BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 150 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Georgia Blues (Strait of)
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: I Think These Qualify For This Forum! Topic Next Topic: Roche harbor trails.  

Ghost

RO# 689

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, were back on the west side of the Strait of Georgia again. We crossed over initially on Friday I think. Went up to Princess Louisa, which was fantastic, then back.

The wind has been blowing pretty consistently for over a week. We tried to wait a couple days originally in Nanaimo and the wind only slightly calmed down. We had just nasty 4-6 foot conditions on both crossings (with of course a few gems thrown in for fun). Just got into Silva bay today and all I can say is that I'm just tired after another 4 hours of 6 foot seas.

Unfortunately, I missed Old Salt. I had planned to stop in Secret bay, but on both crossings we wanted to make further headway and kept going. Maybe next time.

Funny thing happened. I stopped in Egmont Backedddy, and thought that I had never been there before. I'm walking around looking for the laundry and I see the door to the dive shack. I says to myself "hmmm, I seem to recall collapsing in that doorway". I never forget a place that tried to kill me. Unfortunatley, they were all out of t shirts.

Apparently....I've been to the Egmont Backeddy resort before....:)
What part of GALE WARNING did you not understand?

Homeport: Everett Wa

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  14:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coming back from Roche Harbor Saturday evening winds were very light and water was like glass. However after passing Sucia with the winds still light, we got struck but two and three footers coming down Georgia. Thinking to myself that it must be blowing up north abit. After passing Birch Bay it smoothed to glass again.

Dave

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  20:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
July 25th our second day of vacation we got the snot rocked out of us in 5 ft steep seas in the southern end of the straits of Georgia, had a girl friend aboard from Texas that became a puker. Tried having her sit up top with us but she continued to fill the garbage bag. We made a detour and was able to work our way to boundary pass and found calm waters. Then decided to head to Roche for a couple days since Poets cove did not return our call. After a few days rest in Roche we shoved off for 9 days of gulf island crusing.

Nanaimo economy looks worse then years past by the way.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

marlinmikea

RO# 31533

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  00:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad,
How about a short list of places in the Gulf Islands. Spend a lot of time in the San Juan's but want to venture further. The admirial and I have a spare week at the end of the month and nowhere to go.
Marlin

Homeport: Edmonds, WA Go to Top of Page

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  13:06:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marlinmikea

Brad,
How about a short list of places in the Gulf Islands. Spend a lot of time in the San Juan's but want to venture further. The admirial and I have a spare week at the end of the month and nowhere to go.
Marlin

OK

Really depends on what kind of services you like to have around.
Check into Bedwell (Poets cove ) Nice place and has good crabbing, if your tender is powerful enough you can jet over to port Browning , the place has had a recent face lift and the food is
less then Poets and good pub grub, plus has a cafe. A store is not far away for supplies.

Sidney- nice marina and has town & pubs but charge for garbage now.
Can go to Buchart and Victoria by land transit , or boat to both.

Todds inlet;close to the gardens

I like Genoa Bay for crabbing and is quiet time and peaceful.
Maple Bay is a cool spot and has a pub also can tender down to end of bay to another pub with outstanding view of the bay.

Telegraph harbor is nice, has 2 marina's , one with a pub the nicer one is a stones throw away and a great place to run tender around.

Ganges, crappy docks but nice town and popular place, sorta the FRIDAY HARBOR of the gulf islands, people watching place. If anchoring dig in , lot of dragging here due to winds.

Montague for peaceful boating & pub bus.
Nanaimo for provisons and pubs, plenty of people watching.

I recommmend the Wagoner(sp) to read up on the places I mentioned and for marine parks etc.Plenty more to see and do.

3 day crab license is around 19 bucks but you can also buy a 1 day for around 8 bucks and I find it is all I need to crab out at Genoa, if crabbing in Genoa get in the middle of the harbor behind the rocks near entrance, I killed em there. Can also tender across bay to Colichan (sp) for supplies, wind does kick up in bay so need good tender.
Hope this helps..

Edited by - navman on Aug 08 2010 13:11:17

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

marlinmikea

RO# 31533

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  17:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you

EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Mike

Homeport: Edmonds, WA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: I Think These Qualify For This Forum! Topic Next Topic: Roche harbor trails.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com