BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: RPM33 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Issues with a Garmin 182C Map
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Who has been called for a random drug test? Topic Next Topic: Attention HAMS... Very special event station.  

vv1212w

RO# 12327

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  11:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was heading home last week from Harbor Beach in Lake Huron to Jefferson Beach Marina in St Clair Shores, MI when the screen on my 182C went black. Tried to restart several time. Still black. The next day I checked the voltage input and it was getting power but still would not power up. I called Garmin service about sending it to them for repairs and was told because the 182C is discontinued they no longer offer repair. Great! No, not great. It's 7 years old and I like it and understand it. It is also housed in a pod on my dash and if I buy a more current model it won't fit in the pod. I plan to find a replacement 182C but only one is available on the internet at Amazon for $599. This is a great educated forum and I thought as a last gasp someone may have encountered the same issue with a 182C. Any ideas?

Bill Veit
"Another Thou"
St Clair Shores, MI.

Homeport: mi

Estimator

RO# 23140

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  13:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I have the same unit. A couple of years ago there were several of us on the board with this unit that experienced a sudden black screen, all about the same time and in different parts of the country. I tried to find the thread but couldn’t.

IIRC, The comments ranged from a contact with Gamin and a need for a software update to address capabilities of the new gps satellites that came on line about that time, military tests, and one poster noted that his unit really didn’t turn off, just the screen went dark as in the dimming setting went to full dark.

It was strange for a week or so, and a hard reset brought it back to life several times. Mine has not repeated this behavior since.

I think there is a way to “hard reset” it to its original settings by use of the buttons, but my manual is in the boat and I don't remember exactly what it was.

I know this doesn’t help much

Stan

"In Heat"
1997 Bayliner Capri 2350 LS SE, 454, Bravo III
"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke."
-Will Rogers-

Homeport: Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma Go to Top of Page

chucksberg2

RO# 31178

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  00:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check ebay, a 182c ends today, around 200, and a 188c is at 300. The 188 has the same form factor and is "new".

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

pocket change

RO# 31212

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  11:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My GPS152 did the same thing. I found a refurbished one on E-bay from a dealer in CA. He even threw in a new external antenna. My old one had an internal antenna.

Homeport: stony point bay marina ny Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Who has been called for a random drug test? Topic Next Topic: Attention HAMS... Very special event station.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.67 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     

boat-ed.com
Boatered.com