BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 197 ]  [ Total: 198 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Hynautic h50 helm
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: rwc flow volume Topic Next Topic: removing risers  

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - May 31 2010 :  14:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have blown a seal at the top of the helm unit. i have fluid leaking from the base of the steering shaft as it leaves the helm. I am ordering a seal kit, but dont have a manual.

Does anyone have the schematic for these units? or is it straight foward as i start disassembling. i pulled the helm today and want the boat for next weekend. thanks

Homeport: long island, n.y.

Northern Lights

RO# 32024

Posted - May 31 2010 :  20:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just resealed mine.
1. Remove steering wheel, then remove 4 screws holding unit in place.
2. Mark lines to insure they are replaced to the correct fitting, I used colored zip ties. Remove lines, I put them in a baggie to keep debris out & catch any oil.
3. Remove the 4 bolts holding the line manifold to the housing, pay attention to the timing marks, mine had x stamped on each part. This has to be replaced in the same position.
4. Tap on the shaft to remove internal parts, the shaft is keyed to the rotating assy. The individual pistons do not have to be removed from the rotating assy. you can see in the housing a plastic part with what looks like ball bearings imbedded in it, the quadring & backup are behind it. The seal kit will have extra parts, match what comes out of yours.
5. 2 pieces to seal shaft & 3 orings on rotating assy. When installing the rotating assy. check the pistons they are machined on the end to pass over the bearings when the wheel is turned, the groove should be aligned on all pistons to match the curve of the bearings.
6. Evenly tighten bolts, do not forget the timing marks. Replace lines, helm & wheel.
7. Bleeding- fill tank & charge with air to 30 psi.
Remove bolts where ram attaches to rudders, make sure bleeders are on top, crack until no air comes out, tighten.
Loosen the relief valves, mine were under the oil tank.
Turn the wheel 60 times to port then 60 to SB 1 turn in
2-3 seconds. That should purge the air in system.
Hook the ram up, check the oil level in tank & air psi,
add as needed. Try it out, if it feels jerky it may need to
bleed again, I bleed mine twice to remove all air.
I got the required oil from a shop at the airport near the
Marina in Burlington, Ia. That's as close as I can recall
fix. Took about 2 hours to do.

Northern Lights
Bayliner 3870

Homeport: Kansas Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  05:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very very much for such a detailed response. Hope my project goes as smooth as yours.

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Jun 01 2010 :  08:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I re-built my Hynautic last year the kit came with very good pictures and instructions. You'll be fine.

Tom
41' President

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

zane

RO# 19940

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  21:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered my seal kit from boatfix on tuesday, and it was at the house thursday. Friday after work I disassembled the helm and installed the seals. I have to say for a 25 year old helm, it looked really good in there.I guess the fact that all the parts were soaking in hydraulic fluid helped! I bled the system twice. We took a quick shakedown ride friday night and spent the day cruising today. Took me about 2 1/2 hrs total. I would suggest that anyone doing this use a gear puller to get the steering wheel off.Glad I have one.

Thanks for everyones input.

Homeport: long island, n.y. Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: rwc flow volume Topic Next Topic: removing risers  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com