BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Cruisers Yachts Owners
 Tiny Stress Cracks
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: So you want to buy a boat? Topic Next Topic: 41 Chris Craft (Clearwater)  

Holy Grail

RO# 17953

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  21:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a beautiful Cruisers 378 Express and just this season I noticed two, tiny stress cracks that are disturbing.

They are located at the drainage channel from either side of the engine hatch. Very small, but big enough to allow water to drip into the engine compartment after a solid rain or washdown.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if it means I have to contact Cruisers to rectify. Thanks.

Homeport: Massapequa, NY

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  06:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
??? Stress cracks are (unfortunately) a normal part of gelcoat wear and tear: perhaps you're using a wrong term. Also referred to as 'spider cracks', stress cracks, when they do occur, tend to show at a sharp curve or corner in the fiberglass form - say, where the end of a moulded step changes direction and becomes the side-wall.

Stress cracks are only in the gelcoat, and are not structural - - that is, they do not go thru the underlying fiberglass matting. As such, water wouldn't go 'thru' a stress crack. And you're right, if your cracks are large enough so as to allow water to pass thru, then you may have an issue which Cruisers would like to know about.

My '03 3372 has a few stress cracks in select areas, but water doesn't get thru them. while they can be repaired, mine are on rather exposed areas, and I'm afraid the repair will be far less sightly than the cracks (which you really have to look for to find.)

How old is the boat?? 378 is a nice ride, btw!

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

Holy Grail

RO# 17953

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  19:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks "Good" for the follow up. Based on what you're saying, I'm going to have to talk to Cruisers. The cracks (stress or spider) do not look that big, but are allowing water to drip into the engine compartment. Not good.

Boat is a 2005 and I just love it. I've noticed some wear and tear now surfacing. Caulking might need some repair as well. Guess I'll reach out to the Cruisers Service/ Help Desk. Real nice guys.

I understand your concern about cosmetics with your repair needs. If you really have to look for em to find em, no biggie.

Homeport: Massapequa, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: So you want to buy a boat? Topic Next Topic: 41 Chris Craft (Clearwater)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com