BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 140 ]  [ Newest Member: wlsomaha ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Formula Owners
 27PC with twin 4.3's
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: model LS-Three Topic Next Topic: UPDATE: Formula Raftup: Still Pond 9/18-9/19  

Phillbo

RO# 2553

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  11:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Thinking about going to look at the attached boat but the 4.3's just don't appear to be enough power for a boat that size.

Anyone own a similar boat with 4.3's? Or anyone with a similar boat but larger motors have input on this one being under powered.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-formula-27pc-97377802

Any Advice is appreciated .

Homeport: Arizona

Prospective

RO# 23085

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  11:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Formulas are great boats. I don't know what engine options are available on the model you are looking at. But my last boat was a monterey 282 that was 28ft and 10ft beam. It weighed about 10k lbs. I had 5.0 Volvos in it but the 4.3's were an option. In my boat, no way would I have wanted the 4.3's. I have 4 kids so us, our stuff, and a dink for a long weekend is a pretty heavy load. But I used full tabs and max throttle to get it on plain. Then could back off. But with 4.3s I'm not sure I could have done it. I would go small block v-8's in that boat if possible.

1990 Tiara 3600 Open
Twin 3208 CAT Diesels

Homeport: Barrington, RI Go to Top of Page

TIMEOUT90

RO# 19919

Posted - Sep 24 2010 :  20:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a 1989 26PC with twin 4.3LX alphas (205hp each). I believe the non-LX motors are about 190hp. The 26PC was 29' LOA with an 8.5 beam. That power setup would get me about 40mph and a decent hole shot, but it certainly wasn't overpowered. Most of the 27PC's I've seen have the 7.4 setup which would be a powerful arrangement since the 31PC I owned did about 50MPH with that same setup. I'm guessing that even the 4.3LX motors would leave you wanting more, especially with a full load of passengers, but it really depends on how you'd use it.

-Dana

Formula 41PC

Homeport: Hudson, WI Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: model LS-Three Topic Next Topic: UPDATE: Formula Raftup: Still Pond 9/18-9/19  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com