BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 130 ]  [ Total: 130 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Cruising Guides
 Inside Passage
 Taking another week.
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Southeast Alaska Cruising Photos Topic Next Topic: I Think These Qualify For This Forum!  

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  14:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like I will be able to get away for 10 days up to the Gulf Islands starting Sept 4th. Anybody else around during that time?

Salt; are you anywhere near Naniamo on the 9th or 10th this September?

Dave

Edited by - Wingspar on Jul 29 2010 14:27:51

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  12:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Right at this moment I am approximately 20.628 nm due North of the fuel dock at Nanaimo Commercial Boat Basin.

I do not have a clue where I will be on September 9 or September 10, 2010 at this time, Dave, but I am sure hopin' it won't be 6 feet under. If you don't hear from me ...

Homeport: Porpoise Bay, BC Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  13:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats not sounding good. Everything Ok with you??

Dave

Homeport: Semiahmoo, WA Go to Top of Page

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Jul 30 2010 :  16:10:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we have both had a summer that Robbie Burns described very well,

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,"

I think my Gangway aft has gone a little agley this summer, Dave. I've been retired for about a hundred years now, and there still aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that I want to do ...

but I AM going to get out in the boat again for a good part of August and September, ...

I just don't know when right now.

Keep in touch, please. If you get the chance in September, just head due North from the fuel dock in Nanaimo (you will have to zig-zag a little to miss the islands ) and when you get to the north side, blow your horn or yell or something and I'll shove the dinghy off the shore to get you ashore. You are too big to bring up on the railway.

OS

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  16:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

You asked, "Salt; are you anywhere near Naniamo on the 9th or 10th this September?"

Well, I am still "... approximately 20.628 nm due North of the fuel dock at Nanaimo ..." and I am afraid that is as close as I am able to get in the next few days.

I was looking forward to getting across the Strait to say 'Hello!" to you and Barb in Nanaimo, but I have too many things to do over here, that I have to take care of now.

We are having a new house built nearer to Sechelt, and there is a lot of preparation with the builder right at the present. Plus, the Marina is adjusting their moorage contract dates and we have to renew our boathouse moorage or negotiate a different moorage. Rates are way up!

Sorry to miss you. Hope you had a great week on the water. Let's see some pics!

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  16:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get a chance to get out as we are in the middle of selling our house. Just trying to work through the issues the home inspector found.

Dave :-(

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  16:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Sorry to hear that, but now I can stop feeling guilty about not hooking up in Nanaimo.

You are selling your house? I am building a new one. Maybe we should have hooked up on that!

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  19:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should also be building a new on in Anacortes when I retire in seven years.

Dave

Old_Salt

RO# 20541

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  19:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave:

Why don'cha just buy our house in Halfmoom Bay? You could retire in a foreign country! That's pretty exotic, don'cha think? We are
approximately 20.628 nm due North of the fuel dock at Nanaimo, and Barb would just LOVE the 17 different levels in our house.

Hey! Wait a minute! Seven years puts us into 2017 and I'm committed to show you the way to Southeast Alaska for a 6 month cruise in 2017! So many things get in the way of 2 day ... and 6 month boat trips.

Keep in touch ...

OS

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  13:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't buy your house as I already bought one here in Redmond,WA. My house was just listed less then two weeks ago and sold with 48 hours. Hoping to have all the inspection things agreed to by tonight. Move will be on the forth of next month.

I was really hoping to retire in less than five years but the crappy economy is pushing it out to seven.

Dave

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Oct 09 2010 :  11:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How everything going Dave ?

My wife and I are thinking of throwing in the towel next year, both gave employers notice of this. Just tired of working for corporate America. Were just uncertain of which direction to go , we have looked at being live a boards but dang, when ya think of all the elements of that it might not sit well come winter time. Heck we might just sell everything, house and boat , see what we have and go from there :-)
Gets kinda scary at times when you think of giving up good paying jobs and the security that goes with that, but life only comes around once for us.

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page

Wingspar

RO# 1979

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything is going fine.

Just a few problems. The guy who did the appraisal on our old house valued it at 20K less then the agreed upon sales price. So after a week of back and forth negotiations with him and our agent got it to within 4K. We were able to move on the forth and tonight moving the kayaks over should be my last load. We moved to Trilogy in Redmond which is a fifty five and older community built around a golf course. They take care of all the maintance in the front and have excellent amenities including a large pool, full workout area, meeting hall and of course golf. This frees me up to do more of my favorite things such as...say... boating.

I wouldn't mind doing what your planning on doing but I do have a son that has just started college and that is costing $$$$$.

We also thought about living on a boat but I do enjoy building large scale model airplanes which would be impossible to do on a boat.

And with the move done I'm planning on going out to winterize the boat the week-end of the 23. I haven't had a chance to get out there for a few months but I've got a few guys that keep and good eye on it for me.

Retirement for me looks to be in 6.5 years. Possible four years if the economy really turns around.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world when you will start your new life away from "corporate America" Please keep me, us, informed on how's it going as I may be in the same boat in the not to distant future.

Dave

navman

RO# 16259

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear ya got things worked out, our boating neighbors live in a community like you bought into and love it.

I'm sure my wife and I will swing back and forth for the next year on what to do, you would not believe what we have covered so far. Right when I think we have a plan and our minds are made up, something else changes it. Oh well, we have time to decide ..

Homeport: Tacoma Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Southeast Alaska Cruising Photos Topic Next Topic: I Think These Qualify For This Forum!  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com