boat-ed.com
BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 14 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: Lancer ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Problem with iCom M-34
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lets try and figure out what GPS will work for me Topic Next Topic: North Port L.I.  

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  09:54:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had an iCom M-34 handheld for a few years and never had any problem. Recently I tried to use it and was not able to hear anyone on the radio.

I've confirmed that it transmits and others hear me but I can not hear any replies. I don't hear any chatter on 16 and nothing on the weather channels.

My volume is turned up, squelch it set one step above open and the mute is off. I can hear static when squelch is open and the unit beeps when I press buttons, but that's it.

I've emailed iCom tech support and will see what they suggest but thought I would toss it out hear as well. Hoping it's something stupid that I've missed.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  12:09:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something is wrong inthe FM Demodulator circuit. Audio is not being "Decoupled" from the FM frequencies. Probably cheaper to buy a new one.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  13:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul good and possible diagnosis, it could also be the receiver's front end device has no gain and or excessive noise figure. In either case send it back or replace the unit. I have various ICOM and Uniden VHF marine handhelds. The ICOM's have held up fine the Uniden's have had battery issues.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

Shadowcruzr

RO# 1702

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  07:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Icom equip since 1982 when stationed on my first ship. Always held up very well. I'd be using it now if it wasnt for the great deal I got on my current radio.

Paul
ETC, USCG, Ret
My oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic..., did not end when I retired. I stand by it till the end.

Homeport: Elizabeth City, NC Go to Top of Page

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  08:21:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gentelman,

I heard back from Icom tech support. They sent a nice email but had no idea what could be wrong. Their only suggestion was to send it to them along with a description of what's wrong and a copy of my original sales receipt for further diagnoses. I've had the radio about 3 years and do not have the original receipt. I think my wife got it for me as an xmass gift.

I wanted this radio because of there excellent reputation and have used it very little in 3 years. I'm pretty disappointed that I should have something like this go wrong on a somewhat expensive device. I am considering sending it to them with a note that says just that and see how they handle it...

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Lets try and figure out what GPS will work for me Topic Next Topic: North Port L.I.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.09 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Shop BoatStore.net!     Shop for Toys & Games!    Shop for Housewares!

Boatered.com