BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 75 ]  [ Newest Member: cepaul ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Harken roller furling how to rig
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Jamaican Sloop on NatGeo. Topic Next Topic: Vanuatu and pics  

Graeme2004

RO# 16100

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  10:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we have what must be an old harken roller furling, it only has a swivel top and bottom of forestay, no solid rod. The jib zippers up the forestay and the line runs from bottom of furler, up through the zipper and back to bottom of furler. We cannot figure out exactly how to rig this one, any ideas? The boat is a Martin 242... Graeme
Graeme

Homeport:

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  10:56:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not many sailors here. This will probably get booted, but go over to sailnet dot com and ask your question. You'll get a quick response.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess you would need a good stiff leading edge to the sail for it to wrap around itself. I have never seen a roller furler with out the rod. Interesting.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

solar

RO# 12803

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  14:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not remember seeing a furling system without a foil to rap the sail around on the forestay. I had a Harken system on a previous boat but now have a Profurl. Both with a foil.
Since your boat is small and assuming it has a short mast I would imagine it could be wound around the forestay.

SOLAR

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Graeme2004

RO# 16100

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  09:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the advice, it was the first time I had ever seen a full length zipper running the length of all the jibs... Graeme

Graeme

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

hrand

RO# 8788

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  11:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This system was sold, by Harken, for use on small traierable boats.
Best advise would be to contact them at their Pewaukee, Wisconsin headquarters.
They are extrmely helpful.

Homeport: LAKE RED ROCK Go to Top of Page

Captjim

RO# 19483

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  00:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds like a genaker furler. This is to furl a assemetrical spinaker. This sail is not attached along the luff of the sail, but wound around the stay

May the wind be fair and on aft quarter and your course directly on the nose.

Homeport: Toledo, OH, HVYC Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Jamaican Sloop on NatGeo. Topic Next Topic: Vanuatu and pics  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com