BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Sailing and Sailboats
 Jamaican Sloop on NatGeo.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: What bottom Paint Topic Next Topic: Harken roller furling how to rig  

Thudpucker

RO# 10503

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  02:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An hour program on pirates of the Caribbean. The Real pirates from way back in History.

They said the Pirates like the Jamiacan Sloop!
So I was glad when she asked what that was, I didn't know either.
SO a Sloop is a Sail boat with the Sails mounted sideways.
It's feature is that it can slither along in any kind of a wind with less handling.
However the pirates like it because it could slither right up alongside a victim for boarding.

Smaller than I thought. About 65' or so and kinda flat bottomed.
They went the open oceans in those things.

A guy's just gotta wonder what was going on in some Scalawag's mind as he crewed on a small boat like that, a ton or so of booty in the hull, keeping that boat low in the water, and the waves pounding down on you from 20' or so, and the Frequency between waves about the same as the boat length or somewhat longer.

My trip to Korea and back on Troop ships pretty much cured me of ever making a trip on the ocean again. These Pirates almost lived on the ocean.
I wonder if they trimmed the sails down and rode out the bad water or did they keep the Sails up and go for it?

Conservative in every sense of the word.

Homeport: AL.
  Previous Topic: What bottom Paint Topic Next Topic: Harken roller furling how to rig  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com