BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Diesel fuel treatments???
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sea Cock Valves Topic Next Topic: Help Gulf South Fishermen  

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  09:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my gas boat I would stabilize in the fall but never bothered with anything in season since I went through 4-6 full tanks so the fuel was always pretty fresh. Never had a problem.

But now with much larger (400gal total) diesel tanks I anticipate filling up maybe twice per season (I hope!). At any rate, what are thoughts on adding additives in season? I know I don't have to worry about the ethenol issue but I also know diesels are very sensitive to clean fuel and there can be issues with water as well as organic growth in the tanks.

So, do you use or recommend a diesel fuel treatment with each fill up, and if so, what is the preferred kind/brand?
1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  09:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Biobor and Pri-D.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:50:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, there are a lot of people who swear by Marvey Mystery Oil. I know it's not a stabilizing product, but neverless, highly recommended by many people.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  10:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the Startron additive for 3 years without issues.

Main thing is to keep your filters clean. I change the primaries at least once per season and I keep a spare set on the boat in case of emergencies.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

AbsoLoot

RO# 3617

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too use Startron and have been using it since it was originally Soltron (~10 years). Stopped the diesel soot on the back of the boat and have had zero fuel problems.

Blue Skies,
Dave

As light fades, vision increases
Blind people have vision!

Homeport: California Delta & SF Bay Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AbsoLoot

I too use Startron and have been using it since it was originally Soltron (~10 years). Stopped the diesel soot on the back of the boat and have had zero fuel problems.

Interesting on the soot, because I do get some of that aft of the side exhausts...

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  11:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as Catpn Bill1.

Biobor JF for the bugs and Pri-D to preserve the quality of the fuel.

My racors are clear and the filters stay nice.

I wish Boatfix would start selling Pri-D. It is good stuff.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Edited by - Robyns Nest on Jun 07 2010 11:22:44

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  12:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Sea Foam for reduced sooting and general keeping tanks clean and free of water.

Gary Peck 1997 Bayliner 3988 MY, twin 330 Cummins

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List

Homeport: Toronto, Lake Ontario Go to Top of Page

Silver Lining

RO# 29390

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  13:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use BioBore JF in the fuel to prevent growth and Startron for winter layup or longer periods of no use.

-Rick

Viking Sport Cruiser 50 FY
"Silver Lining"

-Rick

Viking Sport Cruiser 50FY
"Silver Lining"

Homeport: Chesapeake, MD Go to Top of Page

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jun 07 2010 :  22:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use anything if I'm running through the fuel in a couple months time. I've never clogged a filter, had any issue with "bugs" and my fuel tanks stay bone dry, despite the fact that I rarely keep them full. Truth is, 99% of the stories you hear about diesel treatments are rubbish. "Agae" does not really grow in diesel because of water, its asphaltines which are caused by old fuel, mostly because people are always carrying around way more fuel than they will ever burn and it causes them to wind up with a lot of aging fuel breaking down. They do this because of the often repeated stories about condensation and needing to keep your tanks full. More rubbish. Make sure your tank vents are directed aft (not taking on water through spray). Ensure that your fuel fills have intact sealing o-rings and concentrate on cycling through the fuel you have on board. Make a point of running the tanks low enough to splash up sediment in the bottom and routinely change out your fuel filters whenever you stir up the tanks when a little low. This way, wtshtf, you will have fresh fuel, clean tanks and little chance of plugging a filter unexpectedly.

Recently I've run some Stanadyne through the tanks to eke out a few more hours on a set of injectors I'd like to have overhauled.

I use additives occasionally, but only when I have a specific reason. I never add something just for the sake of adding something.

What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa Go to Top of Page

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  05:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Ghost. When I use something, I use Pri-D. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I could get it relatively cheap at Sailorman in FTL, so I use it every so often. Detroit Diesel does not recommend any additives, other than something like Bio-Bor if the boat is going to be stored awhile... what does your engine manufacturer recommend? Best thing is to run your boat, maintain the engines and buy fresh fuel from high volume docks. If you have a soot problem, perhaps your props are over pitched; I never got soot out of my old Detroits until I threw a spare pair on that had another 2" over the regular set.. and then just a very fine coat. Lack of engine PM could also be an issue. Better to cure the root cause than apply band aids.

George
Hatteras 56MY
Boston Whaler 130 Sport

Edited by - caltexfla on Jun 08 2010 05:52:25

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  06:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you need to add anything to your diesel fuel?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  08:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

The manual that came with my boat included a statement from Volvo (engine) and Bosch (injectors) that in one sentence stated that fuel additives were not recommended, and in the next sentence recommended additives because of EPA rules reducing the amount of sulphur in diesel fuel.

Stanadyne was one of the recommended additives so I've been using it along with Startron.

I haven't had any fuel related problems, but I might not have if I had used nothing.

An Algae-X dealer working on another boat at the marina said that Stanadyne and Startron were "junk" and I should be using Algae-X.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  08:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aahh, this is what I love about boats. On some subjects everyone is on the same page and on others, well...

I like the suggestion of checking with the manufacturer. And I appreciate the suggestions about cycling through fuel to make sure it's always fresh. My boat is 20 years old. And I have no idea what might be at the bottom of those tanks. I suppose I could have the fuel polished. That would be a topic for another day. I doubt that any of the more common fuel additives would do any real harm. But I'm inclined not to waste my money either.

As for the soot, I don't think I have a "problem". There was some soot on the aft corners of the boat just back from the side exhaust after running the boat for 6.5hrs on her delivery home. I was not under the impression this was a problem.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

In the know

RO# 20824

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  08:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cwms

For what it's worth, there are a lot of people who swear by Marvey Mystery Oil. I know it's not a stabilizing product, but neverless, highly recommended by many people.

A very close friend of mine owns an excavating company and he adds Marvel Mystery Oil every delivery - swears by it.

The way I see it, he has a lot more on the line than us.

--------------------------------------------------------

The enemy of society - the HUTAL

Homeport: The Ocean State Go to Top of Page

rawidman

RO# 25110

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  09:05:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we have to consider that if your engine was designed when high suphur fuel was the norm and low sulpur fuel is the norm now, something may need to be added just like the case years ago when lead was removed from automotive fuels.

I have heard of all sorts of things being added to diesel fuel (including gasoline) and the person always swears by it, but I'll be sticking with name brand products designed to address an issue.

Ron
2000 Camano Troll

Homeport: Charleston, SC Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  14:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by In the know

quote:

A very close friend of mine owns an excavating company and he adds Marvel Mystery Oil every delivery - swears by it.

I've been told that Bob Smith, The TOP Guru when it comes to Ford Lehmans and pretty knowledgable on other brands as well, is an advocate for MMO. Whether just for Lehmans or diesels in general, I can't say.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

absolute

RO# 31985

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  16:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prospective

Find an additive that addresses water - Water is the food source for the bugs. There are hundreds of snake oil products on the market that 'claim' to do this and that but very few address the real problem, water.

After cleaning hundreds of fuel tanks, from boats, generators, farm & construction equipment, trucks - you name it, water is the real demon. I can make recommendation as to what I see is the most effective, feel free to drop me a PM.

Absolute,

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"

Absolute

"Suckin Sludge & Havin a Gas"

Homeport: fl Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  16:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by In the know

quote:

I've been told that Bob Smith, The TOP Guru when it comes to Ford Lehmans and pretty knowledgable on other brands as well, is an advocate for MMO. Whether just for Lehmans or diesels in general, I can't say.

He recommended it as an additional lubricant for the injection pump as I recall.

I ran/maintained many, many different Lehmans for a total of thousands of hours and never did use the MMO trick. And I can only remember one boat that had injector pump problems. (Weird one, twin engine boat and both pumps failed at the exact same time.)

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  19:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

I add diesel power for lubricity, the lower sulfer content was/is harder on pumps and injectors (so I been told) so I add for that reason.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Sea Cock Valves Topic Next Topic: Help Gulf South Fishermen  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.5 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com