour. View NW.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  01:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dats some perty pictures.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  09:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 5 - Friday, June 4

Sunrise in Allison Harbour. View NW.

We are listening to WX3 Port Hardy as soon as we are awake at 5 am. Egg I reported NE 08 at 4:40 am. Pine I reported winds calm. Started up at 5:21 am, pulled the anchor out of sticky mud using the boat, and went over to wake up Ria Sea. Exited Allison Harbour at 5:56 am. Bypassed Skull Cove and Miles Inlet. 6:55 am Cape Caution.

Approaching Cape Caution from the South.

Cape Caution 10 minutes away.

Ria Sea at Cape Caution. Now THAT is lonely.

7:19 approaching Egg I. 8:32 Duncanby Landing for fuel for Ria Sea. 10:08 Dawson's Landing visit to the store.

View North in Rivers Inlet.

View of Rivers Inlet from Dawsons Landing.

Took a tour of Frypan Bay and Big Frypan Bay on the way to our Anchorage in Five Windows Cove at 1:05 pm. Wind was brisk now.

An eagle checking us out from the heights in 5 Windows Cove.

8 hour day with stops at Duncanby Landing and Dawson's Landing. 69.1 nm traveled in 6.3 engine hours averaging 11 kts.

5 days to round Cape Caution. 255.9 nm in 18.2 engine hours with average speed 14 kts. and average 51 nm per day over 5 days, traveling on 4/5 days.

OS

NewMoon

RO# 29151

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  11:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five Windows Cove - nice anchorage!

Sure could use some of that beautiful weather here in Prince Rupert. 35-45 knots today in the Dixon Entrance. Guess I won't try to cross just yet.

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Edited by - NewMoon on Jun 13 2010 11:03:53

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 12 2010 :  14:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Richard:

How did you get a big boat like yours into Five Windows Cove?

Where are you staying in Rupert? I have resorted to docking at Port Edwards and taking the bus to town, or anchoring out in Russell Arm or Pillsbury Cove and dinghying in to Cow Bay or Fairview.

We are locked to the dock today (June 12) too.

OS

NewMoon

RO# 29151

Posted - Jun 13 2010 :  11:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi OS,

Five Windows Cove isn't too tough for our 26-footer - we go slow and watch carefully. If we need bombproof, it fills the bill. We tend to prefer Fury Island Cove when the weather's reasonable.

I'm tied up at the PRRYC. Getting a bit spendy the last few years, but it sure is convenient. We typically tie up there or anchor in Pillsbury Cove.

Yesterday was PR's Seafest, with lots of goings-on in town. The sun even came out for the afternoon! Went to look at all the hot rods lined up on Third(?) avenue, then later listened to the burn-out contest and watched the smoke from the boat.

Tomorrow's Dixon Entrance East forecast is 5-15. We plan to pull out at 0-dark-thirty (actually we'll wait until we hear the 4AM forecast, make coffee, and can see well enough to avoid floating wood, etc).

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  14:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 6 - Saturday, June 5

Forecast for Central at 4 am: S 10-20 > L this aft. > NW 10-15 this eve. > NW 15-20 Sun aft.
LH reports 4:30 am : Boat Bluff - calm; McInnes I - SE10; Addenbroke I - SE2. Very quiet in Five Windows Cove.
This is a "GO". Toured Pierce Bay I. Anch., Namu, and stopped mid-day at Kisameet Bay for lunch, a kayak paddle (great), crab pots (skunked), drinks with Ria Sea (Glenfiddich 15 y.o. ... mmmm!)

Namu (West to East)

Ria Sea in Kisameet Bay with Fitz Sound to the West.

Whale sighting in Kisameet Bay.

Serious kayaking individual intently studying the shoreline in Kisameet Bay.

We will get away to New Bella Bella/Shearwater tomorrow and stay at the floats so we can get to a mechanic first thing Monday, to check out a house battery charging problem for Ria Sea.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  14:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  09:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 7 - Sunday, June 6

Kisameet Bay to New Bella Bella/Shearwater

Clear sky w some slow moving clouds. Water surface in anchorage is just rippled. Going to New Bella Bella and then Shearwater this morning. Try to get a mechanic for Ria Sea for Monday morning.
Beautiful, sunny, warm, day. Just a light breeze at Dryad Point.

Fitz Hugh Sound

Entrance to Codville Lagoon

Toured Codville Lagoon. Anchorage at East end.

East entrance to Lama Passage.

Lots of boats headed up the north leg of Lama Passage. No water, no fuel available at Waglisla on Sunday. Went to the Grocery Store and took some eagle photos from the wharf.
A commercial fisherman had dumped some fish heads on the shore to put on a show for the tourist folks.

New Bella Bella Harbour.

Half a dozen well fed eagles. One flying.

This guy was sitting on a piling beside the fuel wharf. Another eagle was circling him with the intent to take over the roost.

It ain't gonna' happen on this go-round!

Went to Shearwater. Shearwater Marine open at 8 am tomorrow. No Marine store, grocery store, WIFI, on Sunday. Registered moorage at the hotel. Laundry open. Used it.

We have arrived in New Bella Bella/Shearwater in 1 week, covering about 330 nm, passing the barriers of Seymour Narrows, Johnstone Strait, and Cape Caution, in just about perfect conditions, and have banked 14 days for sidetrips.

We will set out, when we are able, to Klemtu and return to Shearwater on or before June 20 leaving a couple of days for a sidetrip to Ocean Falls. The forecast for the next 4 days has a minimum wind of NW or W 15 knots.

OS

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  09:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must be really enjoying yourself OS. Very nice pics. Price of fuel is what? Helps in calculating the price difference from down here for future trips.

1978 Glasply 28' mid-cabin, repowered, remodeled, rewired, rebuilt, replaced, repaired, oh well you get the picture! It's my full time job now that I'm retired.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  13:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill V.:

I have paid up to $1.23 Cdn. per litre for diesel fuel.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  08:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 8 - Monday, June 7

At Shearwater.

I had the opportunity to renew the acquaintance with my friend, the mechanic who fixed the clutch last summer.

Photos of Shearwater approaches. The NE approach from Gunboat Passage.

The NW approach from New Bella Bella (Waglisla).

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jun 25 2010 15:30:24

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  09:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bueatiful photography OS. Thoroughly enjoy seeing these. You should write a book about "small boats to Alaska/Inside passage".

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  09:50:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's gonna' be called "Small Fast Boats to the North Pole", Bill.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep them coming O.S., I am enjoying this.

Weekender

RO# 24424

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  10:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following you all the way...enjoying the trip! Got lost a couple times, using the "Atlas of Canada" that you posted in the past. Thanks

Homeport: Sitka, Alaska Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  21:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops, got a late start but I'm following ya now OS. Always enjoys your trip pixs with commentarys. Love the Eagle pixs!!

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  17:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 9 - Tuesday, June 8

Shearwater to New Bella Bella
New Bella Bella to Rescue Bay

We have 13 banked days to spend in this general area, before heading back south of Cape Caution. We elected to first visit the next major fuel/water supply on the IP at Klemtu, and some of the useful anchorages on the IP north of here.

Photos of Dryad Point, Weather Reporting Lighthouse on Seaforth Channel just north of New Bella Bella.

Ivory Island, Weather Reporting Lighthouse on Seaforth Channel on the east side of Milbanke Sound.

Carne Rock in Reid Passage. Reid Passage flows north on both the flood and the ebb.
Go figure.

Mathiesen Channel, view north.

Ria Sea in Rescue Bay. View north up Mathiesen Channel.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  09:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 10 - Wednesday, June 9

Rescue Bay to Klemtu.

Klemtu Longhouse

Klemtu to Bottleneck Inlet

Boat Bluff Weather Reporting Lighthouse.

Bottleneck Inlet entrance

Bottleneck Inlet head.

Bottleneck Inlet Rainbows.

OS

Volffas

RO# 30980

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  12:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very pretty. Thanks for posting the pictures.

2007 Yamaha AR230 "Nine Songs Too"
1989 Carver Montego 2157 "Nine Songs" SOLD
1972 Sea Snark "Four and a half Songs"

Everyone tried to tell me not to buy a boat. Now they want a ride in it!

Homeport: Alexandria, KY Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  13:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Volffas:

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Nice to have you along for the ride.

I really like your tag line. Been There!

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  13:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you caught up, Brad!

I wish I could get the whales and dolphins to sit still when I'm snappin'!

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  09:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 11 - Thursday, June 10

Bottleneck Inlet to Boat Bluff.

We headed back to Boat Bluff with the idea of heading out to Laredo Inlet via Meyer's Passage.
We passed through a lot of debris in Finlayson Channel, including a lot of leafy kelp. The high temperature alarm went off for the starboard engine about two-thirds of the way over and we ran from Boat Bluff to Klemtu on the port engine for last part.

When we met up with Ria Sea we decided to head back to Klemtu. Cleaned two very dirty Salt Water strainers, and added distilled water to the very low SB coolant reservoir. Removed the plate over the impeller, and examined the impeller in place with a mirror and flashlight. It seemed o.k. so closed the plate. I ran the engines at the dock and the SB coolant temperature did not rise dramatically, but the port coolant hit high temperatures. Shut down and decided to go to Shearwater on the SB engine.

Klemtu to Lambard Inlet on the way to Shearwater on the Starboard engine.

Day 12 - Friday, June 11

Lambard Inlet to Shearwater on starboard engine.

Photos of Carne Rock in Reid Passage at low water, approaching from the north.

My friend, the Mechanic of Shearwater, fixed the High Temperature problem on Port engine. It was great listening to him talk to himself as he analysed his way through the Saltwater and Coolant systems until he pinpointed the problem and isolated the heat exchanger as the culprit, and then collected chunks of "gunk" from the i/s of the heat exchanger, that had accumulated over the last 10 years.. When he put everything back together and announced "let's take a ride!", I was more than ready to power up and record the coolant temps as he checked for leaks and his hands moved from one hose to the next, checking temperatures.

The Port side coolant did not overheat and we are ready to go tomorrow.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  23:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 13 - Saturday, June 12

At Shearwater because of the wind.
no pics

Day 14 - Sunday, June 13

From Shearwater to Five Meter Hole in Tate Lagoon.
no pics

Day 15 - Monday, June 14

Photos of Tate Lagoon Five Meter Hole at zero water.

Short 8 nm trip from Tate Lagoon to Wigham Cove was just enough to give the batteries a boost.
We are the only boats in Wigham Cove at 4 pm. Occupied the SW corner.

Reflections in Wigham Cove.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  13:43:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 16 - Tuesday, June 15

Short run to New Bella Bella for fuel and water, before heading up Troup Passage to Discovery Cove.

View NE in Troup Passage on the way to Discovery Cove on the South side.

Discovery Cove sea critter.

View North from the anchorage.

The NE Guardian.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  10:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 17 - Wednesday, June 16

Troup Passage Narrows at slack LW 10:40 am and across Return Channel to Briggs Inlet.

Took a photo of the entrance to the Troup Passage Islands anchorage on the way.

Late morning overcast sky in Emily Bay, half-way up Briggs Inlet.

View east from the anchorage at Emily Bay.

An Emily Bay example of hydroponics at work in the B.C. rain forest.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 18 - Thursday, June 17

Emily Bay to Elcho Harbour

Sir Alexander MacKenzie Memorial outside Elcho Harbour.

"From Canada, By Land..."

Elcho Harbour Entrance from the anchorage

The river valley at the head of Elcho Harbour.

Ria Sea protected from the west wind in Elcho Harbour.

The known Universe's biggest Flowerbox is located in Elcho Harbour.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  08:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 19 - Friday, June 18

Sunrise in Elcho Harbour. View south to the entrance.

Arriving at Ocean Falls.

B.C. Ferry makes the first visit of 2010 to Ocean Falls..

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:41:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 20 - Saturday, June 19

Like the sign says ...

Ocean Falls tourists on the loose.

The Dam provides electricity to Ocean Falls, its "suburb" Martin Valley, Shearwater, and New Bella Bella. Power House at the bottom of the falls.

The dam forms Link Lake and this is the launch ramp for recreational boaters!

The log barrier prevents recreational boaters from taking "The Last Boat Trip" over the falls.

Ria Sea and Stalwyn at "The Shack". Free WIFI on the floats and a computer supplied in "The Shack".

OS

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  09:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are in some beautiful country. Just wow.

Will load the truck here in about 30 minutes and head towards Anacortes. Expect to throw lines later today and turn the compass something resembling north. I plan to be back home when the calendar reads August.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GORGEOUS!

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

BillV

RO# 17370

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  21:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics OS. Especially like the pics of the two of you and the "shack". Someday.............................................................................................................

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  23:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillV

Great pics OS. Especially like the pics of the two of you and the "shack". Someday.............................................................................................................

Ditto, my weekend will consist of a less then 3 hour tour. But at least the weather looks OK.

Thanks again for sharing OS, big thumbs up.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 21 - Sunday, June 20

Leaving Ocean Falls 8 am with a good forecast for 2 days and planning on overnight tonight in Beales Bay, a cozy anchorage off Gunboat Passage, on the way back to Shearwater to top up fuel for the start of the return trip. Fill Water tank at Ocean Falls.

Photos of the lagoon entrance from Beales Bay.

Photos from the kayak in Beales Bay lagoon entrance.

Beales Bay Lagoon side entrance.

Didn't make it into the lagoon on this trip.

OS

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Roche harbor trails. Topic Next Topic: Two weeks off  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.59 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com