BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 112 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Vanuatu and pics
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Harken roller furling how to rig Topic Next Topic: Tuvalu and Pics  

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  22:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vanuatu is an amazing place. The rugged terrain limits communications on the islands and many villages have their own language. The people can be quite modern to quite primitive, depending on your ability to get to the outlying areas. Most people speak 5 different languages, including English and French, even in the most primitive villages. It's a little unsettling to be sitting next to a guy carrying a spear and wearing nothing but a penis sheath but can converse fluently in English, French and Bislama plus his native village "talk".

Of the nations in the South Pacific this is the least Christian. When the missionaries first arrived ashore they were promptly dispatched and eaten. Most of the villages are still animist.

Everything grows rapidly here, and to gigantic proportions. Its due to the volcanic nature of every island in Vanuatu. Volcano's erupt everywhere you go and you are free to walk down to the lava, dodging the boulders hurtling overhead from the explosions. There are salt water crocs in a few places so ask before you swim. Wonderful people, simple and welcoming. Men pay a bride price and the government limits the amount to about $1,000 (USD). I almost managed to sell off a female crew member here, but we couldn't settle on the final price. Two pigs, a few lobster (which are the size of medium size dogs) and a skinny chicken....I was holding out for a fat chicken but they guy wouldn't do it. They stopped eating people (hopefully) around 1987.

Homeport: O'ahu

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  00:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of those places that I have wanted to get to for eons. I anticipate quite a bit of "culture shock", but when I visit other people's homes I do try very hard to see the world as they do. No doubt their view is different from my current one.

They still have a John Fromm "cult" if I remember correctly... So very interesting.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

Peleka7

RO# 691

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  02:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do have the John Fromm's. Good attitude to have and you would be made welcome. I always apologized first hand for any cultural errors I may make in the time I spent in any villages and refrained from trying to change them in any fashion. I have a thousand stories of the miscues I made, all unknowingly.
Biggest problem everywhere in the islands, for visitors, is that every villager knows about everything that is going on and they don't inform you, assuming you would know everything also. I could elaborate on this but basically anyone in the village can tell you exactly what any person is doing and where he is, what time the tides are, when the moon rises and sets, and what birds will be flying over the lagoon today. I once made an entire village wait 4 hours for me. They had a "welcome home" ceremony, a special thanks, and I was the honoree. Unfortunately no one told me about it, as they don't understand visitors aren't "in tune" like they are.

Apologies for picture size. Still learning about this. I'll get it right for the Fiji pics.

Edited by - Peleka7 on Aug 18 2010 03:44:05

Homeport: O'ahu Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  03:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"the Market" and the "backyard fence" served for excellent communications for a long time prior to the telephone and "the news"... We have forgotten all about it, but it was a way of life, and one that worked quite well. ( It also kept communities together... )

--

On oic size:

No problems here...

640x480 OR 800x600 pixels should be just fine. If you need to scroll side to side to view the thread, then they are too large... Most users can accept what you have posted above. ( I think. )

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - Radioactive on Aug 18 2010 03:58:03

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Harken roller furling how to rig Topic Next Topic: Tuvalu and Pics  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com