BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Inside Passage 2010 - Stalwyn
Previous Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Roche harbor trails. Topic Next Topic: Two weeks off
Page: of 2

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  07:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 22 - Monday, June 21

Morning reflections at Beales Bay.

Heading Home: Anchor up and underway by 7 am. Fuel at Shearwater; filled water tank at New Bella Bella.

Set the anchor by 10:25 am for the o/n at Campbell I Inlet, 37 min. after the HW of 11.2'. The weather turned out nice in the afternoon after a drizzly early morning.
Kayak paddle around the SW corner of the anchorage and tried for a look into the lagoon, but the tide at 11.2' wasn't high enough.

Morning HT in the Inlet wasn't sufficient to get through the Narrows into the Lagoon. A cruising book writer writes that the lagoon only fills on spring tides. The afternoon low was 6.2' at 3:20 pm and the following high was 14.4' at 9:43 pm. Does that 8.2' rise qualify as a "spring tide"? ??

I am going to get in.

Just inside the entrance ...

The Keeper of the Campbell Island Inlet Lagoon. "Ya' can't get in widout a ticket, Buddy!"
I wasn't going to mess with a guy who is talking out of both sides of his mouth at the same time, so I paid for a ticket. He accepted VISA.

Photos inside Campbell Island Inlet Lagoon on the evening HT of 14.4'.

There was a seal in the lagoon!

I had to wait a little bit to get back out. The sun was going down.

The salt water flow into the lagoon wasn't letting me out. The cruising book writer got it wrong ... again. I believed what he had written ... again.

The Keeper was having a good laugh at my predicament. Note the water level inside the lagoon has only risen by a fraction of an inch. The water outside in the Inlet has risen above the lagoon level and I have to wait for the outside level to drop to the point where I can paddle out against the current.

Back at Stalwyn by 11:29 pm.

OS

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  19:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  08:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 23 - Tuesday, June 22

Morning in Campbell Island Inlet.
We must leave on the rising tide leading to the 11:03 am HW tide of 11.4'.

Heading for overnight at the McNaughton Group. I love staying in the McNaughtin Group.
Nobody else wanted to stay.
Elected to continue South around Superstition Pt. and all the way to LeWall Inlet for the o/n.

LeWall Inlet reflections.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  09:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 24 - Wednesday, June 23

We chose the route down east in Hakai Passage and south in Fitz Hugh Sound so that we could evaluate Goldstream Harbour, at their junction, as a future overnight anchorage. Nice view to the east.

We stopped at Fury Cove on the west side of Penrose I. for the night, because it is such a pretty setting and offers a direct run around Cape Caution.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 25 - Thursday, June 24

Analysed the trip South around Cape Caution, the day before and prior to departure. At 4:15 am the Central Coast forecast was SW 10 and Queen Charlotte Strait was a Strong Wind Warning, NW 5-10, going to NW 15-20 early this evening. At 4:30 am Egg Island was overcast, visibility 9 nm, rain, SW 4, sea rippled. That's a BIG GO! Underway at 6 am to stay the day in Miles Inlet, because it's a nice place to stay.

Good Day's Travel From Fury I Cove to Miles Inlet.
Anchored by 8:30 am.

Took lots of pics:

Ma Nature's Art Work in Miles Inlet

North Lagoon

Reflections from the anchorage in Miles Inlet.

OS

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  20:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reflection pixs are just awesome !!

My last weekend out I found an over heat problem on my starboard motor at higher RPMs, it's been determined to be the tranny gear cooler. I have it at a shop now , should get it back by the weekend so I can throw it on and water test. Were taking off for 2 weeks next Friday and I hope the heck this is behind me.

Edited by - navman on Jul 13 2010 20:55:39

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  22:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad:

There are way too many heat exchangers on a twin engine boat!

Hope you get a trouble free two weeks of boating.

OS

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  22:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently sitting in Nanaimo, likely will head across SOG Thurs. Have not decided where to stop yet.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  00:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ghost:

Let me know if you are going to stop in at Secret Cove or Pender Harbour on Thursday/Friday. I'll be the guy standing beside your boat, arms folded, not saying anything, just nodding my head and grinning. You know the drill.

Check your PM's.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 26 - Friday, June 25

Miles Inlet to Port McNeill

The morning ebb from the North Lagoon in Miles Inlet builds up a lot of foam at the anchorages near the "T".

Got a break in the weather for an almost perfect crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait to Port McNeill.

OS

rduhon

RO# 29321

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely amazing.

Homeport: Lake Charles, La Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rduhon:

Anchoring at the "T" gives a great view down the 4 arms, but we gave it over to Ria Sea for this visit so they could watch the swells from the Sound dissipate in the narrow entrance to the Inlet.

With 3 lagoons to occupy the kayak paddlers, it is a special place to stop overnight on your way around Cape Caution.

OS

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  13:10:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'm going to Pender tomorrow (thurs) since at about 8.5 knots I need to make some distance. I have not been there by water before. What's the best place to stay?

DDL

RO# 368

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  22:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're anchoring try Garden Bay. Good holding and lots of room. There is supposed to be a new Marina there as well.

Dan
'06 S/4300 Tiara
CARUS

Homeport: Everett,WA Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  10:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dan. Got up this morning, and the freakin wind is blowing. Some guys out at Whiskey Golf are complaining about "lots of slop". What I don't need is 4 hours of beam seas on a round bottom boat. Going to head up town to get one of those light Canadian breakfasts.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  12:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 27 - Saturday, June 26

At Port McNeill. Got the belt to the house battery alternator tightened up to provide better contact and some increased charging of the batteries at idle and low rpm's. We arranged to catch the 1:10 pm B.C. Ferry to Sointula on Malcolm Island for about a 3 hour walking visit, getting back to Port McNeill after 5 pm.

B.C. Ferry landing in Sointula.

So ... You think YOU can build a fence! Nice Sointula yard fence, ... but I don't think it keeps the deer out of the yard.

Very pretty, coy young streetwalker in Sointula.

Sointula harbour.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 28 - Sunday, June 27

FQCN13 CWVR 271100 Marine forecasts for Pacific waters issued by Environment Canada at 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday 27 June 2010 for today tonight and Monday. The next scheduled forecasts will be issued at 10:30 a.m.
Queen Charlotte Strait. Wind northwest 10 to 15 knots becoming variable 5 to 15 after midnight then increasing to southeast 15 to 20 Monday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 10 to 15 Monday afternoon. A few showers.
FQCN53 CWVR 271100 Extended marine forecasts for Pacific waters issued by Environment Canada at 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday 27 June 2010 for Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday. The next scheduled forecasts will be issued at 4:00 p.m. .
Johnstone Strait; Queen Charlotte Strait.
Tuesday..Wind southeast 10 to 15 knots.
Wednesday..Wind northwest 5 to 15 knots.
Thursday..Wind northwest 5 to 15 knots.

Lighthouse reports from Egg I., Pine I., and Pulteney Pt. at 7:40 am indicated a fair chance of a good trip across Queen Charlotte Strait to the north shore and the waterways on that side.

We deferred to the "Norwegian Star" just south of the Numas Islands.

Day 29 - Monday, June 28

Left Napier Bay after lunch in order to get the rising tide for entry into Nimmo Bay at 4:10 pm.
Was just about to take a kayak paddle around Nimmo Bay in serene high water early evening conditions when the wind came up and the rain came down.

Best part of the evening was the sunset over Nimmo Bay ... even in the pouring rain.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  08:16:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 30 - Tuesday, June 29

Quiet, dry morning in Nimmo Bay.

Headed out on the rising tide in the late afternoon, in order to avoid going against the flood, for East Carter Passage in Greenway Sound, where we can expect to meet very few boats anchoring out, since most boats in the immediate area will stay ay Greenway Sound floats.

Stalwyn lost the house bank alternator, before reaching Greenway Sound and retreated to Sullivan Bay, where a call to the Marina resulted in a mechanic meeting us at the floats, placing the replacement alternator in place, and a spot on the floats with WIFI so the Young_Mrs. Salt could catch up on the Wimbledon results.

The Sullivan Bay Float House Community.

Rainy, wet sunset in Sullivan Bay.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  09:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 31 - Wednesday, June 30

Met up with Ria Sea outside Greenway Sound, watched some dolphins play in Penphrase Passage, and anchored in Waddington Bay before noon for the overnight. Great place for a kayak paddle (all around the Bay, and around the islands in the approach to the Bay.

Company at anchor in the "outer sanctum" of Waddington Bay.

Stalwyn in the "Inner Sanctum" with depths down to 5' at low water.

OS

Edited by - Old_Salt on Jul 18 2010 09:11:32

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  10:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 32 - Thursday, July 1

Waddington Bay to Mound Island anchorage.

Very light am winds in Waddington Bay, but a steady drizzle continued.
Johnstone Strait has high afternoon winds forecasted through to Monday, July 5.

View to the West in Spring Passage in the early morning.

Crossing Knight Inlet, north to south near Mamalilaculla. View up inlet to the east.

View to the west in Knight Inlet.

Entering Mound Island anchorage, little Mama looks us over and then checks on the kids.

They ignore us. They are munchin'. (one is above the other, near the center of the pic.)

We got a visit from a couple of little "gulps".

They primped and preened, and strutted their stuff, but when they didn't get any handouts, they took off, leaving little "gifts" under the rails.

We had a nice evening sunset at Mound Island.

Those three came out nicely, didn't they?

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 20 2010 :  08:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 33 - Friday, July 2

Mound Island to Boughey Bay.

The morning weather report indicated we were in for a blow today in the Queen Charlotte Strait/Johnstone Strait area, with light winds Saturday morning until noon, and then 3 more days of high winds. We moved closer to Johnstone Strait in order to make a run in the very am tomorrow.

Working crab boat in Mound Island anchorage.

The midden at Matilpi in Havannah Channel.

View South toward Johnstone Strait from the Boughey Bay anchorage.

Boughey Bay sunset. View to the north.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  08:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 34 - Saturday, July 3

Boughey Bay sunrise over the eastern hills.

The early morning weather report was a "good to go" southbound in Johnstone Strait.
Anchor up and underway at 6:10 am.

Approaching Greene Point and the rapids. Nice view to the east in Cordero Channel. The mountain to the east here is quite spectacular.

The approach to the Blind Channel floats from Cordero Channel.

We always enjoy a walk up the trail to the Big Snag and the Big Cedar, when we visit Blind Channel.

Looking up, along the trail.

The big Snag, with Young_Mrs. Salt looking rather tiny alongside..

The BIG Cedar, with Young_Mrs. Salt alongside the dedications to the founders of Blind Channel Resorts.

The BIG Cedar, top to bottom.

OS

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  17:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your pictures are fantastic. Keep em coming.

Met 4 different folks in 30 Commanders the past couple days. That's one great boat.

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  09:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 35 - Sunday, July 4

Held off on departure from Blind Channel until Jennifer had fulfilled our request of "one dozen cinammon rolls to go, please". Worth waiting for IMO. Got a volume discount!

Entered Anchorage Lagoon for the overnight with Chatham Point, just 5 nm away, howling at NW 35 with 4' chop, and a light wind inside the lagoon slowly turning us to all the compass points.

Day 36 - Monday, July 5

Morning forecast for Discovery Passage was "no go". The weather reports from Grief Point improved to the "no grief point" and we elected to run the Yucultas on the last of the flood and sprint for home a week early.

Anchorage Lagoon fisherman.

View north in Nodales Channel to Frederick Arm.

Proceeded at a liesurely 6 knots north on Nodales and east on Cordero to arrive at Dent Rapids and the Devil's Hole about an hour before the TTE. A little turbulence at Devil's Hole but just enough to keep us awake.

Parted company with Ria Sea at the south end of the Yucultas/east end of Hole-in-the-Wall. They will spend another week in the Octopus Islands and Malaspina Inlet.

Anchorage Lagoon to Secret Cove, 85 nm over 6 hours.
Home at Secret Cove by 4 pm.

Nice trip. 998 nm over 5 weeks. Good company with Ria Sea "tagging along".

Thanks to you for also keeping us company.

"COASTAL REFLECTIONS" , a quilted wall hanging, by Young_Mrs. Salt

OS

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Roche harbor trails. Topic Next Topic: Two weeks off  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.56 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com