boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: JohnPadgett ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Best laptop GPS
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Marines Topic Next Topic: Another Tragedy on The Water  

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  22:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So with the new boat having an enclosed lower helm, I am pondering whether to get a full garmin unit downstairs or just grab one of our old laptops and set it up as a dedicated GPS for the lower helm. What's the best option out there these days? Some of the ones I have looked at in the past got around the fact that a laptop can't dim it's screen sometimes by having a "redlight" function that turned everything a soft red to preserve night vision.

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  22:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go with the Garmin.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  16:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a little Garmin GPS18 puck on the windshield with Garmin PC softwar - it works great

_
Cruisers 5000 Sedan Sport/CAT 12LTR's -
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

Laguna Al

RO# 15865

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  19:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In regards to using a laptop and finding a GPS receiver for it...
Do a quick search on Amazon and a few will come up, there are a few with USB and lengthy cord, or there are flash-drive/USB stick styles. I have the wireless stick but if you have an enclosed helm and are going for a permanent set-up I would opt for a receiver that you can mount out-side and higher up with the extended USB cord.
OpenCPN has an option for night time viewing that dims the whole screen/program to help preserve night vision. I also find it to be very accurate in terms of navigation and very easy to use without having to pay too much attention to it while underway.
If you are looking for radar and fish/depth finder then you might as well go with a full out combo unit for reliability and versatility.
My opinion...

Edited by - Laguna Al on Jul 27 2010 19:07:44

Homeport: Great Lakes Go to Top of Page

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Jul 28 2010 :  13:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony

You should be able to network the bridge unit to the lower helm unit.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  07:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever used the GlobalSat BU-353 Waterproof USB GPS Receiver? Will the USB receivers work with any of the standard charting software/maps that I can load on the laptop? It looks like the Garmin GPS18 is not really in production anymore- only one I can find is a used one online for $125 and the GlobalSat seems to be online for substantially less than that brand new. I can't seem to find any USB receivers online at boatfix but sent Les an email today- hopefully he has them and I just can't find them on the boatfix site!! :)

~~Let's see...1987 Bayliner 4588 & 1995 Boston Whaler 17' Dauntless, and a few other water toys~~

Homeport: GA Go to Top of Page

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  12:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The laptop makes a lot of sense. Advantages are cost, ability to update charts, viewing size and ease of use. You can take the netbook home and work on routes at your leisure, along with downloading google earth shots of places you want to visit. It is much more capable. A small netbook can be purchased for a few hundred dollars, and many navigation software programs are available, free. An external gps receiver can be had for just a few dollars. If you do it right you can take your netbook around to any location on or off the boat, at will. If you have GPS already on the boat it is simple to pipe the nmea data into the usb port and you don't need another antenna.
A Garmin unit will cost you about the same amount just for the charts, the display will be small and you will be stuck dealing with Garmin, not always a good experience.
JMO

Homeport: O'ahu Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  13:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you're going to run the boat a lot from the lower helm then get a "real" plotter, preferably with it's own antenna/receiver rather than networked (for redundancy).

if you're not expecting to do a lot of running from the lower helm, then a laptop makes a lot of sense. that's what i do on my boat.

the trick to using a USB gps receiver is to make sure that the drivers will work with your system and that the GPS comes with a serial emulator so that i can communicate with other programs. On my older laptop (XP) i use a delorme LT20 usb which works pretty good. unfortunately, Delorme's driver is not compatibble with 64bit machines so for my 1 year old convertible tablet i had to get another receiver. I got a bluetooth globalsat which works very well.'

afaik, the garmin is not 64 bit compatible either.

if you're using an old laptop, it's not an issue but if you plan on upgrading you may end up with a useless GPS.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  14:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Fugawi software and GPS receiver, the GlobalSat BU-353, at my lower helm plus a second monitor and second mouse on the flybridge run by an ACER notebook running XP.
I also have a Garmin on the flybridge for redundancy.
The Fugawi system has day, dusk and night modes at the click of a mouse and either mouse controls both upper and lower screens.
The receiver sits on the dash and aquires very quickly. It has never dropped a signal yet.

Gary Peck 1997 Bayliner 3988 MY, twin 330 Cummins

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List

Edited by - The Other Gary on Aug 04 2010 15:07:25

Homeport: Toronto, Lake Ontario Go to Top of Page

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Aug 04 2010 :  23:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary,

Does your Fugawi software provide you with 3D bottom contours? Any Windows compatibility issues that you've found with the Globalsat BU-353? Plug and play?

Al

1977 34 Californian LRC Trawler
2006 Achilles LEX-96 w/ Honda 2HP O/B

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." Anonymous

Homeport: CA Delta, Riverboat Marina Go to Top of Page

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  10:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BU 353 me with a CD to load the app.
Yes it has bottom contours but I do no use them.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  10:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary how did you wire the fly monitor? I was hoping there was a blue tooth solution but I think that interface isn't fast enough yet. Or it wasn't last time I checked...
Edit:
Ooops never mind two cpus.

Edited by - boatbum on Aug 05 2010 11:05:24

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is hard wired Dan, both mouse and monitor cables need to go to the flybridge. I use a small inverter on the bridge to power the monitor. The notebook is powered by my main inveter. The Acer has an app that allows both screens to be displayed simultaneously and I have a Y for the mice (meeces) to run simultaneously as well.

Edited by - The Other Gary on Aug 05 2010 11:13:10

Tonka Boater

RO# 31735

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:14:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider getting an iPad with the Navionics app if you want the functionality of a laptop instead of a dedicated GPS. Navionics on the iPad is amazing and you get almost all of the functionality of a laptop.

Homeport: Wayzata, MN Go to Top of Page

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  20:54:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tonka Boater

Consider getting an iPad with the Navionics app if you want the functionality of a laptop instead of a dedicated GPS. Navionics on the iPad is amazing and you get almost all of the functionality of a laptop.

I'm considering this move too, but wonder about the app. The app on my touch has no 3D bottom contours and I appreciate having that feature in the CA delta with its shallow rivers. Is it the same app for the iPad?

Al

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." Anonymous

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  22:32:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary,
I like that set up! How is your daylight viewing of the screen rb2rb2@gr5tgr5t the bridge on those bright sunny days?

The Other Gary

RO# 143

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  23:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daylight is fine Tony, It is a standard Dell monitor so you can adjust brightness and contrast.
Easily viewable even with polaroid sunglasses.
Use a trackball mouse at both stations so you do not need a mousepad.
Acer Aspire one $300, remote disc drive $80
Fugawi software $200 comes with all charts in US and a navionics card reader
Dell monitor $100
GPS $50
Two mice $80
Ytaps and adapters another $50
Misc extension cords to reach flybridge $50
Total $900 but you have a full PC for email and a helm cam if you want all in one package.

GBCruising

RO# 31091

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently purchased the iPad and based on some comments here, purchased the Navionics software for the Great Lakes. I find it to be exceptionally easy to use, see, plot, etc, as luck would have it, my Raymarine went down, and had to rely on the iPad and paper charts.

Highly accurate (more accurate than some gps' Ive seen). Creating a route is far easier, and tracks are so much easier to see. What I don't like, is my preference for heading up. Haven't figured out yet how to change orientation, or how to name routes and tracks. (haven't had a chance to spend much time with it)

Another gat feature is how fast the charts update as you zoom out and in. I do that a lot in the 10,000 islands area. Lots of rocks and narrow channels...

As for the orientation, maybe I could make a holder for the helm that allows the iPad to spin once the screen is locked :)

GBCruising

RO# 31091

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlyWright

quote:

I'm considering this move too, but wonder about the app. The app on my touch has no 3D bottom contours and I appreciate having that feature in the CA delta with its shallow rivers. Is it the same app for the iPad?

From what I see with the Great Lakes software, it does not show bottom contours. It does allow for a satellite overlay of land elements rather than yellow shapes...

gcolton

RO# 9708

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go with the "real" chart plotter.

Because the new units come with an SC chip capability you can still do all of the at home work would do with a laptop. You just program the chip in your home computer and then load it onboard.

The chart plotter will be built in and you will not have to worry about it being knocked off in rough water.

The screen will be designed to work in direct sun and daylight,

George

If you are not boating or golfing you are wasting your day.

Homeport: EAFB Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

GBCruising

RO# 31091

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  06:16:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlyWright

quote:

From what I see with the Great Lakes software, it does not show bottom contours. It does allow for a satellite overlay of land elements rather than yellow shapes...

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  07:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony I would recommend the Garmin networked units for price, easy updates on software from thier website and they are user friendly. GPS redundency can now be done with the newer units that have the NMEA2000 buss. I use the 4200 series plotters and can switch GPS pucks as simple as pushing 3 buttons. You can also set up priority for instance if you add an AIS class B transponder the GPS from the AIS unit can be your secondary source of GPS signal.
Laptops are great back up units but I generally use mine for the internet not navigation.
Billon.

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Aug 06 2010 07:47:18

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  23:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with us on the river now, I really want to get a laptop GPS set up ASAP! :)
Anyone using SeaClear software? I've been reading god stuff about it.

Also, I think i'd like to set it up on my mac instead of an old laptop til i can get the older laptop up and running properly. Anyone have specific laptop programs they are using that are MAC compatible?

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  23:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would recommend Garmin and an antenna off both plotters using the newer 700 series if you don't want to spend too much money. In fact the 700 has a built in antenna that works really well. That way you can transfer routes and follow breadcrumbs and still have full redundancy. The external antenna is a GA-18 for the 3 digit newer Garmins. It doesn't run off the NMEA2000 network cable. The only problem with anything less than the 3200 series is you can only run radar from one position with any of the 3 digit series newer Garmin plotter. The 700 display will really surprise you I know I was impressed with mine.
With the Garmin's you have automatic daylight to no light sensors on the unit no futzing around. I'd do it right and do it once. Even though I have upgraded 4 times but I really didn't have to upgrade the pair of 3210's were great. I hate to sound like a broken records but your no longer on a lake.
I only have the laptops as a back up if my 3 plotters were to all go down.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Oct 22 2010 23:44:04

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Kerry

RO# 2599

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  02:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gcolton

I would go with the "real" chart plotter.

"Real" chartplotters on real boats these days are in fact off the shelf PC's/laptops/Toughbooks etc

Homeport: CQ Coast Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  07:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woodsong

with us on the river now, I really want to get a laptop GPS set up ASAP! :)
Anyone using SeaClear software? I've been reading god stuff about it.

Also, I think i'd like to set it up on my mac instead of an old laptop til i can get the older laptop up and running properly. Anyone have specific laptop programs they are using that are MAC compatible?

I still have SeaClearII installed on my laptop but haven't used it in well over a year since i only use OpenCPN.

get yourself a USB or Bluetooth GPS, download it with the charts and enjoy it...

with an older machine, the Delorme LT20 is cheap and works well using its serial driver. with newer bluetooth capable computer, get a G-Sat 368BT, one fewer USB cable to worry about.

OpenCPN has a night time setting to preserve your night vision, I do a lot of night time running and it's fine. here is a helm shot i took a few days ago off the jersey coast, the laptop is at the top left. it all looks brighter than it really is, esp. the engine displays, but the laptop running OpenCPN is no brighter than the dimmed plotters

Again, i've done (almost) 2 round trips up the coast to new england, a run to Houston, a few runs to the bahamas and it's been rock solid. Even though it's supposed to be a back up, i rely on it more than the furunos and Cmaps.

they are workign on a Mac version, which is available for download although not fully tested yet

http://opencpn.org/download

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Edited by - PascalG on Oct 24 2010 07:01:17

sabrejocky

RO# 12195

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  07:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://cgi.ebay.com/GLOBALSAT-MR-350P-BULKHEAD-GPS-RECEIVER-WATERPROOF-NEW-/250662085630?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item3a5c9fe3fe#ht_1790wt_907

Cor

"Pretty Penny"
1990 50' High Tech Euro
Wellington, Florida
You ain't much if you ain't Dutch

Homeport: Miami, Florida Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pascal, for OpenCPN, where are you downloading your charts and what file type are they? Do they have the TN River charts? Thanks! I've downloaded it onto my mac but trying to figure out what charts it uses.

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  22:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pascal,
I downloaded the mac version of OpenCN. Here is screenshot of area our new marina is located in:

Maybe there is something wrong with the translation into mac but there is no depths showing on the chart....less detail than the paper charts.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  06:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that looks very different, has to be the chart. with the NOAA ENC charts, the display looks exactly like a paper chart... this looks more like the Cmaps.

try going to TOOLS then the Vector chart Tab and adjust the settings. there is a "show sounding setting"

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Edited by - PascalG on Oct 24 2010 07:15:11

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  07:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve been using the Garmin/bluechart/NRoute system for years at the lower helm. Like it a lot. Moved to a 24" screen this year to help out the eyes

However Garmin stopped making it available as a real time plotter and you would have to download the NRoute from 3rd party sites.

I canít tell how impressed I am with the Navionics software for the DroidX it refreshes faster that my Northstars- I think it uses data from Cell & WiFi for enhancement of the Sat data.

I will be replacing my bridge units soon and will use a Garmin product(s)

_
Cruisers 5000 Sedan Sport/CAT 12LTR's -
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

dudaduma

RO# 22921

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  10:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OpenCPN and the GlobalSat BU-353 USB puck antenna have worked great for me, and the software is free. I have an express cruiser, so I don't use it while running due to the laptop's useless screen in daylight. I have a dedicated JRC 1800C GPS and RADAR, but use the laptop to get the latest free NOAA charts and plot trips, familiarize myself with new areas and just virtually play around various areas in the Great Lakes.

I've had the BU-353 for over 6 years and use it often, not just on the boat, but in the car. It works great with Google Earth Pro, Streets and Trips, Fugawi, Maptech, etc. HIGHLY recommended.

I plan on buying one of those little netbooks, possibly with a solid state hard drive and dedicate that setup to travel and boating; loading only mapping and navigation software. It'll be cheaper than buying a high end dedicated GPS (IMHO).

Let us know what you decide to go with.

"Why do people in ship mutinies always ask for "better treatment"? I'd ask for a pinball machine, because with all that rocking back and forth you'd probably be able to get a lot of free games." ó Jack Handey

Edited by - dudaduma on Oct 24 2010 10:14:21

Homeport: Rochester Hills, MI Go to Top of Page

Simnut

RO# 31503

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  10:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use my laptop and a GPS puck laying on the dash. I find it to work really well and nice to have the laptops versatility with it. I can split the screen to have tides...weather...etc. I use TikiNavigator as my software and found it to be a VERY functional bit of software. From planning (at home) to log books after the trip.....anchor watch....wind, radar and AIS overlay...autopilot capable...depth warning...anchor watch and so on. It has been developed by a retire Norwegian naval officer who really knew what he was doing and loves to keep in contact with the people that use his software. The user interface is VERY easy and intuitive also. Here is a link for more info on it:

http://www.tiki-navigator.com/

With out the cost of the laptop, which I had already, here is what it cost me to setup.

GPS puck - $59.00
TikiNavigator - $149.00
Canadian Charts - $150.00 (yes, up here we have to buy the charts...not like you lucky people south of the line!)

So, for $358 I was ready to rock and roll. And it has performed very well for me, with nothing that I can come up with to improve it. Have a good one y'all!

Homeport: British Columbia Go to Top of Page

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 26 2010 :  16:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I must not be doing something right. I got the soundings to show up on the TN River chart, and even the mile markets, but really...no depth data at all and way less data than I can get on paper from the corps of engineers (paper charts I already have). NOAA doesn't have the river charts though- I downloaded mine from here:
http://www.agc.army.mil/echarts/inlandnav/

Any other TN River folks have a good way to get the Corps charts to display as a GPS track on my laptop? Maybe I should try seaclear but I imagine they download the charts from same location/file????

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  22:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well all, JUST in case someone else is trying to do this.....I ended up going with MacENC as the GPS program. I can't imagine I'm the first to go through trying to figure out how to get the best/highest level of detail for the TN River but I learned a thing or two over the last couple of days researching it. The Corps of Engineers charts are pretty darn limited in their data. Here is a jpeg of one of the pages from their charts:
http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/opn/tnriver/charts/69.jpg
That is the same chart that is in my screenshot above that i got from OpenCpn. I got the same level of detail initially via the demo version of MacENC so I was not happy. It's not the program's fault though as Pascal posed above- it's an issue with the base charts. In emailing with the folks at MacENC it came to my attention that, apparently, the only charts available with any high level of data are from Navionics which are compatible with MacENC. So- the free options off the web just didn't work for the TN River if you want the best charts. I had to go with MacENC and the Navionics charts. I also got the GlobalSat BU-353 GPS puck. All said and done, for all the above, right at about $350. So not free but way less money than what a dedicated plotter with 10" screen would cost me and I can wire a monitor up to the bridge like The Other Gary did and I am sure others have done.
Here is a screenshot of same section of chart via the Navionics chart (MUCH better):

If we get down to the coast (I mean when!!) i'll be able to snag the free NOAA charts and use them with MacENC so all in all, not bad.
Now I just need to learn how to use it. :)
Running off a mac platform instead of the windows makes me much more comfortable about not having things crash. I still will carry the paper charts on the boat but it's not like we are running in 5-8' seas on the river!

Edited by - Woodsong on Oct 30 2010 08:32:05

ocean

RO# 18039

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  14:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woodsong Does one need a GPS receiver or just
the hockey puck, laptop and charts? I have Fugawi and charts loaded on my laptop

Acclaim
38 Ocean Alexander

Food is an important part of your diet

Homeport: Toronto On. Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  19:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must be missing something. Because to me the NOAA chart seems to have all the detail you'd need plus way more land based details.

And besides, your navigating on a river, the channels can change often and you can only go up or down. :-)

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  20:29:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ocean, no GPS receiver needed. The BU-353 GPS Puck basically plugs into your USB port and turns your laptop into a "GPS Receiver." Combine it with a chart program such as seaclarII, OpenCpn, or MacENC, or Fugawi and you've got the charts and the GPS to create a very cheap chartplotter.

Bill- the TN and other inland river charts are not NOAA charts but Corps of Engineer charts. If you have a site that has the detail of NOAA coastal charts but for the TN RIver please do let me know where to find them. I searched and searched and searched and they do not exist as far as I can tell. No doubt you are correct though for coastal waters- the NOAA charts are the way to go and no need for other charts but try and get them for the TN River and they don't exist. However, I'd love to be proven wrong!!! :)

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  22:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, old habits, I meant the AC of E charts.

Woodsong

RO# 20095

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  19:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary,
Not sure if you mentioned it here or on another thread, but you said somewhere or another you were pondering getting a wireless mouse for your bridge station. I haven't tested it on the boat yet but today I bought a wireless mouse for about $15 from the local big box office supply store- it's a Logitech M305 so that I can run with laptop down rb2rb2@gr5tgr5t lower helm, hardwire another screen to bridge and hopefully wireless mouse on the bridge. Just testing it here at the house....it worked from 2 rooms away (through 2 walls, one a plumbing wall, and about 35 feet away) which completely surprised me. I'll know this weekend or sooner when I go up to the boat but can't imagine it won't work to control the mouse from the flybridge with laptop directly below at lower helm. I'll confirm once on the boat but figured you might like to go wireless though since you've already run the wires it may be a mute point. For me though, if it works, all I have to do is run a monitor cable to the bridge to have dual station GPS capacity.

Now to get a flatscreen for the bridge.....

FlyWright

RO# 3887

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  22:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea. Let us know how it works out. I'm using Maptech software on a laptop connected via serial port to an old Garmin 126(?). Since it's hard to find a serial port on today's laptops, I picked up the BU 353 puck to use on my netbook. Seems to work well with my netbook in the yard...will move it to the boat this month. Combining this with a wireless mouse and a FB monitor will allow me to move from my Garmin 276C as a primary chartplotter on the FB.

Does anyone have input on monitor readability in sunlight? Are some models recommended as better than others in glare, contrast and brightness?

Al

caltexfla

RO# 14522

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  08:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The true sunlight viewable marine monitors are thousands of dollars. I have two Furuno Black Box plotters and use a 300cd brightness Acer monitor up on the bridge. It is on a RAM mount, so can be adjusted to a variety of angles; it will wash out completely in any kind of direct sun light; which has been an issue for maybe 20 minutes total in 3 1/2 years since it so easily adjustable. It folds down into a protected cabinet whose polarized lid provides some shading. Here's a pic; usually the monitor is at a 90 degree angle from what is shown, pointed at the helm. this set up has served us well for 8000 nautical miles up and down and around and through virtually the entire east coast

Tony, good move getting MacENC. Their support is outstanding and you get free and seemingly constant upgrades for life; he is very responsive in trying to incorporate customer suggestions; it's almost like an open platform, except one guy does all the coding work for you. I use it as a planning tool and chart look up while I am traveling. I just personally prefer the interface on the Furunos for running the boat. Mine use Navionics Gold. On my "when I have more money than I know what to do with" list is a "real" marine monitor as discussed on another recent thread, but I have never felt an urgent need.

The MacBook's screen is worthless for use underway, even at the lower helm there is too much day light.

George
Hatteras 56 MY
Boston Whaler 130 Sport

Edited by - caltexfla on Nov 11 2010 08:17:42

Homeport: Wherever Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Happy Birthday Marines Topic Next Topic: Another Tragedy on The Water  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.08 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com